No Shanahan or Schott for Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Ralphw, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Ralphw

Ralphw New Member

fromespn150

There are strong indications that the Jets will not pursue Mike Shanahan or Marty Schottenheimer to be their next coach. Neither has had an interview set up to this point and it doesn't appear that they will.

Jets' Woody Johnson's desire to not have the coach have a say in the player personnel decisions is the main reason that Shanahan and Schottenheimer are out of the Jets' search at this point. Both have had that responsibility in the past.

This means the Jets are most likely to tap an assistant. They interviewed offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Marty's son, and offensive line coach Bill Callahan today. Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will be interviewed on Saturday.

If this is true I hope its Spags

2. MyFavoriteMartin5

MyFavoriteMartin5 New Member

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I would be happy with either Ryan or Spagnuolo... I really believe Shanahan needs a year or two off, and Schottenheimer would not be a good fit for this team.

4. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Things are looking better and better with each passing day.

5. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Interesting. I still think marty will be interviewed

6. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Marty probably will get an interview. ESPECIALLY if they like the interview they got from brian Schott today. maybe they think its best to keep brian around as OC and bring in the one guy garunteed to keep him, his dad. I still want Rex, but wouldnt be surprised to see a Marty interview...

7. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

I think he would be the best choice for the new HC of the Jets. I feel he could step in right now and move the team to the next level.

8. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I agree. I also think he may be the best for us in 2009

9. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

2009 sounds good as well:wink:

10. JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB

JETfrmWOMBtoTOMB New Member

Wow, it's all about Spags and Ryan now... God help us if it's Schott Sr.

11. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Guys, this isn't good at all. Denver is the top coaching job, and Spags will most likely end up there. This leaves us with Ryan, which isn't all that bad, but what if he decides to head to Detroit where there's much less risks involved? Then we are ROYALLY screwed.

12. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I like and would be willing to try Ryan or Spags.

However Shanahan is a HOF caliber coach. Elway or not the guy is a great coach and a great offensive mind. I wouldnt have minded it at all if he was our head coach.

Out of Spags or Ryan I dont know who I want. I like Spags a lot but I could be swayed on Ryan as well.

13. harts24

harts24 Member

thank god, I`ll take rex ryan

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's the problem at the moment: let's say the Jets hire a Ryan or Spagnuolo for next season, leaving Tannenbaum and many of the assistant coaches in place. Then let's say they have a bad off year and go 4-12, which is a real possibility given the way the franchise has been oscillating the last half decade.

What do they do then? Fire Tannenbaum? Fire the new coach? Sit on their hands for another season?

The Jets really need to clean house right now. They need to sweep out the trash that has accumulated over the last 7 or 8 years. They need to end the Bradway affiliation once and for all. They probably need to end the Tannenbaum affiliation. Both of these are remnants in one way or another of the Parcells era and they are the clingy kind that drop off into the toilet bowl only when you lift up and shake your ass to get them there.

They also need to fire most of the current coaching staff with the understanding that some may be re-interviewed by the new coach when he is brought in. The Jets are getting shrugged off by the heavyweight candidates at the moment because the Jets are just too encumbered by the past to be a good landing spot for an established coach. This means they are either going to wind up with a retread who will accept that status quo or with a very young guy without enough power to say no.

Either option is going to be unlikely to produce any value for the Jets over the long run.

There's a reason the Jets have been unable to make a bright new beginning over the last 8 years despite two clear attempts to do so: you can't make a clean start unless you wipe the slate clean while doing so. It was players who were the sticking point the first time around with Vinny slowly declining at QB and the cap situation set to self-destruct. The second time was all about the management structure in place, which had failed but for some reason was allowed to stick around. This time it's both. We're much worse off now than we were in 2001 and we're no better and maybe worse than in 2005. We really need a clean slate.

#14 Br4d, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The more I think about this the more depressed I get. The talent pool is very thin right now, and we had better get either Spags or Ryan or this will truly be one major fuckup.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I disagree.

First of all, Tannenbaum has done an excellent job with getting the deals done that he was required to get done. He has improved the talent on this team vastly. It isn't his job to coach up the talent, just acquire it, and he succeeded in that. Further, he succeeded at that with Bradway's help. Bradway is a terrible GM, but an excellent scout. Bradway is the scouting equivelant of Dick LaBeau.

Second, there is absolutely nothing wrong with bringing in the new coach and letting them to decide what to do with the current coaching staff, rather than just offing them completely and potentially losing out on someone they may have wanted to keep around.

If we're bringing in a new coach that we expect to be a serious coach, then the Jets should have enough faith in that new coach to be able to make a good judgment call on who stays and who goes.

17. pete cofran

pete cofran New Member

If its Steve Spagnuolo I hope they do it for the right reason, that he's the right fit for the team and not to just to steal him away form the Superbowl Giants.

I have a hard time believing that Shanny would demand complete control after what happened in Denver. Its probably the Jets have their sights set on other candidates rather than rejected Shanny because of his demands. Just like when some one leaked a similar take on Cower which turned out to be wrong.

#17 pete cofran, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm really getting the awful feeling that we're going to end up promoting in-house. A horrid, horrid feeling.

19. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

This makes no sense. Bill Callahan is a former head coach, yet they're interviewing him.

20. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'm in panic mode right now. Why would a coordinator choose the Jets over any other team? It's an absolute disaster, and after what happened to Mangini I doubt either Spags or Ryan are itching to take over.