Can someone please explain to me the love affair with Brett Ratliff?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 7, 2009.

1. .::PriMeTiMe_KiD::.

Brett Ratliff Redux

possible answers....his arm strength, poise in the pocket.

true, mostly in the preseason he was playing against 3rd string competition. i like Erik Ainge more than Ratliff, and Clemens. Unlike, the other two, Ainge, is a proven winner in the collegiate system, and is accustomed to the under-center offense that the Jets play out of.

I despise the Spread offense that most system QB's like Ratliff and at times, Clemens played under. Clemens has proven that despite his experience under the tutelage from Pennington (perhaps one of the best game management QB's of all time) that he has poor decision making. All he possibly learned from Brett Favre was the timing of the long ball (which was often), and to read a playbook better.

Most of the INTs Favre through were either horribly underthrown, overthrown, or misread of the route. You do not come onto a team and start without knowing the playbook. Another reason for the Mangini firing.

His mis-management of Favre, Gholston, and other players made the situation a combustible mix in East Rutherford, which eventually imploded at the end of the season.

2. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It's only Russian Roulette in your opinion. In my opinion, it is providing an opportunity for a potential franchise QB to go out there and show he has what it takes.

3. xxedge72x

Because this kid deserves a shot, and he likely won't get it.

4. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

I think it's that he hasn't ruined everyone's fantasy of him being some kind of savior yet. Clemens while not horrible, is not going to be the Jets new Namath and everyone knows it now.

5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Clemens is not the answer and we will probably go into next season with what we have.

That leave Eric A and Brett R, either would be better than Clemens.

6. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

1. He showed very good arm strength in pre-season
    2. He showed very good accuracy in pre-season
    3. He showed very good poise in the pocket in the pre-season
    4. He has a good QB build
    5. He's already on our roster
    6. Kellen Clemens sucks

So the love affair is that we want to see more of what Ratliff can do. Was his pre-season performance a fluke?... possibly... granted its against lesser players but he still has to make all those throws.

We just want him to get a shot.

7. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

Simply put, the reason we're high on Ratliff is that he looks like a young Brett Favre.

There's a bounce in his step, a command in his presence, and high voltage in his young arm.

I'll give you another reason why: Derrick Ward. Another guy who looked great in the preseason who turned out to be the real deal.

Sometimes, if you look, you can just see the talent. Clowney is another one.

For 2009, I think you need to draft a QB somewhere in the 2nd or 4th round (let the goddamn scouts earn their fricking money and find a decent prospect), cut Ainge who's slow and stinks (yes, you can see that too), and bring a veteran in as an emergency stop gap in case all the kids fall on their faces.

Otherwise, suffer the growing pains and try to build something with a young strong foundation that might actually turn into a mighty force that can eventually "protect this house."

8. xxedge72x

My feelings exactly.

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I agree with you here, except with the Kellen Clemens sucks thing. I won't go as far as to say he "sucks" or is a bust, but one more year of incompetence and that label can be truly applied

As for Ratliff, he played real well the 3rd stringers, so next year he should at least get a shot at the 2nd stringers, and even battle Clemens for the starting spot if no other QBs are picked up. The first thing I want to hear from out new HC is "the QB spot is an open competition, whoever wants it more and does the right things gets the job."

10. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

The $140M wasn't "win now" until they picked up Favre.

11. JetsLookingforDWare

He's a 3rd string UDFA with 4 quarters of preseason success against 2nd, third, and non-stringers.

Deserves a shot? Maybe down the road, if he keeps improving. 'Til then, the guy who REALLY deserves a legit shot on this roster is Kellen Clemens.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

So the fact that the 3rd string UDFA was pushing Clemens for the #2 position last season and by all reports was outplaying him throughout TC and preseason means nothing because why?

13. xxedge72x

Kellen's shot was underwhelming. That is why I propose the Jets go into 2009 with Clemens / Ratliff / Ainge in full QB competition. Give these guys a chance.

I put my money on Ratliff to win a competition of that nature, but sure, Clemens should get another chance too.

14. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

He had 22 less INT's than Favre.

15. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Sorry I did not realize NFL teams regularly spend $140m (before Favre ever entered the picture) on veteran free agents as part of a "rebuilding" effort. My mistake.

16. xxedge72x

When one of the players being replaced is Adrian Clarke, then yes... it is rebuilding.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I don't think it mean nothing. It could mean that they are both good. It could mean that they are both mediocre. It could also mean that neither of them has any business playing QB in the pros.

18. JetsLookingforDWare

Kellen won all 4 games on a 4-12 team, and could have had as many as 6.

In 8 starts.

If you even want to call that shit a legit shot.

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Pushed but did not pass, so either they both suck or are both pretty good.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

3 games.... Chad got the one Miami win.