Schlereth on Jones comments about Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jigglebilly, Jan 2, 2009.

1. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

2. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Did this really need it's own thread? Schlereth isn't exactly the sharpest pencil in the drawer.

3. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

Well, I think it needed it's own thread, think what you want. If articles and such have their own their own, why not have a video discussion, which I think has a point.

4. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Somebody needs to tell this clown Schlereth that Favre had nothing to do with T. Jones increased rushing yardage in 2008 ---- it was because of the revamped offensive line.

Schlereth is 1 of those a$$holes at work who dont think for themselves, they just toe the company line.

5. jfhjr71

jfhjr71 New Member

I happen to like Schlereth, he is a proven NFL ALL PRO lineman and as an analyst he gives pretty good insight from a line mans view. He usually only speaks in X's and O's, but lately he has been a little more opinionated, I wonder if ESPN has told him to spice it up a little?

6. pete cofran

pete cofran New Member

I like Schlereth but ESPN is in the business of ratings and being first this often comes at the expensive of being right. More often then not they get it wrong but they're entertaining. In addition they show favoritism to certain players that they like, Favre being one of those, so it doesn't surprise me Schlereth taking up for him. Even though TJ was right and probably echo sentiments that many in the locker room feel, he realized it was a mistake to air them in the media and thus trying to back pedal.

#6 pete cofran, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

Schlereth should shut up, he doesn't know what is going on in that locker room to be poppin' off about it. He's on ESPN too, which means there is residue from Favre's seemen on his mouth as well.....

8. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

I liked Schlereth alot untill those comments

9. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I think he had it right.

A lot of teammates could have bashed Jones last year when we traded for him and he only had 1 TD.

Jones was an idiot!

10. nyjrkm06

nyjrkm06 Active Member

they should all take equal blame

11. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

schlereth is wrong because he only used the parts of the interview that were inflamatory and didnt bother with the parts that gave a little bit more of what jones was talking about. hell why didnt they just put the audio up there for us to hear?

then he decided to be a big favre jock rider. i was quite disgusted by the piece that he did last night on the whole situation. bottom line is that jones was correct and its the offseason and i really dont have a problem with him saying it.

his comments today further prove to me what he was trying to say, and it was in no way unproffesional or un team oriented. (wow talk about killing the english language.)

12. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Well we know Woody told TJ to cool it, maybe he sent Schlereth a nice Johnson and Johnson gift basket to open his stupid mouth on this.

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

The guy is an idiot and there's no logic to his points.

"I seem to remember Thomas Jones only getting one touchdown last year."

First, that's one more rushing TD than Favre got last year so boo-ya! Second, not scoring isn't the same as turning the ball over. Brett Favre's last three games this year: 7 turnovers. Thomas Jones' turnovers for the last three games last year: Zero!

"Brett Favre came in and took the pressure off Thomas Jones with his ability to throw deep."

No. For a former offensive lineman, Schlereth's lack of credit to the offensive line here is just mind-boggling. Do you think it was Favre's almost never utilized ability to throw deep that helped take the pressure off of Thomas Jones? Or do you think it was the signings of Alan Faneca and Damien Woody which helped sure off the offensive line and kept Jones from having to dodge defensive players six yards deep in the backfield that took the pressure off of him? Now I have a brain that hasn't been bashed around by large men for the better part of a decade so my judgment might be a little skewed here.

In fact, I'm going to just take it one step further and say that Thomas Jones' running ability along with Leon are the reason we actually won 9 games this year, not Brett "22 INTs" Favre. Furthermore, with Thomas Jones' rushing ability, Favre should have had a better season. Jones' 13 TDs, created enough of a threat out of the rushing attack to give Favre a better play-action threat and sucked the defense in closer to the line and opened up the passing lanes down field. There, I said it.

#13 CatoTheElder, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  14. CatoTheElder

Jones didn't turn the ball over, in fact he did not lose one fumble and only put the ball on the ground twice that season. Secondly, name me one HB that could have performed behind that o-line. The criticism Jones had for Favre wasn't that he didn't score enough, it was that he turned the ball over too much. Comparing Favre's INT stats this year to Jones' TD stats last year is a complete non sequitur. How stupid do you have to be?

15. I bleed Jets Green

I bleed Jets Green New Member

Personally for me Thomas Jones, should've told Favre his problems closed doors. As long as he got thru to Favre about the interceptions, then that's fine by me, but instead he went on the local radio and spilled the beans for no reason. Going on the ESPN morning show, he should've admitted his mistake for going on the air and apologized for not keeping his emotions to himself.

Now he just created a bigger circus that didn't need to be. That's the only problem I have with Jones. Did he have a better year? Yes. But at the same time this team has more problems now than it had before the season started.

It's not just Favre and the interceptions, it was the defense and the front line couldn't protect Favre for the remaining 5 games on the schedule.

16. CatoTheElder

I don't think there were any problems after the Hot97 interview than there were before outside of media and fan attention. I don't think Thomas Jones is the type of player to just blurt out something like that off of the top of his head. My guess is that the team had these conversations with Favre well before week 17.

17. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

I think that is the dumb quote of the day. Thank you for playing.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And what are you smoking? Favre had as much to do with Jones as the OL did. If Pennington was still there they would have still been stacking the box against the run all year instead of just the last few games when, oh by the way, Jones was the same shit he was all of last year.

19. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

I liked how he said it wasn't Farve's league high ints wasn't the cause of the Jets issues then said in the same breath Miami won the division because of CHad's lack of Turnovers. What a tool. The worst int I ever saw in my life happened last week when Farve threw the ball into the breadbasket of the the D-Lineman how the fuck could he have not seen him.

20. CatoTheElder

Yes, because the QB position has so much more to do with the running game than the o-line.