Options at QB for 2009

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by firemanedjr, Jan 6, 2009.

?

QB in '09?

1. Brett Favre

37 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Kellen Clemens

52 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. Brett Ratliff

111 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Kurt Warner

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Jeff Garcia

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Grossman/Boller

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Derek Anderson

9 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Billy Volek

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Mark Sanchez

23 vote(s)
    8.9%
  10. Tim Tebow

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Okay, here are pretty much all the quarterbacks who could be starting for the Jets in 2009. Wanted to get a pretty definitive list to work from.

Internal
    Brett Favre will be the QB if he chooses to return, but that is very much up in the air. Before teammates started throwing him under the bus, I would've said it was certain, but if the players don't want him here, I could see him retire. It may well come down to the next coach, and if it's one with a backbone, I could definitely see them asking him not to return. Still, he's probably the strongest internal option at this point.

Kellen Clemens was a 2nd round draft pick three years back out of Oregon, and after a strong preseason in 2007 became a popular player on these boards. He started 8 games in that 2007 season, with a 3-5 record. His stats were less than impressive, but that could be attributed to poor performances around him. Perhaps the front-runner if Favre leaves.

Brett Ratliff lit it up in the preseason after getting few looks in the previous exhibition season. He was signed a couple years back as an undrafted free agent out of Utah. He's never taken a pro snap, but has gotten a lot of love on these boards for his preseason performances. Was inactive for every game this year.

Erik Ainge was a 5th round draft pick out of Tennessee. He sat out the 2008 season with a thumb injury.

From Free Agency

Kurt Warner keeps putting up great stats against all odds-though considering his wideouts, those odds might not be so staggering. Considering his play this season, you'd expect Arizona to try and resign him. If not, he's a one or two year stopgap at best.

Jeff Garcia is like 40, but refuses to die. He started 11 games for Tampa Bay this year, and did what Jeff Garcia does: play smart football. He won't win you too many games, but he won't lose you them either. Again, like Warner, he's likely a short-term stopgap.

Rex Grossman/Kyle Boller. I'll group these two together because they're pretty much the same guy: great arm, good athleticism, high potential but head cases who have struggled mightily in their NFL chances and have lost their starting job. If they came in, it would be, in all likelihood, to compete for the starting job.

From Trades:

Derek Anderson has fallen out of favor in Cleveland, as Brady Quinn has been handed the reigns. After he struggled in the first half of the year, Cleveland is wishing they had traded him last summer, when he was in much higher demand.

Chris Simms signed with Tennessee this past season after being released from Tampa Bay. He had a solid year in 2005, but hasn't played well at all since. He lacerated his spleen a few years back.

Jon Kitna might be the odd man out if Detroit hands the reigns over to a rookie QB, and Detroit will certainly need to stockpile draft picks. He's a proven, solid veteran and he has spoken out against Detroit management.

Billy Volek is a little bit like a poor man's Matt Schaub: a really good backup QB who never seems to get a shot to start. Over his career, Volek's about a 60% passer with a good TD:INT ratio. He hasn't played extensively since 2005, when he put up a respectable 89.7 rating in 10 games. San Diego is pretty set with Phil Rivers, but you don't always give up a good backup.

From the Draft:
    The Jets pick is #17, and the projected top 2 QBs, Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford should be long gone by then. Here are the guys who could be picked in the middle of the first round. Obviously, lesser prospects like Graham Harrell, Mike Teel, or Hunter Cantwell could be taken later in the draft, but probably wouldn't get a chance to start as rookies.

Mark Sanchez started for USC, and had a solid season with 30 TDs and 10 INTs. As a junior, he is yet to declare for the draft, and may very well not, because his stock has nowhere to go but up. He's got a great arm, a good head, and solid athleticism. If he does come out, the Jets would be wise to draft him at #17.

Tim Tebow would be an awful pick. The guy is a great athlete, but I don't think he has the arm or the mechanics to play QB at the next level. I doubt he will declare anyway, since he truly has a chance to be the best college player of all time, but if he does, he is projected by many to be a mid first-round draft pick.

So let's hear it: who should be starting at QB in '09? Poll to follow.

2. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

The poll would only allow 10 choices, so Kitna, Simms, Ainge, and Other got left out. Still, you can pick them here.

3. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Ratliff and Clemens to compete. Cut Ainge and draft another QB?

Can the Jets have 4 QB's on the roster. Oh wait, they tried this past season. And two kickers........ we have issues.

I voted for "The Other Brett". I dont know why other than preseason. I just want to see him work out for us.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Give Clemens a chance with a good oline and solid run game. I bet results would be drastically different than 07. Same goes for Ratliff; let the kids battle it out if we can't bring in a trustworthy vet.

5. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

I wish I could have more faith in Clemens. But all I can seem to remember him doing is curling up and getting sacked as the pocket collapses around him.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I liked what little I saw with Ratliff.

7. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Picked Tebow, have excplained 10-20 times on here over the past couple of weeks why, so won't go through it again, buti believe he will be a very good QB in the NFL

8. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

I can't believe the leader in this poll is undrafted and hasn't gotten a snap in a real game. I don't know if that says more about the Jets or their fans.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The only legitimate names in this poll are Favre, Ratliff and Warner..none of the others have any chance at all of starting for the Jets next year..especially the rookies.

10. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

At this point its too early to tell. After the Draft we'll have a clear picture, but right now there is know way of knowing.

11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Start one internally, and draft one if a potential blue chipper falls to the JETS @ 17 (doubt it will)

No more old temporary fixes

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Can someone articulate why they would vote for Ratliff?

13. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

How about Mcnabb? There is alot of talk of him leaving phile this year no matter what happens.

14. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I would not cut Ainge, if he can be coached up, he has the size and ability.

15. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'd like to see Ratliff start and see us draft another QB. I'd also like to see one damned good WR from the draft.

But our priorities should be in the pass rush. I don't want to go into '09 wishing and hoping Gholston finally "finds his way."

16. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Tebow is a Junior

17. Big Blocker

Mcnabb is totally overrated.

18. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

If he hits the open market and we are looking for a QB you have to put him in the mix. He would most likely be the #1 qb on the market.

19. Big Blocker

Like Favre last year?

People forget McNabb is just as fragile as Chad, and has a record of choking in big games. How does he improve the situation over keeping Favre? If Favre were merely hurt, as it appears he was, and could condition himself this off season and practice with the team in camp and pre-season, he would probably do better than McNabb. McNabb would have to learn a new system with a new HC were he to come to the Jets, and just like for all the fair points made about how Favre's coming back does nothing to answer the team's medium term needs at Qb, neither would McNabb's.

20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

McNabb's had 1 GOOD receiver (actually 1 legitimate receiver) aside from Westbrook as his checkdown in his career, until the rookie they have this year is showing potential.
    That one season they went to the SUperBowl.

He's no Manning or Brady, but he gets a bad rap, and puts up good #s with limited tools to work with.