Chad's limitations being revealed. The Pennington thread.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Salz, Jan 4, 2009.

1. azpackjetfan

azpackjetfan New Member

Still waiting, Jetzz

Tick, tick, tick. Struck a nerve, did I? Chance to show off your skills and you fold faster than Pennington in a "big game"

2. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Regardless of how bad Chad was today, that doesn't excuse Favre's worthless play this year. The Jets replaced one guy who wasn't going to take the Jets to the Super Bowl with a washed up guy who wouldn't even take them to the playoffs.

Regardless, nice to see the Phins lose. You could actually hear "Heap" chants in the 1st quarter when he got a reception. A home playoff game and Ravens fans are able to be heard? Are you kidding me?

Once Favre leaves, this franchise will be back on the right track. It just ain't right for the Phins to be in the playoffs.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no it doesn't, just as Favres poor play doesn't absolve Chad of his limitations, as most pro-Chad pundits attempt to do.

4. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

They both had limitations and both were north of 30. This franchise badly needed a young QB and this year would have been great to get him some experience. Maybe next year they'll finally start grooming a new QB... I doubt it, because the PSLs are clearly #1 priority to Woody.

5. Fusion2006

Fusion2006 New Member

I think a lot of people are missing the point. This has nothing to do with Favre. This is to do with people crying since August about losing Pennington.

Chad is not a loss. It had to be done sooner or later and I'm glad it finally happened. Favre was a risk, now he will probably be gone, who cares.

Even when Chad was doing well, I stuck to my guns. I knew all along, he's an average QB that plays with a lot of heart. This game proves it. The Ravens stacked the box, forcing Chad to actually throw and he couldn't do it.

Plus their trick plays and wildcat offense are useless because the Ravens D is too talented and fast. So the Ravens played it smart. They stacked the box and said "Ok Chad, beat us". And the result was even better than they thought it was going to be. Not only was he unable to beat them with his arm, he gave them to game with 4 INTs.

Chad is an Ok QB, he's a good game manager but put a good defense against him and force him to throw the ball, he sucks. In order to win a Super Bowl (or even get to a Conference title game), you will probably have to be a really good defense. He just doesn't have that ability. Thats life.

It's not his fault, God didn't give him the natural talent. I don't hate him at all. He is what he is. An average talent QB that plays with heart and has a high football IQ. But his noodle arm limits him and he is exposed accordingly against quality defenses. Thats life. Oh well.

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Albeit Pennington or Favre or Clemens or Ratliff, the Jets weren't going to do shit this year anyway.

7. Fusion2006

Fusion2006 New Member

Exactly but you are going to have trouble convincing Chad lovers of that point. This game proves everything. The Ravens forced him to throw and he couldn't do it because he's limited talent wise. In order to win a Super Bowl you have to at some point beat a good defense.

But all Chad lovers are pointing to is Favre, who has nothing to do with this discussion. This is about the people who have been crying since August about how Chad shouldn't have been let go.

I'M SO GLAD that this season he won't win the QB competition, now thats Miami's problem.

No matter what an offensive coordinater does to try to mask his offense's weaknesses (i.e. a noodle arm), a good defense will exploit it.

Miami played a weak schedule, got lucky a lot of the games and I doubt they do as well next year. And even if htey do, Chad will choke in the playoffs.

8. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

He'll go with the best option, just as he tried to do with favre. Whether it's a name from college or not. Success will sell his psls

9. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I'm afraid that's not how Woody thinks- he's going to make some mind-boggling move soon.

10. Fusion2006

Fusion2006 New Member

But do you think Chad would have ANY shot at hte Super Bowl. Honestly?

Favre was a risk, it didn't work but Favre has proved he can go deep in the playoffs. It was a risk. Chad was let go because he was never going to win a Super Bowl here.

He couldn't get deep in the playoffs with an outstanding defense. What would he have done with the worst pass D in the league? He need a wildcat offense to do well, what would he have done here with hte same offense? Nothing. He was let go for a good reason: BECAUSE HE'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN A SUPER BOWL.

11. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Okay, let me start over.

He hasn't led a team to score more than 17 points in regulation in a playoff game in 6 years.

His first playoff game was a great one.

Since then, he's been exposed.

12. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

Instead of 3000 different posts about CP this quote should just be used to answer all the questions about him. EXCELLENT work Fusion2006.

13. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Alright lets end this thread...

Favre sucks too old to play

Pennington sucks plays shitty in the playoffs and injury prone

It's simple as that...getting favre was a shot in the dark the jets took and it ended up not being too great, but getting rid of pennington was smart. He did the same thing in the 06 season by leading a crappy team to a playoff run that ended up in pennington choking in the playoffs...again, and now he will have a crappy year next year. In the end neither team won, but the phins got somewhat of a better deal by not having to give up a draft pick.

14. UKJetFan

UKJetFan New Member

I've just watched the game and after seeing a headline on yahoo about Pennington having a terrible game, I've got to wonder what the hell they were watching.

To start with he was going up against a great defense. Also the team around him was making mistakes and his line didn't do a great job at protecting him. On one of his interceptions his receiver fell down, though I think the pass was off target.

The dolphins were 1-15 the year before, if Chad had a great team around him to go with the good coaches then maybe you could put this on him. I'm sure with Parcells coming back they will be even better next season, sadly.

Could Chad have done any better than Favre, I'm not sure any QB could do well under the idiots that were coaching the Jets this season. You're only as good as the people around you.

15. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

For starters, I've never proclaimed myself to be an expert. But time has proven me correct where Chad Pennington is concerned, and I feel confident enough at this point in that argument. You give the guy the right tools to do that job around him, and he'll get the job done. Look what he did this year with sub-par talent. That says an awful lot all by itself.

I get that some folks don't like him, and feel he's already peaked, or whatever. Fine. But to want to go into a season with an unknown over someone you know can deliver is a bit foolish. Unless you don't care about winning in the meantime. I don't see why we cannot aim to do both. Hopefully, we will have something in Ratliffe given some more time.

For the record, I was for the Favre trade. It was a gamble, but given what we'd give up to get him, and the season he had the year before... a worthwhile one. I think everyone must have understood it could very likely be a one year deal for us. Now we have no QB... and no HC. The circus environment that seems to going on, we'll be very lucky to have a quality coach that doesn't set us back another 3-4 years. And on top of that, who knows who the QB is. Yeah, good luck to us. Saying we'd be better off not having Pennington is just foolish, in my opinion.

Time will tell who was right. We already look half wrong, but that's gambling for you.

16. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Yeah, sorry... I don't just sit in front of the computer all day. :breakdance:

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You watched the game and came to the conclusion that Chad didn't have a terrible game? For reals?

18. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

And he's had 2 surgeries since then as well.

19. azpackjetfan

azpackjetfan New Member

Fair enough. But, I was hoping you were going to answer the question on the table. The one that asked what player on the Jets actually played better in the last five games as opposed to the previous 11.

As inconsistent as Favre was in the final playoff push. I didn't see one player that played up to their potential either.

As always, the Quarterback gets too much of the praise when the team wins and gets too much of the blame when they lose.

The team seems to be in disarray and players calling out others. I don't see where those players have any right to point fingers without looking in the mirror first. They ALL underachieved, including Thomas Jones, Laverneaus Coles, Kerry Rhodes, Kris Jenkins, etc. It wasn't just the play of Brett Favre.

My other comment was in reference to the guy/gal you told shouldn't have an opinion until he/she became worthy enough to discuss football. If I took you out of context then I apologize.

20. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Chad Pennington can only take you so far.

He's a good QB and is perfect for a young team, but Chad Pennington cannot win you a game if it's on his shoulders.