Ah yes, Woody (the fool) caused Cowher to withdraw

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Don, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

What? Doesn't EVERY owner leave the country when they're looking for a HC?

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No, I don't think you get it. Do you not understand how lethal a helicopter ride with Woody is? No one can turn the Jets down after that. Not even Chuck Norris.

3. Sanpetejets

Sanpetejets Member

Hey, thanks for the primer on how to post on a fan blog and how to be a Jets fan. Your hyperbole in what people are posting is fun too. You're right...I guess we should just sit back and watch as this decorated and accomplished front office brings us fans yet another winning team and further stability for years to come. Thanks!

4. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I'm sure Woody has more on his plate than owning the Jets. Why couldn't Cowher just wait for Woody to get back?

5. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

If this story is true, then as much as you want to blame Woody, Cowher is just as much an ass. I am 100% that Cowher would sit down with Woody eventually. Woody has a GM to do this job and anyone who is going to come into our organization can at least have the decency to respect the structure of it initially. If this was the sole reason Cowher wouldn't come, it paints him in a bad light. I have to doubt the accuracy of this story because I think Cowher is a decent enough guy that if he were legitimately interessted he would approach it better.

6. Phyr

Phyr Member

A lot of people need to get over the fact that Cowher does not want to coach the Jets. And of course Don is going leave out the part that said that Cowher to the Jets was a longshot even if they sat down.

7. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Cowher had said from the beginning he wasnt sure about coaching in 2009. He recently signed a deal with CBS. I dont see any further into this than just that. The rest is all speculation.

8. UNWarCriminal

UNWarCriminal Member

Just how many reasons can there be for Cowher turning down an interview? First it was because of Favre, now it's because of the owner. Can't wait for tomorrow's reason. Maybe it'll be because Cowher didn't like the Flight Crew.

9. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Makes perfect sense, as does hiring Shotty jr. :Goes for Gun In Nightstand:

10. pete cofran

pete cofran New Member

I feel the same way. I came here thinking there would be thoughtful discussions from knowledgeable fans instead its like a bunch of manic depressants who jump on any rumor and treat it as fact. Ppl here have the most ridiculous notions on how a football organization should be run.

Let take this for example.
    1) The general manager is the one who firsts interviews a coach. Then a 2nd meeting would included the Owner.

2)If the scenario was true and Woody is out of the country and if Cower wanted the job he could wait until he returns. There's no rush on either side besides the Jets need to interview other candidates.

A lot of these stories are pure speculations where the media takes two bits of facts and creates their own story.
    a) Woody is out of the country on vacation.
    b) Cower says he's not interested in the job.

a+b=media story = wackos on message board go even more wacko

11. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Except for Al Davis, Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder -- The GM hires the coach to think anything else is naive -- Do you think Bill Parcels said to Wayne Huzienga interview this Sparano guy then if you like him i will interview him.

Most Owners including Woody do not no squat about the day to day football operations and that is why the hire a GM. Most Owners are also businessmen with alot of commitments that take up there time with matters unrelated to football hence why they hire a GM.

Do you really think most of these Billionaires are going to sit on 7-8 interviews ?
    Do you think that many coaches or anyone for that matter gets hired without a second interview?

12. pete cofran

pete cofran New Member

Yeah that's what I'm saying. In a normal organization the GM keeps the owner in the loop about the major personnel decisions and only brings him when their close to choosing a final candidate. We should be glad that Woody isn't involved in every decisions like an Al Davis.

Ppl on this board are on the verge of suicide every time a potential coaching candidate isn't interested in the job. The Jets are going to do their do diligence to find the right coach. I could see this taking till the superbowl is over before they announce their selection.

#32 pete cofran, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  13. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Sorry - I misinterpretted your post , as a critque of my view

I agree , this could take to the SB , and Woody will be involved in the End but not the beginning of the interview process

14. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

As much as Cowher would seemingly be a great choice.......LOL at an owner being at a coach's beck and call. That is ridiculous.

15. Fusion2006

Fusion2006 New Member

I don't know if its so much about discussing things as pointing to speculation as "facts". There are multiple people that basically said "Cowher is not coming here because of Favre, screw you Favre, you ruined us this past year and in the future too now!". You have NO idea whether that is true or not but there are people that take these things as 100% facts.

At least that be like "Hmmmm, IF Favre being here was the sole reason that Cowher didn't come here, Favre ruined us".

As in this post, "Hmmmm, IF Cowher isn't coming here for the sole reason that Woody wasn't in town, screw you Woody".

I think the OP was referring to people quoting rumors as facts (I thinK? OP?).

16. bwgold

bwgold New Member

Manning available?

I just heard the Colts may cut Peyton Manning to free up cap space.

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

OK I'm not taking either side until I hear it's fact. That being said, Cowher wanted to bring in his own GM before he'd even consider coaching. So riddle me this; why would he interview with someone he would be replacing in some capacity? Wouldn't that be an owner level meeting?

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That wasn't an option. They wanted him to interview with Johnson specifically not there. He said fuck off.

19. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Indeed. But unfortunetly you have too many people on here who thrive on the rumors and believe anything they see or hear. If Mike Francesa said the Jets are in the running to get Ladanian Tomlinson, a lot of you would take it as fact. You don't investigate. You don't decipher. You just take it and run with it like a tabloid reporter right to the forums. I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss POSSIBILITIES. Hell, I'm not even saying don't discuss dream situations. I'm asking you to stop crying every time you hear somebody say something negitive about the Jets. And quit annointing them Super Bowl champs every time you hear something positive.

20. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

You don't have to sit back and watch, you can continue to post all your major issues with the Jets because I'm sure Woody will be in shortly to take notice. He'd never make a decision about the future of HIS franchise with-out checking to see how the fans feel about it. Hang in there buddy, cause you're freaking special!