***Bill Cowher --- News Thread***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Dec 30, 2008.

1. jets12

jets12 Active Member

22 interceptions will do that

2. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

You mean, it's not for that delicious chin of his?

3. jets12

jets12 Active Member

I am with you, Schwartz would also be good. Bill Belicheat said he is the smartest and hardest working guys he has ever worked with.

4. BxJetFan

BxJetFan New Member

I agree with you. I doubt theres that many coaches that can come in and instantly show us wins against the patriots and now we need to look out for the dolphins. At least we knew Mangini could compete within our own division. The same thing that we saw happened to Chad we will see happen to Eric Mangini. I wish him the best of luck with the cleveland browns and watch him win a super bowl before we do.

5. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

Completely agree, welcome to 10-6 at best and a wild card first round knockout with a prominent boring ground game plan.

Even with the collapse I would rather Mangini then family Schottenheimer.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It's actually 8. Good thing you started a new thread to let us know why you want him though. No way this subject could have fit into any other threads.

7. section134

section134 Active Member

WE NEED A PROVEN HEAD COACH ----NO MORE HERMAN-GROH-MANGINI

WE NEED A TOP NOTCH MAN---cant afford to give a few years to an assistant coach for him to learn the job

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

he's got a point. :rolleyes:

9. BroadwayMike

BroadwayMike New Member

The Scotts is the last f'ing thing I would want here. Shit, I'd rather have Herm than Marty with Schotts as both coordinators.

10. BxJetFan

BxJetFan New Member

OK... who did the steelers realistically have to compete against during that time. NO ONE. How many wins does he have against the pats, the colts, the chargers, and the other teams in the AFC east. Thats what matters. Coaching in the AFC east is no joke. Hence the bills went 0-6 in the division this season after coming out to a fast start.

11. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Gimme Schwartz or Ryan. I can't take Marty. What are the chances Marty pulls a Joe Torre?

12. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

That's what my cousin said on the phone about Marty. He's a Met fan and I am a Yankees fan. I still don't want Marty.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Are you aware that Cowher coached under Schottenheimer from 1985-91 and that they share the same basic philosophies?

Also, Cowher's playoff record prior to Carson Palmer being cheapshotted by Kimo von Oelhoffen was only 8-9.

14. section134

section134 Active Member

so you want us to get another assistant coach and spend years behind the pats and the dolphs

or some head coach that's been fired because he couldnt get the job done

WE NEED COWER

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

You wrote gimme schwartz and then you wrote pulls.

(pretend a Beavis picture appears here)

16. Mr Potato Fro

Mr Potato Fro New Member

Yeah, because the O-line was money, the defense was Johnny on the spot, and game planning and halftime adjustments were a thing of legend.

Favre played like ass trying to put points on the board in the last 5 games no doubt. But the points the defense allowed is inexcusable. Watching the secondary the last few games made me wonder if they had even ever seen a football before. When commentators make references every week about how much time the opposing QB has to throw, and saying things like "he has enough time to eat a sandwich back there" , yeah that's really one persons fault.

Favre didn't bring the coach down, the entire team did. And Mangini himself.

17. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

This is the Cowher news thread, so even though its not too new, it was posted in the last hour, and has some "new" names for the job:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2008/12/cowher_agrees_to_talk_to_new_y.html

Bill Cowher agrees to talk to New York Jets about coaching job
    by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger
    Tuesday December 30, 2008, 9:09 PM

Bill Cowher hasn't taken himself out of the running for the Jets head coaching job.

At least not yet.

Cowher agreed Tuesday to talk to the club about the opening created when the Jets fired Eric Mangini on Monday morning, though no interview has been scheduled, according to a team official familiar with the details of the coaching search.

While team officials wait to see when they can meet with Cowher, Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo will have his chance to impress the Jets' decision-makers on Saturday. Current Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer also will get a shot in the coming days.

Still, Cowher remains at the top of the Jets' wish list.

Cowher's presence in the mix -- the two sides probably will talk within the next week -- was in a bit of doubt early yesterday when reports surfaced that the former Steelers coach had pulled himself out of the running before discussions had even started. Speculation on ESPN.com cited Cowher's desire to have full control over personnel, an issue because current Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum is already entrenched in that role.

But the team official, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak publicly about the Jets' search, said Cowher hasn't given the impression that he wants to bring in his own personnel guy, adding that Tannenbaum would have no problem working with an experienced coach like Cowher and sharing personnel decisions.

"Mike isn't on an ego trip," the team official said.

Whether Tannenbaum would be willing to share, or even abdicate, his decision-making authority during the draft and free-agency periods remains to be seen.

After announcing Mangini's firing Monday, Jets owner Woody Johnson made it clear he believes in the separation of the business and coaching aspects of his organization.

"It's too much" to coach and oversee personnel matters, Johnson said Monday. "There's no way that you can do it, in my opinion, and really do it, because you're always relying on somebody else. You may think that you have the power, but you can't make those discerning decisions, there's just too much work to do and be a coach."

Johnson is not going to compromise that belief to bring in a high-profile coach, the team official said.

In addition to Cowher, Spagnuolo (who also could interview with the Browns) and Schottenheimer, the Jets' list of candidates includes Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and Jets assistant head coach/offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

The Jets didn't fire any assistant coaches and some will be retained by the new head coach. Schottenheimer, Callahan and defensive line coach Dan Quinn are among the coaches the Jets would like to keep, according to someone with knowledge of the organization's thinking who requested anonymity.

But Cowher, 50, is the top priority -- for now. In 15 seasons as the Steelers coach, he compiled a 161-99-1 record, including the playoffs, before stepping down in January 2007. He won eight division titles, earned 10 playoff berths, reached six AFC Championship games and two Super Bowls, winning Super Bowl XL.

"I think one of the best things (Cowher) did is he always did the right thing at the right time," said Jets veteran left guard Alan Faneca, who played nine seasons under Cowher. "I think whether it was motivation or practice schedule or what to say or what not to say or how to do things, he had real good timing on things."

Cowher recently turned down an opportunity to interview with the Cleveland Browns, a team he played for, but the Jets job is intriguing.

Reportedly, he's interested in the Jets job for a couple of reasons. First, he'd love to coach in the New York market. Secondly, two of his daughters either go to school or work in the New York-New Jersey area.

What's more, the Jets are a team that is ready to win now. They had a solid running game and a strong 3-4 defense, principles Cowher lived by in Pittsburgh.

Cowher is expected to speak publicly for the first time abut the Jets' opening and other coaching opportunities during CBS' wild-card pregame show.

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

^ good read..thanks for posting, Hiker.

EDIT: Nice avatar. :up:

#378 MBGreen, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

actually, mangini and sutton.:sad:

20. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Why the fuck does this team want to keep Shotty?