The Jets is not a good place for Cowher and here is why...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Carpetbagger, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

Bill Cowher is a fantastic football coach. His players want to play for him, he motivates his players to play smash mouth, tough football and he works well with his assistants.

However, Cowher would not fit well with the Jets. Cowher had several seasons, including his last, where the team did not reach expectations and the team lacked consistency from year to year. This would not suffice the media and fans in New York. The New York media and fans expect their team to win the championship every year and anything short of this is unacceptable in some manner.

In reality, these expectations are too high and unrealistic. We fans need to change and understand the nature of football, that 10-6 or 9-7 after 4-12 is pretty good results.

There is little doubt that the coaching staff needs to be changed, but I don't buy it that Mangini should be fired and replaced with Cowher. If we are looking for a coach that will supply us with year-by-year consistency, then Cowher is not our guy.

Keep Mangini one more year, with a new DC and OC and see what happens.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Cowher has one of the most consistently good coaching records in the history of the game. WTF?

11-5
    9-7
    12-4
    11-5
    10-6
    11-5
    7-9
    6-10
    9-7
    13-3
    10-5-1
    6-10
    15-1
    11-5
    8-8

Sign me up for that type of inconsistency immediately.

3. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Sorry Carpet...I'm with BB on this one. Not only is Cowher consistent...he'll teach the team to slap the taste out of their opponents' mouth.

4. HOI

HOI Active Member

I think Mangina def. gets an extension. I think he should go but Woody...well has a woody for this guy. They'll spin it that he took them from 4-12 to 10-6 or the more likely 9-7 and they doubled their win total from last year....blah, blah. Mangina stays....more pain to come.

In closing...is it just me or are you guys getting the feeling the team is quitting on him? I dont think they're buying the bullshit anymore.

5. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

My sentiments, exactly.

6. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

3 years with the team ..but overall losing record ..i believe he is 23-24 (Mangini).

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I think you have to look at who we lost to and by the methods that caused our losses to paint the full picture.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Can't do that and I have said why in another thread. No owner lets a coach become a lame duck unless it is somebody like Holmgren who is retiring. That means that Johnson MUST give Mangini an extension if he is going to be the coach next year (it's his last year in '09). Do you really think for a fuckin second that is going to happen? Do you think Johnson will send that message to the fans that he don't give a shit while he is trying to still sell 50,000 PSLs?

#8 Don, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  9. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Jets: 2003: 6-10, 2005: 4-12, 2007: 4-12

Pretty sure I would not mind Cowher.

10. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

I want the next coach to be a 3-4 guy cuz I don't want to see another season wasted redoing the defensive roster. I also don't want the next coach to be a Pats assistant, if they do that again I will lose hope that this team can ever be good. So hiring Cowher seems like the best realistic probability.

11. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If Mangini was going to get an extension, why didn't it happen after the Titans game?

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I disagree with bringing in another 3-4 coach per se.

What I want is a coach who will get the most out of the players they have. If whatever coach we bring in doesn't have "the right personnel" for whatever system they decide to implement, then chances are we are stuck with another poor coach.

EDIT: Keep in mind too that we can easily bump Barton off the roster in favor of Mosley if a coach wanted to go to a 4-3.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

then you do want a coach for the 3-4, because a philosophy switch takes time.

For a coach to get the most out of this highly talented team, they should stay exactly the same, except for the leaders with the play charts.

#13 NDmick, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  14. Irv

Irv Member

Sounds similar to the second and third chances that the front office gave the Herminator. No thanks. Get it over with and kill the root now.

15. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Yeah cowher's pretty damn consistant more consistant then Mangina is. Sign me up for Cowher aswell.

16. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

[​IMG]

Sign me up if no Cowher.

17. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

Plus they won't have to pay to relocate him !

18. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

If you don't want Cowher, then you're just like management. Good enough to keep us interested, mediocore enough not to win the big games. I, for one, am sick of hiring unproven head coaches. If you're a fan of this team, why not Bill Cowher? Why not Brian Billick?? I've only been a fan since '82 and am sick of the culture that surrounds this franchise. The games we reminisce about are the games we lost. The games we lost. Hopefully, down the road, we can reminisce about the games we WON. And it';s going to take a Cowher or a Billick to get it done. If they want to keep going down the same road, then Spagnoula (sp) would be perfect, but being he would cost a lot anyway, just go big, huh?

19. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

^Dude I said IF Cowher declines then I would want Spags...

Billick would get eaten alive, screw them.

20. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

ahh, my little rant wasn't directed at anyone, just frustrated this franchise always seems to think small time. As much as I hate his arrogance, why do you think Billick's a bad fit? I know he had a great defense, but that sub par offense usually seemed to find a way to score more points than the other team. He seems like a more than decent option to me, although I would prefer Cowher big time.