Woody/Cowher Situation MERGED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jan 6, 2009.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

R U now claiming that I am Cimini & work for the NY Daily News?

2. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Well, if they want to sell tickets they need to start getting the right people in place
    soon. This is NY, get it done soon, or they will be leasing the new stadium to
    a different team.

3. championjets69

Actually the year the new stadium is opened will be the year that the blackouts come to the NYJs in the local TV markets

4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Didn't hear it, but I'm done with this Cowher "who called who and when" nonsense, and I don't blame Woody. Does a a day or two matter? C'mon, sounds like Cowher's being a baby about this. If he doesn't want to deal with Tanny, fine. Wait 'til Woody comes back. I mean, had Woody called him from the Eiffel Tower, Cowher would complain that it should be face to face. What's changed in a week? This is all BS. I'll go to the WFAN site and see if the interview is there. Maybe it'll change my opinion, but i am getting sick of all this.

5. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Do we really need another cowher thread? There is a big long one already. Some people just need there attention

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

You said it.
    Reading this board is like dealing with my wife. Once she gets on a topic, she never lets it go.
    I say "to hell" with anyone that doesn't want to be our coach.

7. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but if I OWNED a team, I wouldn't be going out of my way and bending over backwards just to lure an EMPLOYEE. How many of your bosses scheduled an interview at YOUR convenience where YOU want to meet to discuss what YOU want to be paid? Get the f-ck out of here. If I was Woody, I'd tell Cowher to shove his ring up his a--. Billick has a ring, where is he? Martz has a ring, where is he? Stop pretending that having a Super Bowl ring is the end all be all. Trent Dilfer has a ring, but I'm not asking him to be our QB. Enjoy the booth Cowher, you suck anyway.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm claiming that you will cling to any story from any source to continue to harp on a non issue. Cowher didn't want to coach anyone, that's the way it goes.

9. championjets69

Look I have no idea why you would berate me as all I did is go on line to the News site & saw the story & posted it for any one who did not go on the News & would not have seen the article. If you are so pissed that Cowher dissed us then complain DIRECTLY to the person whose byline wrote the story or the organization that the story writer works for if you object to the article. There is blog there for you to do just that if the story offends you

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

it's been kicked to death, Champ.....

11. championjets69

That is ur opinion which U R surely entitled to. If U object to the article U also take it up with Cimini & the Daily News. It was a article about us & I saw it & posted it for anybody who did not see it & choose to read it

12. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Bill Cowher confirms Woody Johnson snub kept him from taking Jets job

Bill Cowher, in his first extensive comments about his ill-fated flirtation with the Jets, said Tuesday morning there was a "very, very slim chance" that he would've accepted an offer to the coach the team, but the former Steelers coach confirmed that he wanted to meet with owner Woody Johnson to "get some kind of closure."

Cowher, appearing on WFAN's "Boomer and Carton Show," made like a politician, sidestepping a lot of questions. But he did make one definitive statement: There's no chance he will coach the Jets this season.

Asked if he'd take a meeting with Johnson if the owner called and apologized for not speaking with him last week, Cowher said, "No, not at this point. I've committed myself. I'm not going to coach next year."

As the Daily News reported last Saturday, Cowher withdrew from consideration - several hours after agreeing to speak with the Jets - because he was told Johnson was out of the country and wasn't immediately available. Cowher confirmed that he never spoke with Johnson or GM Mike Tannenbaum.

Johnson's people claim he was willing to speak with Cowher by phone, but we hear that Johnson never even got a message that Cowher wanted to talk to him. The owner, who missed interviews with Brian Schottenheimer, Bill Callahan and Steve Spagnuolo, returned from vacation Monday and will be involved in the remainder of the interviews.

Asked if there's anything Johnson could've said to change his mind about staying with CBS, Cowher said: "Those are hypotheticals. I can't answer that because I don't know. If I was going to close the door to coming back, I wouldn't have listened to anybody and I would've come out and said that. There's a part of me that is going to listen, but I have an option right now (his CBS job) and I don't want to close the door on that. Realistically speaking, there's probably a very, very slim chance I would even come back this year ... I've tried to stay open-minded throughout the process and I've been willing to listen. I don't want to come across as someone who is smug."

He added, "The Jets never really contacted me until a lot of this flurry took place. When it did, I was respectful. I need to get some kind of closure to the situation, one way or the other because I didn't want it to linger."

Asked if he was scared away by Brett Favre, Cowher said, "No, are you kidding me?"

Tanny should be fired. Bottom line.

13. KSJets

KSJets New Member

They aren't objecting to the article...they're objecting to YOU posting it in another thread instead of in the Bill Cowher thread.

14. Kenny

Kenny New Member

who cares anymore about cowher.. some of you guys talk about this guy like he's a all time coach which he is not

15. Salz

Salz New Member

What a deceptive thread title and idiotic interpretation of Cowher's comments. He doesn't say anywhere that he would have taken the Jets job had Woody not been on vacation at the time. Fact of the matter is, Woody is back from vacation now and would eagerly meet with Cowher. However, Cowher made it clear many times HE DOESN'T WANT TO COACH IN 2009. Get over it!

16. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

You are putting words into his mouth (the subject line of your thread) that he never actually actually said in the interview. This interview has been discussed extensively in another thread here, and your theory that he said he was snubbed has already been pretty effectively rejected.

Besides ... let's just say for a minute there is something to this. Cowher said (exact quote) that there always was "a very, very slim chance" he'd take the job. So if I understand you right, you are mad at Woody for not cutting short his vacation and dropping everything to be at the interview of a guy who said he never was that interested in the job and he was only talking to Jets because "he wants to stay openminded?"

Okiedokie!

17. Salz

Salz New Member

Cowher may try to spin it for whatever reason that he could have met with Woody had he not been on vacation, but all signs point to the fact he's not ready to return. You need to get over this guy.

18. Salz

Salz New Member

Here's a good reply to this garbage:

For The Record: Cowher would be a quick fix
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009
    Last updated: Wednesday January 7, 2009, 1:52 PM
    NorthJersey.com
    Comment on this story Email this story Printer friendly version Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size

Bill Cowher still seems a bit miffed that Jets owner Woody Johnson was out of the country last week when Cowher was hoping to meet with him. Cowher said Tuesday on WFAN that he wanted to "get some kind of closure" by meeting with Johnson.

So what?

Would that "closure" have meant that Cowher suddenly would have been bowled over by the Jets and would have reversed his stance against coaching in the NFL in the 2009 season? Not likely, considering that the day the Jets' firing of Eric Mangini became public, Cowher made it clear to sources close to him that he wasn't interested in coaching in 2009, and is enjoying his role on CBS' "NFL Today'' show.

While it probably wasn't the best time for Johnson to take a vacation, the fact is he is back and certainly could meet with Cowher now. And it's not as if anything major has really changed in the pro football landscape over the last few days, so Cowher and Johnson could have the same conversation today that they could've had eight days ago.

No matter how Cowher spins it, he sounds like a guy who really doesn't want to coach in 2009. And there's nothing wrong with that, just as there certainly is nothing wrong with the Jets looking in another direction, now that the most famous jaw this side of Jay Leno won't be coming to Florham Park.

Whomever the Jets hire as their next head coach, one attribute he must have is the desire to be there. Some sources aren't so sure that the Jets' quarterback last season, Brett Favre, wanted to be with the team after his attempts to engineer a trade to teams such as Minnesota, Chicago and Tampa Bay didn't work out.

So why would the Jets want to take a chance on a coach who doesn't seem all that interested in them? Cowher can write his own ticket in the business, and he's earned that right. It's better for everyone concerned that Cowher takes his time and finds a situation that's right for him in 2010, while the Jets find someone who is right for them in 2009.

Bill Cowher still seems a bit miffed that Jets owner Woody Johnson was out of the country last week when Cowher was hoping to meet with him. Cowher said Tuesday on WFAN that he wanted to "get some kind of closure" by meeting with Johnson.

So what?

Would that "closure" have meant that Cowher suddenly would have been bowled over by the Jets and would have reversed his stance against coaching in the NFL in the 2009 season? Not likely, considering that the day the Jets' firing of Eric Mangini became public, Cowher made it clear to sources close to him that he wasn't interested in coaching in 2009, and is enjoying his role on CBS' "NFL Today'' show.

While it probably wasn't the best time for Johnson to take a vacation, the fact is he is back and certainly could meet with Cowher now. And it's not as if anything major has really changed in the pro football landscape over the last few days, so Cowher and Johnson could have the same conversation today that they could've had eight days ago.

No matter how Cowher spins it, he sounds like a guy who really doesn't want to coach in 2009. And there's nothing wrong with that, just as there certainly is nothing wrong with the Jets looking in another direction, now that the most famous jaw this side of Jay Leno won't be coming to Florham Park.

Whomever the Jets hire as their next head coach, one attribute he must have is the desire to be there. Some sources aren't so sure that the Jets' quarterback last season, Brett Favre, wanted to be with the team after his attempts to engineer a trade to teams such as Minnesota, Chicago and Tampa Bay didn't work out.

So why would the Jets want to take a chance on a coach who doesn't seem all that interested in them? Cowher can write his own ticket in the business, and he's earned that right. It's better for everyone concerned that Cowher takes his time and finds a situation that's right for him in 2010, while the Jets find someone who is right for them in 2009.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

19. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

Couldn't Cowher just wait a week or was last week the only week he would ever think about taking a coaching job for the '09 season?

20. JetsLookingforDWare

Woody's a bitch and Cowher is overrated anyway.

Both of them can go suck a sack somewhere.

Well...unless Cowher has a change of heart and wants to coach here of course.