Favre/Cowher

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Justwinit, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Justwinit

Justwinit Active Member

Many of the reports I have read indicate that the reason for Cowher not wanting to be the HC of the NYJ is Brett Favre. I am not sure what his reasoning is for that.

What if we have not hired a coach in the next few weeks and Brett says that he is done. Does Bill Cowher than reconsider? Even if Brett comes back, does he have any more than one year left in the tank? Could Bill not deal with Brett for one year? If Brett does play and he plays bad, sit him on the bench. I am sure Bill has the balls to do that.

38 years of this crap for me and I would like nothing more than to see Cowher on the sidelines but this Brett deal does not add up to me. Bill knows the Jets will throw the kitchen sink at him to come here. Just questioning his reasoning.

2. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

Cowher's reasoning MAY be he doesn't think the Jets are the best place for him to coach next. When you reach the status level of Cowher, you get to choose when and where you coach. Everybody chases you. Cowher decided he could do better than the situation with the Jets, be it Favre, Tannenbaum or Woody.

3. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

The jets already announced that the next coach would decide Favre's fate. If Cowher really wanted to come here, he would've been interviewed by now. I've heard other reports saying he was not interested b/c of the Jet's "Historic dysfunction" (supposedly his words). Either way, he does not want to be the HC here... Favre or no Favre.

4. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Both Woody and Mr.T said if Favre wants back they are definitely taking him back, they did not say they would consider the coaches feeling on this.

They basically said they will hire a coach that would go along with having Favre back.

Which is why Cowher told them to BEAT IT!!!

It's also why they fired Mangini, and why our next coach will be a Favre stooge!!!

#4 Jaded Green, Jan 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I agree!

Favre was under a year year deal for $12M. If the Jets don't want him we don't have to have him.

I personnally want him back for a full off season of conditioning and work. I want Brett R to get another year of experience behind him. No more Clemens!

6. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Bill Cowher is a good coach who had 15 yrs with one organization. He is probably not comfortable with the Jets in terms of the organization's soap opera penchant for switching Coaches every few years. Its a legitimate concern for anybody looking at taking the Jets job. Woody should be willing to make some assurances that Cowher would be able to run the show and have a say on personnel decisions. If Woody isn't willing to do that than Woody isn't going to be able to hire the likes of Cowher or Shanahan.

Shanahan has won more super bowls than Cowher has, hopefully we are calling Shanahan for an interview.

7. Ralphw

Ralphw New Member

I personally feel we have not heard the last from Cowher

8. agrich

agrich New Member

If you pursue a head coaching job, you're thinking it's a long-term, at least 5-year commitment. Tough for me to believe the deciding factor in not pursuing it would be a 39-year-old QB who may not even come back for 2009, let alone after that.

9. Namathfan

Namathfan New Member

Favre has already started out his hemming, hawing and jerking around the Jets brass. He's 40 friggin years old, his judgement is terrible and his ego is fragile.

10. Revis Flytrap

Revis Flytrap New Member

Based on the stuff that's coming out from other players, and the way BF looked on the sideline, and that lame pep-talk, and the lousy play, I think BF is done with this team. We may hear something after Minn. is knocked out of the playoffs--I expect he'll end up there next year if he plays at all.

And as another said, I don't think we've heard the last from BC--Supposedly he's to discuss his perceptions this weekend on national TV. If he says that he's out of consideration for NYJ, then I'll believe it.

11. chopke

chopke New Member

If Favre were the hang-up, negotiations would have either gone further or been delayed. There is no way Cowher turns down the HC job just because he doesn't want a 40 year old injured player who probably won't be on the team anyway. At the very least, Cowher would tell Woody to get back to him when Favre decides.

12. dschertz

dschertz New Member

where is this information that Cowher doesn't want to be here because of Favre at ?

13. Ralphw

Ralphw New Member

Espn outside the lines is covering this now 5:30

Espn outside the lines is covering this now 5:30

14. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It's simple. If you can have your choice of coaching jobs among the 7-8 NFL opening, why take the job where you have to deal with Favre and off-season BS???? Favre has now taken two franchises down with him in two years. Why should Cowher deal with that when, on top of the Favre issue, there is nothing magical about coaching the Jets??? Why is this so hard to understand? It makes any coaches first year year a mess.

15. dschertz

dschertz New Member

How did he take 2 franchise's down ? Everybody is mad at because he wasn't chums with everybody, quite high foolish.

16. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

So Favre is to blame not only for our misfortunes but The Packers as well? How many interceptions did he throw for the Pack this year?

The Packers stuck to their guns and went with the young QB. Sure took them a long way huh.

I am willing to see Favre in Jets green one more season.

17. Jaded Green

Jaded Green New Member

Aaron Roger's season was 100x better than Brett Favre's!!!

18. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

F-ck Bill Cowher. He isn't the great white hope. He isn't that great of a coach. One Super Bowl win in 15 years isn't exactly greatness. Let it go.

19. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

The steelers wouldnt have even won that game without the refs' help.

20. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

6 -10 is sure 100x better than our season.

So is it that the Packers weren't very good? Or was it Rodgers fault? Or was it Favre's fault they only won 6? They were in the playoffs with Favre last year. Hmmmm....

The reason the Jets lost near the end of the season does not entirely fall with Favre. This is my point. Numerous things went wrong. Some are being tended to right now.