***Bill Cowher --- News Thread***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Convince him to step aside? Who is the owner here and who is the janitor?

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

See, I'm of two minds on the matter.

First, I agree with you. These guys still being here makes me think "Oh noes! Please don't give me Martyball!"

On the other hand, what if we're wrong about Sutton and Schottenheimer? What if the problem was Mangini? What if Eric's ego became too large, and he's the one who was screwing up the playcalling? I doubt it, but it's surely a possibility that shouldn't be ignored.

If that's the case, and Sutton and Schotty Jr. are good at their jobs, then under Cowher it would be hard to argue against keeping them.

Now I'm not saying it's likely, and honestly, I don't believe it to be the case. However, I don't know. I'm patient enough to wait it out right now though.

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I think the only reason Schotty is still here is because that's an HC decision.

4. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm ready to condemn Woody if he fucks this up? Absolutely I am. I'm waiting just like everybody else but if he lets something like this get in the way of bringing in a established coach, you damn right I'm gonna trash Woody.

I'm hoping/praying for a Parcellian compromise here. Woody has to make the call on this. Tannenbaum and Cowher have to come to some sort of agreement on the delegation of power.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Excellent, excellent points, especially the minority interview. Woody leaves himself wide open to litigation if that is not done. And to my knowledge, not one minority has been mentioned as a consideration.

So, if the Cowher thing is in the works, which I believe it is, Woody still has to get past the obligatory minority interview even though no one decent is on the horizon.

But I disagree with the mid-February call. I think this goes down much sooner. Woody's not one for entertaining nagging, never-ending questions from the media and the speed in which Mangini was kicked aside like roadkill tells me he and Tannenbaum want this to move along very quickly.

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

read between the lines.

it's apparent that Woody views Tanny as a trusted confidant....the fact that he's still employed and Mangini is on the curb is a testament to that relationship. I don't think Woody takes a shit until he's discussed the ramifications with Tanny first.

7. Section 227. Row 5

That was pretty apparent at the Press Conference. It wouldn't surprise me if Tannenbaum picked out what brand of toilet paper he wants Woody to employ.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ok. now you're scaring me.. Quit it!!!

9. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Exactly what did Tanny do to merit a firing? He's had three great drafts that have produced four Pro-Bowlers and signed the best available free agents on the market (Jenkins, Pace, Faneca, etc...). Now you want to fire him because Cower says so?

10. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

where did i say I wanted to fire him? I was merely speculating on what Woody Johnson's options could be regarding the Cowher situation....relax buddy....go have yourself a Fresca.

11. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U would move Tanny back to being a CPA & bring in Cowhers guy whomever that is as GM

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You could be right about it being earlier. I just don't know who would get the interview. Crennel just announced he'd be willing to stay on with the Browns as DC if the new coach wanted him. (That tells me Mangini is a distinct possibility.)

Who else is there? Especially one who isn't currently in the playoffs? Unless they do something internally.

Personally, I'd like this to get done ASAP. I don't have an issue with the interview process, but if the Jets already have Cowher on a handshake deal, Barak Obama could interview and not get the job.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

wasn't there noise about Leslie Frazier being brought in for an interview...or the Jets asking for permission to do so?

14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think what Cowher is pushing for is to make sure he does not get stuck with a Brett Favre on the field. He must be in control of personnel decisions. The GM can make it happen. If it becomes an issue of PSLs, Cowher will sell more than Brett so Woody should be happy.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm torn on this...

I personally think Tannenbaum is excellent for what he does, and can contribute a lot to the organization for years to come...

On the flip side, if we can get Cowher for the next 10 years or so... that would be absolutely priceless...

16. Section 227. Row 5

I don't have an issue with the interview process either, but the NFL is quite adamant about adhering to this and, if a handshake is in the works already, this would totally explain the hush-hush surrounding Cowher.

"Bill Cowher agreed 'to talk' to the NY Jets." That's the way it would have to be described until all appropriate interviews have taken pace, at which time they select Cowher and date the contract for that date.

17. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Monkeys make everything better:

[​IMG]

and I'd to think a guy that runs a billion+ dollar corporation would hedge his bets before firing the coach he has under contract.

18. Section 227. Row 5

I'm not sure Cowher would be getting "stuck" with Brett Favre on the field for one year. Who else on our team is ready to be #1? Ratliff MAYBE. Certainly not Clemens, IMO. And who else out there on some other team is available to do a better job than Favre would do while Cowher grooms the next Ben Rothlisberger?

I don't know. If Favre decides to return, I think we use him. If he doesn't (or can't), then in goes Ratliff. But either way, I don't think Cowher's decision to come here would involve Favre's staying or leaving because I think Cowher is a more forward thinker than that. He knows he's got Favre (if at all) for only one year tops.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I saw Cakes mention it, but nothing official.

Yeah, that's why I have no problem being patient. He may already be the next coach of the NYJ, but they can't say he is yet.

I love how everyone ignores this.

We've seen Ratliff beat up on guys who are, at this very moment, bagging groceries, yet people are willing to put all of thier eggs in his basket.

Favre is the best QB we have going into next year as long as he's healthy. Given the talent pool we have on the team, we're set for a real run next year if the incoming coach doesn't change from the 3-4. Otherwise, it's rebuild time.

Personally, whoever comes in should make every effort for next year to be "the year" and whatever happens, be prepared for rebuilding starting 2010. But you make the push in '09.

20. skorol75

skorol75 New Member

Wise post. Tanny proved he is a great capologist, since he was able to clear enough cap to sign some pretty good players, who demanded a lot of money. But in terms of assembling talent... Wasting #6 overall pick is a huge mistake. There was a chance to draft QB of the future perhaps. Also I recall he played a big role in drafting Robertson as high as we did. And outright releasing what turned out to be #2 rated passer this year to a conference rival is just unforgivable. Demote Tanny to capologist, where he is at his best, and bring in new GM. Of course it looks like Woody has his head quite far up Tanny's ass to make this happen though.