Woody/Cowher Situation MERGED

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Jan 6, 2009.

1. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

This confirms it. Woody is a complete douchebag.

2. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Or the agent says there's a 95% chance of him coaching to get top dollar.

3. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Another confirmation that Woody is an idiot

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3814582

Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski did indeed interview with the New York Jets and he will therefore not be retained by the school, two people close to the situation told ESPN's Joe Schad on Tuesday.

Boston College athletic director Gene DeFilippo, who told Jagodzinski he would be fired if he interviewed, had not spoken with the coach as of 6 p.m. this evening, but he was hoping to meet with Jagodzinski face-to-face as early as Wednesday.
    ACC blog

Boston College will need to seriously regroup after Jeff Jagodzinski put the program in flux, writes ESPN.com's Heather Dinich. Blog

"It's just a matter of putting two and two together," Chris Cameron, BC's associate director for media relations, said Tuesday night. "He was told by Gene on Saturday that if he went on the interview he'd be fired."

DeFilippo, sources say, thought that Jagodzinski was "disloyal" by not speaking with him before scheduling the Jets interview. One source said on Tuesday that Jagodzinski's decision to follow through on the interview made his fate "a done deal."

DeFilippo said late Tuesday afternoon that he called Jagodzinski in the morning and was waiting for a return phone call. At that time, he didn't know if Jagodzinski already had met with the Jets, who are seeking a replacement for Eric Mangini.

"Haven't heard a word,'' DeFilippo said, according to the Boston Globe.

Sitting in his office late Tuesday afternoon, a relaxed DeFilippo told The Associated Press he last spoke to Jagodzinski on Sunday.

"Sometimes two people who really, really like each other can disagree on an issue. That's OK. Nothing wrong with that," DeFilippo said. "I really like Jags a lot and I've enjoyed working with him here for two years and he did a wonderful job here.

"So we're going to sit down, hopefully, and talk and we'll see where we come out."

The Jets declined comment Tuesday through a team spokesman, neither confirming nor denying that Jagodzinski was interviewing for the coaching vacancy.

Sources told the Globe that Jagodzinski has made multiple inquiries into returning to the NFL, where he was a coach for the eight seasons before taking over the head coaching job at BC. The newspaper reported that Jagodzinski has put out feelers for offensive coordinator positions as well as head coaching spots.

The Globe also reported that Jagodzinski had told members of his staff that he would give them an update sometime on Tuesday. But nobody had publicly acknowledged speaking to the coach.

A source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN's Kelly Naqi that DeFilippo had no idea that Jagodzinski had an interview scheduled with the Jets. The AD found out when a reporter called him on Saturday morning to get his comment on it. DeFilippo immediately called Jagodzinski and asked if it were true, according to the source, and the coach confirmed it.

"The surprise factor definitely played a big role in this situation," the source said.

DeFilippo told Jagodzinski to meet with him in person that afternoon and -- with another representative from BC present -- told Jagodzinski that he'd be fired if he went through with the interview. The source said Jagodzinski made it abundantly clear at that meeting that he was going to go through with the interview, so it was just a matter of time before his termination would become official.

The source said BC was unaware if Jagodzinski had been inquiring about other job openings in the NFL.

Jagodzinski has not responded to ESPN's requests for comment.

Meanwhile, the Jets' search continues. Owner Woody Johnson formally met with offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer on Tuesday, a person familiar with the search told The Associated Press.

Johnson was out of the country last Friday when general manager Mike Tannenbaum began the first round of interviews with Schottenheimer and assistant head coach/offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

Callahan will sit down with Johnson on Wednesday, according to the person, who requested anonymity because the individual wasn't authorized to discuss the search to replace the Mangini.

Johnson and Tannenbaum will fly to Arizona on Thursday to interview Cardinals offensive line coach Russ Grimm. The former four-time Pro Bowl guard with Washington is in his second season with the Cardinals, who play at Carolina in the NFC divisional playoffs Saturday.

The Jets had no other interviews scheduled as of early Tuesday night.

The Jets will interview Indianapolis defensive coordinator Ron Meeks on Friday at the team's practice facility in Florham Park, N.J.

Meeks, 54, has been in charge of the Colts' defense for the last seven sevens and was a candidate for the Washington job last offseason that went to Jim Zorn. He's the first minority candidate to speak with New York, putting the Jets in compliance with the NFL's Rooney Rule.

New York met on Saturday with Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who has also interviewed for the vacancies in Cleveland and Detroit. The Jets have also received permission to speak with Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, but haven't set a date for an interview. The Ravens play at Tennessee in the AFC divisional playoffs Saturday.

Jagodzinski, 45, led the Eagles to the Atlantic Coast Conference title game in his two seasons, losing both times to Virginia Tech.

BC finished this season with a 9-5 record after a 16-14 loss to Vanderbilt in the Music City Bowl on Dec. 31, ending an eight-game bowl winning streak for the Eagles. They were 11-3 in Jagodzinski's first season.

Jagodzinski spent two years as BC's offensive coordinator, starting in 1997 when Matt Hasselbeck was the quarterback. Hasselbeck is now with Seattle, which must put together a staff under new coach Jim Mora.

Jagodzinski was an assistant under Mora in Atlanta and has experience as an NFL offensive coordinator with Green Bay in 2006.

If Jagodzinski leaves, Frank Spaziani looms as a possible replacement. He has been a BC assistant for 12 years, the last 10 as defensive coordinator. Sources told Schad that other in-house candidates Steve Logan and Jack Bicknell will also be considered to succeed Jagodzinski.

"I want a coach who wants to be at BC for a long time," DeFilippo said Monday.

The guy meets with Brian Freakin Schottenheimer, but not Cowher?!

W.T.F?!

4. Gunther

Gunther Member

Truth Hurts
    This organization will go another 10 years at least before they can even think about sniffing a Superbowl appearance.
    Management is shoddy and anyone who says different is truly a Jets Fan
    Unfortunately right now we Jets Fans need to be Smart Fans and call it what it is.
    This organization is in deep trouble as far as wins are concerned.
    We have no idea what tomorrow will bring, but as long as you have people at the top making knee jerk decisions, we know tomorrow won't be a bright sun shinny day

5. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Here's a question. would we owe CBS a first round draft pick if he left before his contract was up?:wink:

6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

This Cowher situation is losing its lustre....enough already. He doesn't want to coach....i really don't give a rats' ass how it went down..the fact is...it WENT down. Time to move on.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

"Johnson's people claim he was willing to speak with Cowher by phone, but we hear that Johnson never even got a message that Cowher wanted to talk to him."

That speaks volumes about Tannenbaum.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

The guy committed to CBS...why are people still harping on this?

10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Burn in Hell Woody!

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I 2nd even third your post

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Honestly, as much as I want to read his comments that way, Cowher did a masterful job of being a politician. His comments can be interpreted in more ways than the bible.

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I concur let's move on from Cowher.

14. skipper

skipper Member

Can we drop the whole Cowher thing and move on? He didn't want to coach this year and the Jets weren't his top choice if he changed his mind. If he was doing it just for the $ I wouldn't want him.

15. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I agree.

People are just bringing it up again because they're pissed about how it went down. What's funny though is that there are so many ways to interpret what Cowher said. Some read it one way and then pin the blame on Woody, others read it another way and pin the blame on Tannenbaum, and others read it another way and say "he wasn't going to coach anyway".

I'm sick of the whole thing. I never wanted him in the first place.

16. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

A very very slim chance he would have accepted..meaning...unless you offered me mad dollars. What else would change his mind...the new facility? Free gift cards to Sears Auto Center? Did he need to have someone tell him they thought he was God..then he would reply "how could I pass up this offer...they told me I was God".

Closure? You got it by not getting a phone call back. Give me a break.

As far as Woody goes...the hell with Cowher..but it looks pretty shitty that an owner decides to take a vacation while 3 possible candidates are interviewed. Why...was he afraid he would lose frequent flyer miles?

Too many assholes ...too little time.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's awesome, isn't it? I mean, it almost sounds like he decided to go on vacation after he fired Mangini. I doubt he had it planned since we did have a possibility of making the playoffs and that would have been during his vacation time. So he basically fired his HC and left the country for a week. Thanks for your dedication to the fans, Woody. You fuckhead.

18. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Exactly Abyz. You hit it on the head..it wasnt planned because we were going to the superbowl right?

Some might say "big deal...MT was here and he handled it". Well if one of these guys does a great job in the interview...and is the next great coach..it would be nice to see the owner there giving a shit. This org. already has a pretty shitty reputation.

If I was deciding between 2 teams..and the owner wasnt there for my first interview...I would second guess the commitment. I do belive Woodys heart is in the right place..he wants to spend..he wants to win. Its just that his brain sometimes swims near his rectum.

19. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

I think this topic is absolutely relevant for Jets fans, not for Cowher (who is long gone) but as an example of how Woody runs this team.

Every piece of information that has come out on the Cowher (mis)hire has been negative for the Jets FO. The entire group from the owner on down seem disorganized and, quite frankly, clueless. Competent owners don't fire a HC and then go on vacation during the prime coaching recruiting time. That's inexcusable. It shows a complete lack of concern or awareness of what needs to be done for a professional football organization. I am absolutely amazed at how badly the Jets have handled the current coaching search. It's been a complete blunder so far - almost Oakland Raiders worthy.

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

champ just needs a built-in reason to blame everything on Woody for the next year or two, even though Cowher said he didn't really want to coach. It's a non issue. Besides, in champ's world Cowher was a loser for the first 13 years of his career.