What's so special about Bill Cowher?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsLookingforDWare, Dec 25, 2008.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You stand next to Leon Washington often?

Weight is the more important factor, and Washington is only 7 pounds lighter with a shorter frame. So technically he has a more stocky frame than Parker. Washington can run up the middle just fine. He has had success doing so when given the opportunity, it just doesn't happen often. Cowhers teams have always been successful running the ball, so why does it matter how they accomplish that?

I could not disagree with you more.

#61 WhiteShoeWillis, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

If the Jets can get Bill Cowher to come here then they have to do it.

3. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

I'm still on the fence regarding whether or not we should keep Mangini. He's a talented young guy but there are some chinks in his armor that are raising concerns for me. Firstly, he appears to be quite slow and/or unwilling to make adjustments whether this is with respect to play calling, game planning or making the best use of his available personnel. As the season has progressed, I find myself questioning his overall decision making more an more.

Secondly, I am worried that he has "lost" or is losing the confidence of his players, a significant number of who are not playing with the same focus, energy and motivation they did earlier in the year. While injuries may account for some of the drop off in quality play, there is also plenty of evidence that too many of our team members don't seen to playing with the same intensity they did earlier in the year.

This brings me to Cowher and the differences between him and Mangini are profound when one really recognizes BC's keys to success over his 15 year career in Pittsburgh and contrast them to Mangini's apparent weaknesses outlined above.

Cowher's greatest strengths as a head coach happen to be Mangini's most glaring weaknesses. He's a great motivator and is better at making adjustments (whether it be play calling, player personnel, etc) than any head coach in the NFL with the possible exception of BB. While he does prefer to base his offense around a strong running game, he has proven on countless occasions his willingness and capability of focusing more on the passing game if a.) its what works best on that day (or season) or b.) due to injuries to his backs. Cowher has had run intensive offenses and he has had pass intensive offenses. He's won with run very conservative game plans and he's successfully executed extremely daring and risky game plans.

The Rooney's have historically been unwilling to pay top dollar to keep their top players (with a few exceptions of course). Over the course of his 15 year career as the Steeler HC, Cowher lost key players on both sides of the ball almost every year (players of the caliber of Bettis, Porter, Burress and Faneca to name just a few) and yet he somehow always managed to make the proper adjustments through the draft and good coaching to deliver teams that consistently perform at a high level on both offense and defense. He did this for 15 years.

His players always seem to love and respect him and his leadership ability as a coach is unquestioned which cannot be said about Mangini.

I would not necessarily be so quick to give up on our current HC but if the opportunity arose to sign Cowher, I would take it in an instant because I believe him to be one of the best of all time. I hated the guy while he was coaching but he was (and should still be) a master at getting the most out of his players. With Woody, he would have an owner to spend the dollars that the Rooney's were reluctant to part with.

Cowher is exceptional at recognizing talent and using it to its maximum advantage. And to whoever it was who suggested that he wouldn't know what to do with a player like Leon, you sir, with all due respect, are a dope. I submit his "successful" use of Merwelde Moore this year (a slightly less talented but similarly underrated version of Leon) as an example to refute your silly point.

4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

if being slow to make adjustments, game plan or use personnel appropriately are all indicators of talent, I'd hate to see what criteria you judge bad coaches by -- whether they can find their way to the stadium on a day to day basis and not have to ask for directions everytime?

5. Altoona

I'm afraid you misunderstood the point I was trying to make. I said he was talented "BUT" that there were chinks in his armor which I identified as him being slow to make adjustments at times and use his personnel to the maximum advantage. My use of the word "but" means that that he is talented not "because" of the shortcomings I cited but "despite" them.

I hope this clarifies things.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Very good post, but Cowher hasn't coached the Steelers for 2 years.

7. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I understood. my position was that those chinks in his armor reveal his lack of talent at pretty significant aspects of coaching.

8. Altoona

I knew that. My bad for using the Mewelde Moore example which would suggest I didn't.

Regardless of my mindless mistakes, if I had the power to appoint Cowher as our HC, I don't believe that would ever count as one of them..:beer:

9. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

Its about time somebody brings this up...Cowher is our savior..HORSES**T..

Mangini and Mike should both be given an extension.This f**king win now or change it all up is not how yu build a successful team..Can we all exercise a little patience..its f**kin pitiful.

10. Altoona

Gotcha. I stand corrected.

11. OhioJetsFan

OhioJetsFan Member

This fan base wouldn't be patient enough to give Cowher nearly 15 years to win his first Super Bowl.

Next.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Leon's runs up the middle best with draws and traps. Cowher likes to use gut and iso plays with the "three yards and a cloud of dust" (read: antiquated) philosophy and he tried to force Parker into that role. Draws and off-tackle runs were rare when Cowher was running the Steelers. Look at how bad Parker has been beat up this season. You don't think that has anything to do with what Cowher did to him? If Leon is smart he wouldn't take that abuse and wouldn't sign an extension with Cowher coaching this team.

OJF FTW!!!

13. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

The big deal is that he's not Mangina.

14. week17magic

week17magic New Member

Getting Bill Cowher? Who are we? The Knicks?