WOW, did the Jets make a mistake letting Mangini go

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Dec 31, 2008.

1. GreatSwamp

GreatSwamp Member

its hard to believe since he never showed any anger/fire on the field on gameday.

2. scoochydawg

scoochydawg Active Member

Everyone wants someone to blame, we are all pissed and so is the management. So what can they do? Fire the coach! Is it Manginis fault Favre threw 22 INT's? If Cowher were coach Favre would have thrown less INTs? You cant win a Superbowl when your QB throws that many picks. So when the Jets were 8-3 Mangini was awesome? Then the last 5 games Mangini just gave up and sucked at coaching?... wake up people.

3. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

Does this mean Mangini did not have a say in firing Sutton and Schithead

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He always looked angry to me. Just didn't do anything about it.

5. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Mangini should not have been fired if the coordinators weren't.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Well, if the Coordinators stay, I doubt any fans will, so they are gone. Just not officially.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I've found this quite odd.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

that is the best description I've read yet--he did coach scared--instead of coaching to win, he coached not to fail--

9. Phear

Phear New Member

no mangini should have been fired, and the oc and dc will be gone once a new hc comes in.

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

EXACTLY how many people here would be bitching if Mangini got the extension. Everyone would say we could have gotten Cowher, Shanahan, etc. We all thought the grass was greener on the other side and that might turn out to be wrong. Whatever the case may be, Woody listened to what the majority of the fans wanted and we have to live with that, this one's on us.

When the Jets got Brett Favre and cut Pennington, we were ecstatic. Why? Because the past few seasons Pennington's play was mediocre at best and we weren't going to settle with mediocrity. Like the fans of the other 31 NFL teams, we wanted to see what was best for the Jets. Brett Favre seemed like he could lift us to that next level. Most people seemed to agree, not just Jets fans, that this was the right move for the Jets. My friends who are fans of other teams were all excited for me because they also agreed the move was good. Ditto with the media.

...Then came along the season and everyone turned on the Jets because Pennington did so well in Miami (how were we supposed to know he was gonna play that well really?), and Favre collapsed. The Jets were considered the bad guy because they were trying their best to win and consequently cut ties with the loyal Chad Pennington. Moreover, the Fins fans are now laughing at us thinking Chad is the 2nd coming of Christ.

How does this relate to Eric Mangini? Well again we got back to us not settling for mediocrity. I know Mangini went from 4-12 to 9-7 in one year, but 9-7 is average. We are not settling for average, we want greatness! Firing Mangini might not end up being a good move, but at least we're not willing to settle. I know lately things haven't worked out for this team lately, and I don't know about you guys, but the moment I stop expecting the Jets to make it to the Superbowl year in and year out, is the day I stop being a fan.

#30 Quinnenthebeast, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Mangini was outcoached and proved he is in over his head. To many FG's on 4th and inches. Woody didn't spend that much money on his offensive line to kick field goals. Mangini is not capable of winning in a division that has Belicheck and a Parcells built team. PERIOD!

12. 624

624 Banned

he also worked 16 hour days...i wouldve liked to see him one more year with a good DC and OC

13. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If he deserves the blame for failing to motivate them after going 8-3 than he deserves credit for getting them to 8-3. He can't be blamed for something if he can't also be praised for it. There was a lot wrong with this team, part of it is on him, part is on the QB play, part on the defensive scheme, the offensive play-calling, and on the players in general to be fired up.

Favre's pregame speech for the Phins game was, I think, a microcosm of this team this year. If that's the leadership that they're getting from the captains on the field than I doubt we stood much of a chance at that point. It is Mangini's job to motivate his players but that responsibility also falls on the captains. Where were Faneca, Ellis, Favre, and Rhodes during all of this? Do you honestly believe that Mangini was telling his players, "You know what why bother giving a crap?" when he met with the captains?

Everyone wants to complain about Mangini's lack of fire but numerous at least one article in today's papers detailed him ripping players and coaches left and right behind closed doors. He just spared them from the indignation of tearing them apart on the sidelines.

14. CatoTheElder

No, he spent all that money on the o-line to get first downs and avoid 4th and inches.

15. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Except, with a healthy QB (That means skip 07) he's .500 against Belidouche. Winning twice on the road.

They guy is thirtyf*ngseven. A HC for 3 years. He should have been TOLD to fire the coordinators and hire two with experience. RAC and even paul hackett fcol.

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

DING-DING-DING...WE HAVE A WINNAH!

17. CatoTheElder

FOURTHANDLONG, how much time can you really give a Parcells-built team these days, anyway? Two years after he left, the Cowboys missed the playoffs. Even when he was coaching the team, the Cowboys missed the playoffs. One year after stepping down as HC, the Jets missed the playoffs. Now, there's speculation that he'll be out of Miami by February if Huizenga can finalize his sale of the Phins by mid January. Plus, we're already .500 against that Dolphins team so how can you sell out Mangini against this team already?

18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

In answer the the question,

NO!!!!!!!

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

damn right! That fg in seattle on our first drive made me livid

20. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

And Denver.