Options at QB for 2009

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by firemanedjr, Jan 6, 2009.

?

QB in '09?

1. Brett Favre

37 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Kellen Clemens

52 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. Brett Ratliff

111 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Kurt Warner

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Jeff Garcia

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Grossman/Boller

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Derek Anderson

9 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Billy Volek

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Mark Sanchez

23 vote(s)
    8.9%
  10. Tim Tebow

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No one had been named the starter yet. Clemens had been throwing a lot of picks early in camp, but was reported to have been improving and throwing far fewer picks as the pre-season progressed and prior to Favre coming on board.

2. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I would like Brett R ro have one more season under Brett F to learn but if Favre leaves I say give Ratliff 1/2 the season to show what he has to offer. Clemens had 8 games and showed nothing.

Favre would be a QB for us if we upgraded at Wr and added speed. Maybe even if just Clowby was healthy.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

There you go making shit up again Don. Show me the article where Pennington was declared the winner of the competition by the CS.

4. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Here's what I don't understand. Everyone hated Chad because they thought he was "only" good enough to get us to the playoffs, which to me is ridiculous. So if Clemens is an upgrade, ie a Super Bowl caliber QB, why couldn't he beat out a recovering Chad Pennington, Brooks Bollinger and Patrick Ramsey? Why did he have the whole off season and camp to prove himself and we end up trading for a QB? It's easy to make excuses and say he was a rookie or he needs more time, but if he's the guy we all think we need, why is everyone still making excuses for him?

Also, the people who want to excuse him for a bad 2007 because the team was bad are the same ones who hold up 2007 as the only example of Chad's career, when he's had now four other seasons when he's gone to the playoffs including two division titles.

5. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I read the reports as they came out. I don't necessarily think Clemens is a better choice than Ratliff; I just want to see an open competition b/w the two. I'd like to see Clemens do well, but if he doesn't, he doesn't. The guy deserves a fair shot though.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

We've seen the best out of Pennington that we'll ever see. He's hit his ceiling and we've bumped our collective heads on it many times.

Clemens may progress into a great QB but we'll never know if he doesn't have an opportunity to play behind an o-line with 5 NFL caliber players on it.

7. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

There seems to be a penchant on this board for wanting to dump good proven QBs when they have a bad stretch, or simply aren't good/perfect enough, all for a chance that some rookie or undrafted FA might prove to be the next Kurt Warner.

The irony to me is that the QB closest to what you want (good, proven, and consistent) is Tom Brady ... and yet many of you guys hate him with a passion! :lol:

8. Gunther

Gunther Member

I'll take Michael Vick over all the others. None of the others come close to his talent and youth.

9. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Kurt Warner would not do well here we dont have Boldin or Fitzgerald. I see that being all part of the success any QB has here. Without adequate WRs any QB will fail. That was just proven. Future Hall of Famer Brett Favre is my material witness.

10. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

If we could draft a stud WR for Warner, I think he'd do well here and it would be a great opportunity for Clemens and Ratliff to learn under him.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i hope it's k.c. or b.r. i really don't get the calls for a new young q.b. to develope when we have 3 on the roster now who may or may not be the one.if the new h.c. is a rookie than he''l get a longer hook if he's working with a young qb.and if we suck then there's a possibility of colt mcoy,tim tebow(i think he's staying)and stafford sanchez and bradford hasn't declared yet.so 2010 may be the next class of 83.so lets see what's on the roster and make a decision next jan-feb.

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Give Ratliff his shot.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Good idea. He'll be difficult to acquire, however.

To entice him to come here, we could open up a dog kennel just outside the training complex. This way, in his spare time, he could practice slinging puppies against the chain link fence to improve his spiral.

14. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I want to see more of Eric Ainge in this next preseason. He should of been one of the options on this list.

15. hazmat

hazmat New Member

I'm hoping the next qb is Ratliff. He has all the physical tools. He's 6'4"- 6'5" and about 235. He has great mechanics and a quick release. The question is can he learn how to read a defense and make a quick decision? Can he go through progressions and get to the 3rd or 4th option? Can he not lock into one receiver? Any unproven qb like Clemens is going to have the same questions. We have to find out any of these guys can play.

16. Scruggy

Scruggy Active Member

If Matthew Stafford is sitting at #17 pick em.

Tim Tebow? F that shit, his first NFL hit will put him in the hospital.

Athletic QBs great in college who cant take an NFL hit . . . Example?

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1895949

Matty got the toughness -- GO Dawgs.

$cruggy $ix $aint$ out!

17. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Pennington was going to win the job in training camp, but I do think Clemens was making it at least a legitimate battle later. Here's a few things I wrote from my blog when the competition was going on. First, the last one before the Favre acquisition.

There were a few practices towards the end where Clemens was starting to outplay Chad. Of course, when that happened, they cut Chad and brought in Favre. In one of his last practices, Chad threw two picks after not having thrown any the entire camp.

18. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Remember his comeback against the Steelers last season? He drove us down to tie the game, and then we won in over time. Clemens was awesome in that game.

People seem to forget that....

19. Bosko

Bosko Guest

While I think that the Jets best chance would be trusting Clemens or Ratliff to turn this team around? I am doubtful than the "fan base" (i.e. You and Me!) would allow this to happen. There would be too many of us complaining about this, that and the other thing if a guy like Clemens or Ratliff were allowed to run this team... The micromanaging would go on, as usual... Woody would listen to us and fire this guy or that after a few plays...

Unfortunately, the Jets now need a veteran QB and a proven coach. This si why Favre looked like a great choice a few months ago and why I am sorry that Cowher wasn't hired. I can't thnk of any vet QBs or veteran HCs who can save us...

After the mess that ManginIdiot left us with? And the PSL mess? And the need to "Win Now?" Well, from my experience in watching pro sports? We are in for a long, sad ride.

20. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

The best choice for '09 is BF at QB in a run based offense which treats Leon Washington as its best player and understands that BF needs play action to make the deep throw work. This is what is best for the team.