WOW, did the Jets make a mistake letting Mangini go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Dec 31, 2008.

1. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree completely, he made way too many rookie mistakes

2. JetsLookingforDWare

They probably did and didn't at the same time. Dude will be fine, but so will we. The saying's something like "life goes on."

3. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

Here is my take on Mangini. We wanted to become the Patriots. We needed a Patriot to become a Patriot. So, we hire their DC, who's only had the job 1 yr mind you, and hope for magic. He turns the Jets into psudo-Patriots. Gets rid of our franchise player, Vilma, and encourages the GM to spend 500 million dollars. It failed, we're back to square one and don't have much cap room. That about sums it up.

4. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

That's fair, I guess. So from here -- we being Jet fans -- either Mangini will coach another team to a Dynasty or he'll fade into obscurity like 90% of coaches in the college / pros.

Either way, Jets management will look like fat losers.

5. JetsLookingforDWare

Gang green...Vilma a franchise player? We're back to square one?

Try telling the Jets they're at square one.

6. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

We have 7 pro-bowlers. We started the season 8 - 3. We could have eased into the playoffs but no. This season is all on Mangini. I'm sorry I liked the guy. I think he just was in way above his head.

I think he needed several more years as a coordinator before becoming an HC.

I think he will be an EXCELLENT HC someday. Belicheck had to learn the hard way as well.

Mangini just wasn't ready and it was obvious.

7. SyracuseJet

I liked Mangini. But unfortunetly he worried too much about being better then BB then he did about being himself.

8. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

And this is the exact kind of coaching that turns a player into a shame/guilt carrier, and ultimately leads to losing the locker room.... I think he really had potential, and prolly still does, he knows his x's and o's and concepts such as fundamentals and execution, but he didn't work the scene out in NY correctly, and who knows, maybe he's just not a NY kind of guy

9. JetsLookingforDWare

Lol...you're saying he hurts peoples feelings onejetfan? Thats...possible. Heh.

10. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

more of a psyche challenge.... which most fold under.....lol
    he lost the team, bottom line

11. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

This article is a joke, if Manstupid didn't like Shott's play calling he could have had Callahan take over with out missing a beat. And if he didn't like Sutton's play calling he could have called the defensive plays himself. And if Favre was hurting the team Manstupid could have benched him.

12. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

All learned lessons that he will probably take to his next place of employment.

13. chopke

chopke New Member

I like Mangini and fully expect to be pissed when he's successful with some other team. However, he just wasn't getting the job done in NY and lost this team. It doesn't matter if it was "his fault" or not. All that mattered is that he clearly didn't have the attributes to coach the New York Jets to a Super Bowl. For that reason alone, letting him go was the only viable option.

14. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Oh yeah. If I am a high-priced free agent who's signed by a team?
    This is the kind of guy I wanna play for???
    Look, no offense, but this sounds more like the qualifications you look for in a high school coach than an NFL coach.
    It might be the kind of coach "I would like them to hire" but it just doesn't work in the real world...

Are this many Jets fans put of touch with the modern NFL????

15. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

Since we didn't get Cowher, well, yes.:sad:

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

If by mistake you mean because the Jets were out played in 12 games of the season by inferior talented teams with better coaching staffs. If by mistake you mean that this team looked terrible with long stretches of lethargy and mistake ridden football. Yes then I agree it was a horrid mistake to get rid of him.

17. Bosko

Bosko Guest

Excellent interpretation of the facts at hand. But I think we Jets fans need to begin to realize how Woody is screwing up the team...

18. SyracuseJet

I like Woody for at least having the nuts to spend money to improve. Might not have spent AS much as he did, but that's neither here nor there. I'm optimistic about the future. And YES, I think we will be BETTER with Brett at the helm. Clemens, Ainge and Ratliff aren't ready, and may never be.

19. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Totally agreed. I'm just sickened by this. After decades of watching this team, I can remember a couple of really bad decembers, but this ranks right up at the top.

I think they should have kept Mangini if Cowher wasn't a lock.

Stupid owner - stupid GM - stupid franchise.

20. Jtuds

Jtuds Active Member

Yeah it had nothing to do with the pathetic Pass defence, 10 yard passing offense, and deep pass plays that sent just one guy deep at a time......

Mangini was in over his head.....who cares how hard he is on players when the system he is reaming them for not performing well enough is broken from the get go.

I could scream at you because you won't tell me 2+2=5 but in the end, what does it matter, because even if I convince you that I'm right, we're still wrong in the end...