Final Pennington vs Favre Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

at Miami
    NE
    Arizona
    Cicny
    at Oak
    KC
    at Buf
    Ten was equal O and D
    Buffalo
    Miami

The O had ONE game(at NE) where it won a game for us. The last month both O and D haven't been good but the D played well enough to win a few games(including yesterday) but Favre was pathetic.

I think this argument can be put to rest now. The difference in the 2 teams yesterday was as clear as could be.

2. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Yes, this thread is over. Case closed

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Yup. I'm not sure what else anyone needs to see after yesterday. It was plain as day for all of us to witness.

The End.

4. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

Is it childish to do this? Sure. Did I wait and let Chad do the talking for me damn right.
    I saw Chad Pennington play Baltimore today and play exdactly how he used to. I'm not comparing him to favre, for all intents and purposes Favre is gone who cares. I'm talking about the fact that Chad Pennington showed up today the same Chad Pennington.

Who failed?

5. melikon

melikon New Member

Whoa, Chad was looking a lot like Favre today, eh?

6. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The both suck.

/Close thread.

7. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Hahah... touche.... :lol: Ravens kicked his ass.

8. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

WHy the hell would you take away a win unless you're trying to bias an argument. Did he throw the TDs? Yes, so why the heck wouldn't you count them.

9. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

Take away his 18 INT he has 21 TD no INTs.

10. jigglebilly

jigglebilly New Member

Exactly, if you take away something, then you're just making the situation unfairly biased.

11. azpackjetfan

azpackjetfan New Member

Since we are arbitrariily taking away TD passes, can we also add at least four on drops in the endzone. Keller twice, Cotchery and Coles with one apiece?

12. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Seriously, I'm done responding to you. You're just a waste of time. You're simply not smart enough and I'm tired of trying to explain things to you. I am a statisitician. I know how to analyze data. Does the word anomaly mean anything to you? Didn't think so. Anyway I'm done. Go root for Favre or whatever arbitrary team you pick after he retires.

13. JetDynasty

JetDynasty Active Member

i dont want to argue about whose better and that shit...numbers dont lie

favre needs to go and we all know that (for those of us that want to keep him, youre retarded)

favre collapsed the last 5 games of the season...how many 20+ yard catches did you see us complete this year? other than the cotchery one in miami 1st week of the season and the freak catch by cotch against NE..again 5 game collapse..but kansas city went down to the wire, 0-4 west coast, come on favre didnt help us all that much...take away the arizona game and favres numbers were below average...his convincing wins were @ NE, @ Tennessee, and the cardinals game..PERIOD....clemens or ratliff should have seen playing time at the end of the season...favres career in new york is done..

14. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

If you're a statistician, then you should know that you remove the outliers from both extremes in any data set, not just the one that leads to results you want. You also account for mitigating and/or confounding factors.

Oh, sorry. Did I just get in the way of you calling someone else not smart enough? My bad.

15. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

Ouch! No, for real that hurt me.

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

That's not true. You take out outliers that are below Q1 – 1.5×IQR or above Q3 + 1.5×IQR (IQR=the interquartile range). Since Favre had many games where he had only 1 or 0 TDs, they would not be outliers (they are not below Q1-1.5iqr). However, his 6TD game against Arizona would absolutely an outlier (it is above Q3+1.5iqr). You should at least know what you are talking about before you call someone out. You only take away outliers when there actually is outliers to take away. Many data sets don't have any outliers, and some only have outliers from one extreme.

Note: i did not do the actual math here but i know that if there is an outlier, it would only be his 6TD game and that game alone

#196 Steve032, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  17. Fusion2006

Fusion2006 New Member

WHO CARES.

Result - BOTH suck!

Favre can win you big games but he didn't do it this year for whtaever reason.

Chad can be a game manager and can win you some games but sucks against a good defense that forces him to throw - that is why he has never gotten close nad never will get close to a Super Bowl.

Neither was the answer this year for us this year but I still stand by it was worth the risk.

18. Mr. Papagiorgio

Chad showed today exactly why we got rid of him. He was never going to win us a Super Bowl.

19. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

If you want to argue with a PhD statistician go for it. I might point out you should look up the definition of outlier before you use it. Understanding what it means just might prevent you from looking stupid. By the way, what you might be talking about is truncated data, but you can truncate on either or both ends.

#199 Long Time Jet Fan, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

The Dolphins loss today does not change that the Favre move was a complete disaster for the Jets nor that Pennington had a better year than Favre. Pennington's game today was about as bad as.......Favre's game last week against the Fins. Except Pennington faced one of the best defenses in the league today and Favre faced the Dolphins last week. And Pennington's interceptions were down field while Favre threw the ball right to defenders standing 5 feet away from him.

So let's end the discussion with this. Favre was horrible this year and was a major factor in the Jets not making the playoffs. He should retire and never should have been brought here. It added nothing to the team and cost the QBs on the roster a year of experience and in game development. Pennington had a much better year than Favre and is good enough to lead a mediocre or good team to the playoffs, but needs more than that to take a team further and will not carry a team on his back in the playoffs.

Now, can we move on and look to developing the next QB of the Jets.