***Bill Cowher --- News Thread***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Dec 30, 2008.

1. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

UGH! Come on, Woody! Make the right decision.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

But Woody emphatically said yesterday that it is impossible to do both jobs effectively. He said it as if he realy meant it... probably said it becuase he knew the Cowher question would immediately take center stage.

The whole thing smacks of something that has been set up in advance, IMO. Think about it. Even the comment about the GM role.

It's not hard to imagine that a converstaion with Cowher has already taken place. All the pieces are there. Cowher announces he's not interested in the Browns job, but will "talk" to the Jets. Woody "decisively" fires Mangini within 15 hours of the loss to the Dolphins after saying the night before that they were going to review Mangini's status over "the next week" and come to a decision.

Not hard to imagine a secret sit-down between Tannenbaum and Cowher taking place say, a week or two ago, in which the preliminaries were laid out, salary discussed, etc. Then, over the past weekend, Cowher gets back to Woody and accepts, in principle. The only thing left is to quickly kick Mangini out the door so that the media doesn't go into more of a complete speculative frenzy than they've already got going.

Woody announces today or tomorrow that talks have "begun" with Cowher and by Thursday, before too much of it can leak out, Cowher's hiring is announced. This is all back door stuff going on, I'm convinced of it. And we're hearing the "breaking news" and "leaks" about 3-4 days after real time. My guess is, Cowher is already hired.

3. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

I just lost it in my paints if this goes through.

4. JetD

JetD Member

His own front office man? Thats not gonna happen, i can see us moving away from Cowher by the end of today. Waiting for the interview with Spags. I would love to see Cowher here, with Tanny giving in a little bit, and just working with Bill to get things done the right way. Soooo, Woody ?, your the owner.....you can make it happen.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

is this your vehicle, 227? Because that was a pretty good depiction of what could happen...you might've solved the mystery *throws you a scooby snack* :)

FTR...i hope you're right.

[​IMG]

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Amazing how weak minded Woody Johnson is isn't it... If Tannenbaum has that much juice then no name coach is coming here ever. Oh well. Somehow I knew the Jets would find a way to fuck this moment up.

Why am I not surprised one bit... :mad:

7. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Right on the nose. Cowher doesn't give 2 shits about the cap, he just wants final say on who he gets.

Done, as far as I'm concerned.

8. Section 227. Row 5

But I LIKE Tannenbaum as our GM. It's hard to imagine anyone... even Cowher (or even Parcells, for that matter), being able to do a better job than Tannenbaum does. He's really excellent at being the GM.

So yeah, I still want Cowher here, but I think even Cowher is dreaming beyond his abilities if he thinks he could handle the HC job AND the GM position as well as having a good HC and having Tanny still in charge as GM.

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

They better negotiate this until they reach a compromise.

10. Cman68

As our head numbers cruncher, Tanns couldn't be topped. As GM? Compared to Badway, not a bad transition at all. But these days, "name" coaches want that type of control.

If Woody allows that to be a deal breaker for Cowher or any other SB winning/unemployed HC, then we're screwed yet again unless of course you don't mind breaking in yet another rookie HC in a very long line of rookie HC's of the NYJ's.

I'm done with the Jets being "finishing school" for coaching wannabes. Its time to start acting like we belong in the same NY/NJ market as the Giants. This is Joisey, not Boise.. :grin:

11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This franchise is crying out for some stability. If Tannenbaum goes as well as Mangini, then it's all change again. Tannenbaum has done a great job bringing in talent and managing the cap - doing all of that AND coaching a team is just too much for one man.

This isn't a team that needs a total rebuild, just a stronger hand on the tiller.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I don't think you're far from the truth at all.

Something else needs to be added though. The Jets can't announce they've hired Cowher yet. They have to interview a minority candidate first. I think we'll see the hire sometime in mid-February, even though Cowher and Tannenbaum are probably on the phone every day discussing direction for the club.

I seriously doubt Cowher would have a problem with Tannenbaum. Tanny has proven in the past that he just needs the HC to tell him who to get and he makes it happen. People seem to forget just how much of the personnel decisions were directly from Mangini, with Tanny simply doing the number crunching.

That makes it a perfect situation for Cowher. He gets whoever he wants, and the team can afford to bring in whoever his heart desires.

It's basically a win-win. Personally, I think anyone saying that the Jets with Tanny and Cowher don't mix is wishfully thinking and hoping it doesn't happen.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

one aspect that sticks out in my mind is...why haven't the coordinators been fired yet? Knowing that Schotty is still around gives me a queasy feeling.

14. Section 227. Row 5

We all remember Parcells insisting on having a hand in "shopping for the groceries." This was a stumbling block with Parcells until a comprimise was reached.

I'm sure a good argument can be made that Cowher wouldn't want ALL the responsibilities of GM and everything that goes along with it. That's the way it has to be presented to Cowher. "Surely you'd want to have enough time to concentrate on the HC job. Why would you want all that distraction?"

"Tell you what, Bill. You have an equal say in who we bring in, how's that? You can both help select players and you can also reject them too. That includes hiring and firing of coordinators and assistants."

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

They're keeping Schotty here as long as Favre is on the team, as they don't want Favre learning an entirely new system again.

16. Cman68

God, I hope you're right man...

17. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

From a business stand point, Cowher is a bigger ticket seller than Tanny. Woody would be crazy not to put Tanny in the back seat.

18. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The fact that Cowher is even having discussions with the Jets is a postitive sign in and of itself. Negotiation is an art, and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of this.

19. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

These are my exact thoughts.

20. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Nobody knows anything yet, but you're ready to condemn Woody for finding a way to f*ck it up? Why not at least wait to see who the Jets hire?