***Bill Cowher --- News Thread***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm getting really excited about the possibilty of Cowher AND some high level Pitt exec. Hopefully he leaves Chan Gailey home though.

2. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I do agree. Its a damn good roster. Its a roster that lost to crap teams and beat the best teams on the road. Cowher had to see that. He played BIG BEN like a rookie qb that only needed to make a few plays a game..so the qb dilema is not a problem.

He has an offensive front line that is very solid. A front seven that he will make work. A running game with a rising star in Washington. He has 80% of what he needs on this roster already.

3. Quack

Quack New Member

Don't need Haynesworth for that. If Ratliff makes even half the progression this offseason that he did in the last one, then Cowher + Ratliff + Houshamazood would undoubtedly equal superbowl. Of course, if the Jets pick up T.J. Houshmandzedah, I will

4. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

That would be a huge pick up -- he has to want out of cinci -- will they franchise him though

5. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

This is silliness. Brett Ratliff looked decent in a couple preseason games. That doesn't mean he's anything more than practice fodder.

If Favre is no longer our QB, then either we'll draft a new QB of the future or bring in an established veteran. The chances of Ratliff being our QB of the future are nil.

6. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

It really isn't all that different than what we did with Bradway a few years ago, only the other way around - we took away his GM title and moved him into a personnel "consulting" position. Here, I imagine we'd do the opposite - hand over the personnel duties to a Cowher person and keep Tannenbaum in a business management position. Severing the personnel duties from the administrative duties, if you think about it, makes so much good business sense.

7. Salz

Salz New Member

But Tannenbaum seems to be shrewd with personnel moves judging by his 3 drafts and free agency signings.

8. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Drop Clemens, draft a future franchise QB, and let Ratliff and the new kid fight in the preseason for the #2 spot behind Favre.

9. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

Not for nothing but Francessa was blasting the hell out of ESPN for their slack ass reporting.

According to him BILL COWHER has NOT even spoke to the Jets directly and has made NO demands on changing ANY of the current Jets personnel.

Mike said that any story is bogus with Cowher making demands and that ESPN is trying to cover their own tracks, that their sources are no where near as accurate as his.

Just a little more drama to the fold.

#189 Lunatic, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  10. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Francesa, to give credit where it is due, was reporting all day yesterday that Shotty and Sutton were NOT fired, even as Newsday.com was reporting it.

11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I like Mike T as the GM, I think he has done a good job. He is a tireless worker, I'm sure a heck of a negotiator but he is not a football guy. He went out and got the players Mangini wanted, I'm sure Mangini had a big say on draft day as well.

There is no reason he won't stay in the organization probably with a nice pay raise and a promotion but if we can get someone who knows football to run the football operations and Bill Cowher to coach the team it is a huge upgrade for the Jets.

12. JetsLookingforDWare

Whoever is getting the Browns next is going to have alot of nice pieces to work with.

I love some of the talent on that team actually...Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald are two pretty good young corners...especially Wright.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Tannenbaum is great at negotiating and managing the cap, we know this for sure. Kind of like a stock broker. But he's always had a football guy sitting by his side helping him make the talent decisions. I want a football genius at GM, not a stockbroker. If we could keep him around in the capacity he was in before he was promoted to GM, I'd like that a lot.

14. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Please. No. Shottys.

15. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

It's reasonable to think that the CPA exam didn't prepare him for the draft - our personnel people did. He also pissed away tall value picking Gholston and Ferguson. Hindsight tells us there were better picks, although I'll grant that the jury is not completely in just yet.

16. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

this is good but I just came to a realization

our team is a mess

17. JetsLookingforDWare

You MF-ing blasphemer. You take that back right now.

18. abyzmul

Yeah, I'm on the same page. Woody isn't taking no for an answer anymore.

19. abyzmul

I knew that in the 80s.

20. k311

k311 Member

Not saying it's realistic, but Ratliff has the tools to be a great QB. He has great field vision for a guy that young and a strong arm.