Wish we still had Herm

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Dec 22, 2008.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Curtis '04 was at his peak, that season was very similar to Jones' year this year.

Anderson and Sowell weren't close to Leon & Keller. Those guys had alot of recs but alot of short recs, Leon is a playmaker and Keller has also produced big plays down the field.

'04 was a talented team and if not for our K missing 2 makeable Fgs we make the title game. Remember, as good as Chad is when he is healthy he was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff most of that year.

2. JetsLookingforDWare

Wish we still had Herm.

Holy crap this place is imploding is right. It's scary how easy is it to break this fan base lol. Now I can see why Jets fans are kind of seen as a joke amongst other fans.

Not that this kind of stuff doesn't happen to other teams, but...Herm fuckin Edwards? For serious? I don't even think Herm was *that* bad of a coach and I wouldn't take him for this team again. Ever.

#62 JetsLookingforDWare, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Hell just froze over...cause you and I finally agree on something :)

Herm is not the answer.

4. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

I can agree with that as well....

5. rillo

rillo New Member

Hell no...

6. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

At least Herm's teams didn't quit the way this team has.

I wouldn't want to see him back either, but Mangini actually makes Herm's tenure look good!

They're both clueless, Herm was too conservative all the time - Mangini gets conservative when he should be agressive and stupidly agressive when conservative is fine. But the players did play for Herm and are still playing for Herm even in KC. They're in every game seemingly, for as bad as they've been.

#66 NYJFan10, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  7. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I don't want Herm back, at all.

But is he any worse than Mangini? I'm not sure anymore. They might be about equal, and at least with Herm you knew the team wouldn't quit, and I'm not sure you can say that with Mangini anymore.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

herm edwards? herm fucking edwards? are you really serious?

wow, now i have seen everything. someone wants that tool back, holy shit i never would have thought that anyone would be that non thinking, yes i am calling you non thinking because you are not using at least a portion of your brain. herm edwards, really think about it... herm edwards!

nyjunc, i knew you were going to be all over this post. there must be some kind of connection between you and spermy, has to be. although i rarely notice you around here since herm left you always seem to pop up prominently in any thread having to do with that tool. are you dating his daughter? is he your half brother? did your parents know his parents? childhood friends? went to kindergarten together? there has to be something to the absurdity that you still continue to make excuses and tell everyone how wonderful the sperm is. and are now even defending him and his implosion of the kansas city chiefs.

oh and please dont blame peterson, he seemed to do pretty well the 20 years before herm got there. as a matter of fact i think i went through all the terrible teams he put together prior to the sperminator showing up and doing his thing.

9. nyjunc

You rarely notice me? I didn't know you still posted here but I'm here every day.

Peterson did well the previous 20 years? Is that why KC hasn't won a playoff game since Joe Montana was their QB?

He inherited a team that had missed the postseason 2 straight years and he inherited a less talented team than the teams that had missed the playoffs those 2 previous years and he guided them to the postseason. The team was then dismantled in a youth movement and while they only have 2 wins they are battling every week and developing a young QB. This Chiefs team will be around a .500 team next year, they are developing nicely and regardless what happens in KC Herm did a good job for US and that's all I care about. Did we ever lose 3 of 4 in December to choke our way out of a playoff spot? Did we ever have a 4-12 season w/ a relatively healthy team like we did last year? NO. The man was a good coach and some are beginning to realize that we had it better uner him just like some have begun to realize we had a better QB before the Favre trade.

10. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Leon is a great weapon agreed but Keller who looks like a guy who will be very good has dissapeared since teams have stopped covering the sidelines on us. Leon unfortunately doesn't get enough touches in the O.

I don't agree Curtis's 04 year was similiar to Jones this year. Jones's gets big runs when we pass first. In 04 we matched up against the 8 man box with Becht doing a great job at sealing the edge and ran the ball. We were a running team and never got away from it like this team does. Don't forget Lamont Jordan also had a very good year in 04 as a change of pace back, he averaged over 5 per and had close to 500 yards. Curtis also cought a lot of balls that year. We were much more in the mold of the teams we saw Sunday night between Carolina and the Giants.

Our 04 team was run a lot like the Dolphins are now. Power running a good stout D and safe passes with a ton of check down routes along with a speed WR who could get down the field.

The 04 team also had a very good punt returner in Moss who broke one against Pittsburgh in the playoffs to keep us in that game much like Leon does for us now.

I just don't see this team as even comparable on either side of the ball. Amazingly during the stretch we were comparing this team to the 98 team which would have wiped the floor with this team.

Paul Hackett who every one hated ran a very safe very sound O designed around the run, play action and lots of check down routes. He was very comfortable controlling the clock and not turning the ball over and taking field position. This coaching philosophy which I can't get a handle on seems like they are trying to set up particular plays to score off of rather than either aggresively attacking or methodically marching.

#70 winstonbiggs, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  11. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Shoot yourself in the head, when you're done, do it again....

12. nyjunc

Don't forget though that Chad played w/ a torn rotator cuff for nearly half the season and we lost our only pass rusher down the stretch and in postseason. Moss was also dinged up and the guy everyone hated on here, Justin McCareins, was our other starter. That '04 team was very talented but I think this team is even more talented when you factor in everything.

Curtis & lamont's production dropped after Chad got hurt b/c D's knew the passing game was affected and lamont was a mop up player for most of the year. I think if we had a healthy Chad, a healthy Abe then maybe the '04 team gets the nod talent wise.

13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I don't disagree about the talent level on this team although I thought that teams OL was much better at power running the ball. Mawae could still get out and pull, McKenzie while not a great pass protector was a devestating run blocker and Becht was an animal at making the seal block on the edge. The D that year played really well, Vilma behind Ferg and DRob was at his peak. DRob probably had his one really good season that year.

We also went 2 and 1 with Quincy that year because the supporting cast was very good. Agreed the Chad injury was a killer we probably win the Pitt game if Chad could push their front 7 back even with the missed FG.

Hard to argue the talent, I personally just thought that team played a tougher brand of football on both sides of the line and played much more consistent on both sides of the line than this team does. The results on D were certainly better.