Things are looking Grimm

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by D. JETSon, Jan 4, 2009.

1. D. JETSon

D. JETSon New Member

Jets Offense-TM-Jets Jan. 4 - 8:38 am et

The New York Daily News reports the Jets will meet with Cardinals assistant coach Russ Grimm regarding their head coaching vacancy.

Grimm, an offensive line coach, was beaten out by Mike Tomlin for the Steelers job a couple of years back. Because league rules allow teams to interview assistants from wild-card winners before the divisional round, Grimm is expected to meet with the Jets in the coming week.
    Source: New York Daily News
    Related: Cardinals

I like him.... maybe if Rex and Spaggs dont work ou we can give him a shot

2. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

IM Guessing Rivera, Grimm, and Rex are all going to get a good look. Why do you like Grimm?

3. JETSFANDC

JETSFANDC New Member

Jets to interview Russ Grimm (per Cimini)

Another interview in the Cards
    January 3, 2009
    The Jets never got a chance to discuss their head-coaching vacancy with former Steelers coach Bill Cowher, but they will talk to one of his former assistants.
    They will meet in the coming days with Cardinals assistant head coach Russ Grimm, the Daily News has learned. Grimm, best known as a member of the Redskins' "Hogs," circa 1980s, coaches the offensive line for the Cards. He also coached the line on Cowher's staff with the Steelers.
    The Cards advanced to the divisional playoffs, but league rules allow teams to interview assistant coaches from wild-card winners before the divisional round. Based on that rule, the Jets also will be able to interview Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan this coming week.

4. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

well thats good news. meaning we can interview Ryan next week. Sweet! that way we will be able to interview everyone we want to, and then we will be able to decide with all of our information, who the best candidates will be.

5. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I dont know why we are in a rush, Just take anyone for a year and wait for the 4 BEST COACHES coming out next year. Ask the DAMN water boy or a cheerleader I dont care, but dont lock someone up if we can get one of the 4 ready to coach again next year. I hate the way things always fall when the Jets need something or someone.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The Jets are interested in Grimm, but not Todd Haley?

Jeez. WTF is wrong with this team?

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I think Grimm is an interesting candidate...he could bring the "smash mouth" persona back to this football team that everybody was clamoring for with Cowher. I'm not saying he's the guy we should hire....but he's defenitly worth a look.

8. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

He's worth bringing in, I guess. Why not? Interview as many people as possible.

But what about Haley? Haley was on the Jets staff from 1997 to 2000 and was a Cowboys assistant from 2004 to 2006. Obviously, Bill Parcells likes the guy.

Ken Whisenhunt was also on the Jets staff in 2000. He had thought highly enough of Haley to bring him to Arizona and name him the offensive coordinator in 2007.

Haley is a guy who will be a head coach in the league. He has a high football IQ and players really respect him. He has helped take four different teams to the playoffs (1998 Jets, 2001 Bears, 2006 Cowboys, 2008 Cardinals).

I have heard that Grimm is more suited to being a career assistant. Supposedly, he is not as detailed as you'd like a head coach to be and there are some questions about his ability to lead 53 players and a 20-member coaching staff.

9. sabu75

sabu75 New Member

hes been around winning programs all his life.his players would walk over hot coals for him,and i dont think he would put up with any prima donna b.s.from anyone

10. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Just another assistant with little or no coordinator experience. I'm almost sure he'll get the job now. Bet he interviews well. :wink: Ugh. I'd definitely go with Haley over a lot of the candidates.

12. matthewjwitas

matthewjwitas New Member

let's give this guy a shot he did work under the beloved Bill Coward

13. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

That Minko character just said on the FAN that the "top tier" candidates are Ryan, Spags and Grimm.

14. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I don't want an offensive line minded coach. I want somebody to bring back the sack exchange and give this team an identity.

15. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

Byz, just playing devil's advocate, but what makes Haley, a coordinator for only the last two years, more qualified than Grimm, who has been an Asst. Head Coach since 2004, and on a Super Bowl winning team?

16. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Former Redskin HOG (and 3x SB champ) who coached OL for years in Pittsburgh (including their SB win). A blue-collar, smash-mouth kind of guy. What's not to like ??

17. abyzmul

Bill Parcells? Worked with Sparano, who uncoincidentally was the Running Game Coordinator to Haley's Passing Game Coordinator in Dallas during the Parcells years. Not like I know any of these guys, but recent experience with Woody's braintrust usually means we will hire the guy who isn't best for the job.

18. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

Sure can't argue with that, concerning woody. I was just wondering why Haley would be any more qualified than Grimm, who worked as Asst. Head Coach for super bowl team. Bottom line is, they are BOTH not as qualified, in my mind, as Ryan, in terms of Coordinator experience. Thus ensuring we won't hire Ryan.

19. GreenMachine

Well, he has a similar background to mangini..

Todd Haley (born February 28, 1967 in Atlanta, Georgia) is the current offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals of the NFL. Prior to his tenure with the Cardinals, Haley was the wide receivers coach for the New York Jets, Chicago Bears, and Dallas Cowboys.

Haley attended Upper St. Clair High School in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is the son of Dick Haley, the former Director of player personnel for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Todd was a ball boy for the Steelers in his youth.

20. abyzmul

Herm was AHC for Dungy for years in Tampa. How did that work out? I'm not sure any of these guys are the answer, as fans we have limited access to candidates' true qualifications... but I'd be comfortable straying from the path of our previous failures in coaching searches.