Can someone please explain to me the love affair with Brett Ratliff?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Jan 7, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes, he seems to have a pretty strong arm from the 2 passes I have ever seen him throw. Can someone please make an argument for this guy against ANYONE in the NFL? And don't tell me 'the team thinks that he's better than Clemens' because that's just an unconfirmed rumor and the team is now in disarray anyway. What makes 98 peole on this board vote for a guy that they know so little about?

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

FTR...i'm not on the Ratliff train...because we've only seen what he can do against 3rd stringers in the preseason. I'd like to see more of what he can do against stiffer competition...but i'll reserve judgement on him till that happens.

3. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

The backup qb is very lovable because he has yet to screw up.

4. JFToLong

JFToLong Banned

New here.

I think he is intriguing, but who knows. Here is my take:

1) showed ability to make all the throws
    2) showed very good accuracy both in pocket and on run
    3) showed poise
    4) showed the ability to bounce back after a bad throw

Pre-season is not the real thing, but neither is college and guys come out as number one picks showing those things in college instead of in pre-season.

He looked way better than Clemens in similar situations.

5. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Abyz, are you gonna add something new to your avatar for every new thread you create?

6. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

There seemed to be plenty of solid press about him during training camp last year, from what I remember. As far as comparing him to Clemens, I'm not sure, but Clemens hasn't shown a whole lot at this point and he's been here long enough. Doesn't hurt to see what Ratliff can do this coming preseason. We likely still need to look to draft someone in any event. Maybe we need to stop picking up the aged vets on the cusp of their careers to carry the team a year or two and just groom some young rookie to get it done.

7. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

I'm glad this thread finally happened; it was about time. What a joke. He's a back-up!

8. JetsLookingforDWare

Anyone who saw him dominate those 3rd stringers last preseason knows the kind of talent this guy has.

I would feel totally comfortable with him as our starter going forward.

Thank you for starting this thread. It's the most sane thing I've seen written on this board since the season ended.

9. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

apparently looking better than Clemens in pre-season is all people needed to see. what a joke.

10. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

His name is Brett and its not Favre.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I didn't vote for Ratliff, so I can't speak to that. However, I think Ratliff has potential. Does that mean he will ever be an NFL starter? Of course not. But then again, if Chad Pennington has fooled two teams already, why not Brett Ratliff?

12. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Maybe it's that the people on the board know Clemens all too well.

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Unlike all the other reasonable options, we don't know that he's pretty bad.

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Alio the Fool...the screen name suits you pretty good, Alio

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No love affair, he just seems to be the best of the people we have.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Sure enough it was against the second and third stringers, but he also had second and third string offense...balances out don't you think?

17. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Who cares, how do we know if they don't try him...Look at the Ravens and even the Falcons on what they did this year with a rookie QB. Oh, but not the Jets, they need to be trained for 3 years, then he gets traded and plays for another team..

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

This is pretty similar to my take. Personally, I voted for Clemens. But I also believe Ratliff deserves at least an opportunity to win a spot in camp.

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

actually i don't...because what you do with your skillset is a reflection of what level of competition you're playing against.

If Ratliff is the man....let's see how he does against the starting Raven's defense. If he has the skillset to beat that defense or a reasonable facsimile...then i'll agree with you.

Right now...Ratliff is a GREAT backup....because that's all he's done...play well against backups.

I'll reserve further judgement till he plays against starters....just my opinion. :)

20. Determination#4

Determination#4 New Member

To answer the OP:

We have quite a few fans who believe that Ratliff is somehow gonna do better than both Chad or Brett "Just Because" and are not willing to entertain the idea that the free agency aquisitions that happened last off season for the Jets might actually take a "whole two years" to pay off !!

Poor Ratliff if management throws him to those same "fan-wolves" that are willing to throw Favre under the bus right now !!!