***Bill Cowher --- News Thread***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MBGreen, Dec 30, 2008.

1. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

It sounds like Cowher is interested...but he wants total control. Let's see if Woody has the grapefruits to either demote Tanny or fire him completely....otherwise Cowher could remain a pipe dream. I'm hoping Woody can convince Tanny to step into another role and hand the reigns to Cowher. Thoughts?

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Get it done!

Tanny is a great cap guy, and has brought us some nice talent, so I wouldn't mind keeping him on at a lesser role.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

If that's the only thing standing in the way...then we will enjoy having Coach Bill Cowher here!!!

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

man, i hope your right.

I'd love to see some "smash mouth football" next season...courtesy of the Chin.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I'm really worried about this, I like Mike T but if Cowher doesn't come here it will be because of him. Hopefully he puts the team in front of his ego.

6. pender30

pender30 Member

How does that negotiation work?

Tanny: "Bill, we'd love to bring you in."
    Cowher: "I'd love to come to NY as long as you step down."
    Tanny: "We're no longer interested."

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Make Tanny the official cap advisory guy, then follow suit with the rest.

8. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

"Woody" was quoted as saying that a Coach/GM role is too much for one person to handle so there may be a predicament on getting Cowher here. I do not think this is an immovable object, however. I think something can be worked out. It probably really comes down to Cowher would like to have full say on who plays on this team, who we draft, and who we get in the FA market. I don't have an issue with this. I think Cowher would still utilize his supporting cast to help him come to the right decisions.

9. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yeah, I think Woody is going to handle the negotiations with Cowher. Tanny is going to do whatever he can to NOT make it happen.

10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I think we could really get Cower. He works in NY, at the CBS studios(i think CBS), and his daughter goes to Princton.
    I think Woody(or i hope) told Tanny that if Cower wants total control, that Tanny is our new "cap guru", like Pioli is in N.E.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I think Woody would be making a huge mistake if he passes over Cowher in favour of Tanny....and one of the glaring reasons is that Cowher would put his own "football management" in place...meaning....we'd have qualifed coordinators. My best guess is that Cowher's first call would be to Butler (the Steeler's LB coach) for the DC coordinator position.

Oh man....don't fuck this up Tanny.

12. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

I see no problem and feel that if Woody wanted Cowher, it would get done and Tanny would go back to Cap guru with some input on personell..

Tanny just saved his ass - If you're Woody, Tanny gets the option to step back a little or LEAVE... Simple as that - this is not a road block AT ALL.

And IMO, Tanny and Woody had this mapped out in advance - I just don't see how you fire a coach so soon without a grand plan and I think the Cowher push is on while they go thru the motions with the Rooney rule and all....

If we get Cowher - ALL OF THIS WAS WORTH IT - ALL THE PAIN!!

13. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

i like what Tanny has done but we didn't make the playoffs when we should have. hire cowher! it needs to be done.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Precisely. Besides, if you read into the staements made by Woody yesterday and even the body language, you quickly realize Woody relies on Mike a great deal... almost as a crutch. He couldn't, for example, even handle the firing on his own without mentioning Mike Tannenbaum within seconds as a co-conspirator in the Mangini firing.

So no, Tannenbaum is going to retain his job. That would not only be because Mike wants it so, Woody wants it also. so that is the one stumbling block Cowher would have to concede to, and I mean 100%. It ain't gonna happen.

Of course, enough money might possibly make Cowher forget he ever heard about sharing a GM position.

15. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

It's pretty obvious Woody is all about the almighty dollar, and having Cowher and Favre will mean BIG bucks. It's going to happen.

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

great point, 227.....but i believe that the PSL sales trump Woody's love for Tanny. I think Tanny stays regardless of what happens...in some capacity. And i think bringing in a high profile coach like Cowher would be financially more beneficial to Woody...

you could be right though...Tanny could veto the Cowher hire and have Woody's support in doing so....but i'm SURE, the conversation will be had...and Woody will try to sell Tanny on the idea of taking another role on the team.

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I really think it will come down to, can they work out the playing field to Cowher's satisfaction as to what the full job description is with regard to drafting, player acquisition, salaries, and retention. I do not see this as an immovable object.

18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I seriously doubt that Tannenbaum should be going anywhere. hell at week 11 he was likely to be Executive of the year. Then the team collapsed, which he has no control over. I am also not sure if I want cowher at that price. Tannenbaum is a great gm, phenomenal drafter, great cap guy, and he's still young. Cowher would only be here at most 3 years before retirement beckons. I want a guy who can be here for a long time. Like a sapgnuola or a Rex Ryan

19. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I'll take 4 good years with Cowher. No problem.

20. Lunatic

Lunatic New Member

No Cowher per John Clayton on Mike and Mike.

Stated that Bill wants to bring his own front office man and the Jets aren't having it.

Hopefully something can be worked out but Clayton seemed pretty certain, the Jets have drawn a line in the sand with Tannenbaum.

I am really going to hate a fucking switch back to 4-3 with Spags and a wasted year next season...