Chad Wins Comeback Player of the Year

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Namath2Kolber, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Just because he is the QB and the team improved, does not mean he is worthy of being called the most valuable player.

You and I both know that if Chad were capable of winning a game or keeping the D honest on his own, we would have never seen the rise of the Wildcat offense this season.

The coaching was terrific, and Sparano definitely deserves consideration for Coach of the Year.

The MVP is the difference maker for a team. All the Phins needed was any old conservative QB to succeed with their defense and coaching this season.... Nobody who watched the team could make a serious argument that Chad was the difference maker there

2. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I know! It is like the douche is still a Jet! Whats with all the man love for cp.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Regarding Comeback Player of the Year, personally, I don't think Pennington should be a two-time winner, because I don't (and didn't) think he deserved it in 2006 - he didn't actually have that great a year. He had a very good year this year, so the award is much more deserved this time.

Regarding MVP, I think Manning and Michael Turner are far better choices than Pennington, and if there wasn't the complete bias against defensive players there are several more worthy people there as well. You could certainly argue that he deserves to be in the top 5 of the voting, but I don't see any way that he deserves to be MVP. It's the Dolphins defense that has made them a plus-.500 team, not Pennington.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

nope

Hearst only won it in 2001

5. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Look at the offense Manning has to work with. Then look at Chad's. Now, Peyton may have been able to do what Chad did with the Dolphins, but he didn't. He did it with a still talented team in the Colts. Now honestly, which is more impressive? Plus, the Colts were actually pretty inconsistent for most of the early part of the season. It's a fair argument to have Chad on the MVP short-list this year.

6. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Jetzz...u were right...bmoose.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Yes, but it doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. Instead I want to vomit. :sad:

8. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

...which is why you stuck by him in the first place:sad:

9. FatStupidLoser

"He was our savior," Porter said. "He changed this whole team. He's not the one that's going to brag about it. He's just an old, humble country boy. So I'm going to brag for him."

10. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

Didn't he also win it in 95?

11. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Jim Harbaugh won the PFW/PFWA Comeback Player of the Year Award in 1995. The AP didn't start selecting a CPotY till 1998.

Those are the only two truly recognizable and prestigious selecting organizations.

Hearst possibly could have won, say, the Arizona Republic or the Des Moines Register comeback player award in 1995 and maybe this is why you thought he won it twice.

#51 Cakes, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  12. youraveragejoe29

youraveragejoe29 New Member

to me winning this twice in this many years is not a good thing who cares about him watch him in the playoffs

13. Amaru

Amaru Well-Known Member

This post is spot on. Chad was the most noticeable cause of the Dolphins' turnaround, but I would argue that the coaching and the resurgence of Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, and Joey Porter had a much greater impact on the Dolphins. Anyone who watched Chad play can tell that he's still the same QB he was last year, a game manager.

The Colts losing Manning would be far more devastating than the Dolphins losing Pennington. Also, the argument that Manning is just doing what he's always done does not hold. The MVP award isn't for leading the greatest turnaround. It just happens that Manning has been so good for so long. You can't hold that against him.

#53 Amaru, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  14. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Really? Joey Porter?

15. peachfish

peachfish New Member

QB's win all the awads but I don't even think Chad was the comeback player of his team. Joey Porter just as important to that team's sucess, and plenty of people were saying Porter was DONE. They weren't saying Chad could never again be a compitant game control type QB which is exactly what he was. Who really thought that given the right situation Chad couldn't be accurate and careful with the football?

16. blevins

blevins New Member

Miami is not a run first team. Eleven teams, including the PATS ran the ball more often than Miami. Their season breakdown was 491passes (476 by Chad) and 448 rushes (30 by Chad).
    Chad was the MVP of Miami and is recognized by all the players as such. Even the high ego guys like Joey Porter, Ronnie Brown, Will Allen, etc. recognize that he is the number 1 reason their season turned around. They love him in Miami just as we did in NY before the torn rotor cuff.
    His season stats are better than Mannings with a much poorer suporting cast. Like it or not, he deserves the Pro Bowl and he deserves the league MVP even though he did/will not get either award.

17. FatStupidLoser

Are you in a better position to know than him?

18. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Funny....but so true!!!

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

So we can now call Chad the "Bernard King of football"? Good for him, I knew he was going to come back strong, sucks he did it for Miami and not us.

20. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Well I used the word seriously, and you responded with Joey Porter. Which is a complete joke...

Plus, defensive players often don't even watch the offense during the games unless it's a pivotal situation. They're usually back on the bench, going over what they're going to do the next time out, with coaches and reserves blocking their view.

Chances are, I saw more of Chad's in-game performances this season than Porter did...

Porter's probably commenting more on Chad's leadership and hard-work than his actual in-game value.