Jets Mortgaged their future, Big Time

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BomberJet, Dec 25, 2008.

1. JetsLookingforDWare

He's a rookie learning a new position.

Oh wait thats called an excuse here...he's a terrible player who couldn't be saved because his coaches suck....so a really shitty blend.

#41 JetsLookingforDWare, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

Embarrassed never! I never pointed to it as a negative. I just wonder what a loss at that time might have on our playoffs. Not seeding or the team we would play. The post originator never really gets into mentioning the large expense we took out with all of these guys , but the thread title is what I'm talking about.
    If I make a direct statement in relation to that play then you can call me out!

I don't think you follow context very well.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I agree. how can he be a bust if he hasn't even really played yet. if after three season he never gets on the field significantly, that's a bust. after one year, come on.

was Phillip Rivers a bust because he didn't play his rookie year if what you do your first year is all that matters to define your entire career?

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Rush Limbaugh. Terrell Owens. The NFL rulebook. Puking during league play.

The guy would have a rough time in the NY market.

Read TGG and the New York papers, much?

Look at how many Jets fans bitched about Pennington's arm and look how many are bitching about Favre.
    The same thing will happen with McNabb. McNabb throws balls at the feet of his receivers all the time. He is maddening to watch. If you see McNabb at his best and you see highlights here and there, sure, he's good. I'm not saying he is a garbage QB. But watch him over the course of 16 games and he'll piss you off.

____

Note: the phrase "all the time" was an exaggeration.

#44 Cakes, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The last sentence you wrote could be swung back at you by me.

In my post earlier tonight I was responding to only a portion of your post. You essentially wrote that the Jets would have not been 12-4 and may have had a lower seed and would have possibly had a different course to take in postseason play. I only tried to convey that that would not have been the case. Many Jets fans, for whatever reason, believe that the Jets finished as high as the 2 seed, as opposed to the 3, because of the phantom TD against Seattle.

6. JetsLookingforDWare

McNabb is a good QB. Big picture. I really don't care if he's thrown passes at WR's feet, because he also doesn't throw the ball at WR's feet.

He's also learned one of the more complicated offenses in the league so...he's not exactly a dumbass either.

I don't like McNabb, but he's a good QB.

7. jets1960

jets1960 New Member

I feel badly but I tend to agree with you man. This team (FO) needs to take the situation of this franchise as serious as us fans. Until then ... "Same Ol' Jets"
    A new coaching staff may take yet another couple of REBUILDING ..... This is a road we,ve traveled time and time and time and time again.

In my opinion. Bring in a PROVEN WINNER as Head Coach and see what the hell happens. Look at what that bastard Tuna did for us.

8. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

Favre was a gamble and it turned out to be a bad one but Pennington certainly wasnt our future. So although Favre was a bad move it doesn't affect our future. What affects our future is that Mangini hasnt improved in the three years he's been here and if we bring in another regime we may be starting from scratch all over again. I am in the minority here but I would give him another year. Football is a strange game and things can turn around quickly. Plus I have always been a fan of having stability in the coaching position. I think it gives you an advantage to have a system in place and a coach who has ben picking players for that system for a long period of time. The players become comfortable with the sytem and the coach gets more comfortable in choosing the players that fit that system. Thats an advantage. It's tough to win when you change coaches avery two or three years.

9. JUNJOBX2199

JUNJOBX2199 New Member

I understand what you mean. I was using that as a way of saying you never know. meaning anyone you pick up is a 50 / 50 shot at being not what you were looking for. It was never my intention to actually discuss that.

10. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

I understand you like stability in the coaching ranks, I do as well. But what if the players do not respond to your "system" as a coach? Or know what the system is. These players look comfortable, just not while they are playing.

Favre was doing quite well until a few weeks ago. Then for some reason, the wheels fell off the bus. The reason we are where we are in the standings right now is not all because of Favre. I thought the move was good then and good now. Chad was done here. The younger QB's were not getting it done as well. Giving up practically nothing for Favre was a no-brainer.

Mangini has lost the confidence of the team. Time for him to move on.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Wer mortgaged our future if Favre doesn't come back next or of we don't get a decent QB. QB play has held us back this year, we don't need a star, theree will be QBs available and don't give up on the young guys we have. Remember how bad Chad looked a year ago? We have much more talent than a year ago and I'd like to see what KC can do behind this OL and this running game and I think Favre owes us and should come back. A year in the system, a year w/ the receivers, a full offseason and I think we'll see a much better Favre despite getting another year older.

12. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

"Mortgaged the future"? That just doesn't apply. Nothing we have done this season will hinder our efforts to do what we want in the future. We've not given up a host of draft picks, we've not saddled our cap with unmanageable numbers. The future is just as open as it was a year ago, only now we're better.

13. keypusher

keypusher Member

The funny thing is, what the Jets may have given up by getting Favre is not the future, but this year. Right now he is your weak link on offense.

14. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If we have so much more talent than a year ago what is your explanation for our D being worse than a year ago with an O that didn't control the clock and turned the ball over all the time?

15. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I think a lot of that has to do with poor management decisions.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

really shitty defensive coaching.

17. JoeWillie130

JoeWillie130 Well-Known Member

We can't be sure the team has lost confidence in Mangini. Look at Coughlin. He was badly outcoached two years in a row in 1st round playoff games to the point where players were openly admitting they were outcoached and unprepared. He was overdue to be fired and then they win a super bowl.

If we do want to make a change we would have to make sure we bring in a coach who can use the talent we have. I don't want to retool the roster and if theres one thing Mangini has done well it's stock the team with some good talent (minus the Gholston pick).

18. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Don't be fooled by some misleading #s, our D is alot better than a year ago. A year ago our O stunk and opponents played conservative against our D, this year our D carried us most of the year but when they ran out of gas we collapsed.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

This team won exactly zero games where we scored less than 20 points.

One win with 20, One win with 26, One with 28, 5 with over 30 and a couple of those we scored over 40.

I do like the idea that your blaming our D being worse than last years on fatigue since we have increased our TOP to over 31 minutes a game from just over 29 per game a year ago.

We have better personal but the team D has not been better. The other amazing stat is with the addition of Faneca and Woody and DBrick playing better, our runs per game is down from a year ago.

I don't disagree that we have much better personal and that Favre has been miserable down the stretch of this season. I'm not convinced this staff could do better with a loaded team on both sides of the ball and better QB play.

06 is looking more and more like a fluke to me. I just don't see the discipline and effort on both sides of the ball even with much less talent.

20. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

The Jets have one of the worst defenses in the league. They're at the bottom in regards to forcing 3 and outs and also near the bottom in terms of getting stops on 3rd downs.

To say they've carried the team this season is beyond ludicrous and absurd.