Final Pennington vs Favre Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Long Time Jet Fan, Dec 21, 2008.

1. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

I think there's been a lot more expectation on Favres shoulders than Chads. Chad also has the incentive to prove the Jets made a mistake, deadly combination. You could make the argument Brett feels the same about the Pack, but Brett IMO had come to the conclusion he had done everything you could want to do as an NFL QB and that takes away some edge. Everything had to fall just right for the Dolphins in order for Chad to play the way he's played this year. I think Chad has played well because Miami has over simplified their offense. We're simply lucky this year, where last year we couldn't buy the luck if a guy were standing on the corner selling it for a nickel.

#41 feelthepain, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

So why the hell would you trade for one and defend the move as you have all season? Admit it. You thought this team could make the playoffs with Favre. Otherwise there was no point in making the trade.

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I don't think it is Mangini telling Brett, throw into double coverage, or if a play is breaking down, throw it across your body across the field into double coverage.

4. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

They didn't bring Favre in to finish third, that is for sure.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Because getting rid of Pennington will force this team to eventually develop a QB. Favre is a stop gap in NY, Pennington wouldn't have taken this team anywhere and might well have held us back from developing a QB next year?

This management gave up on developing a QB and on Pennington being the man when they decided to have a competition. When they actually got the players in FA they thought they had a solid team and just needed to plug in a QB. They were wrong about the team, the guys managing the team and plugging in a ready to win QB didn't work. That doesn't mean it set us back 10 minutes. Did we draft Cutler, did we try and move up to get Ryan, did we try and develop Clemens to take over. The answer to all those questions is no and yet they still didn't believe in Pennington to give him the job at any point before the season. I defend it because they either had to suceed or move on. I have been begging for them to draft a top QB for years and they keep passing. We had an exciting season that looks to have ended with the team quiting. Time to move on which is no different than if we hadn't gotten Favre.

We need a new plan, staff and QB and Pennington is not the guy to build it around any more than Favre is.

6. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

I kinda agree with what you're saying, but that all depends how you define luck. It's not luck when you consistently win games, as we've been doing. That's all on the coaching staff and Chad. You have a QB with football IQ who doesn't turn it over and a coaching staff who has them play when we basically win the turnover battle every single game, it's no longer luck.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Bwahaha

:rofl:...............................
    See stats on pg. 1 !!!!!!!

INDEFENSIBLE!!!
    Which is exactly what Chad brings to the table.. That Wins Games!

8. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Chad will have his retribution on Sunday. Go Fins!

9. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I will never root for another team. I hope Brett shreds them.

Sadly, you may be right though.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I'm not so much rooting for Miami as I am for Mangini getting fired AND New England missing the playoffs.

I honestly hate New England AND Eric Mangini that much.

11. winstonbiggs

That's almost reasonable. If it takes a loss to Chad and the Dolphins to get Cowher and knock Bellicheck out so be it.

12. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

This post makes no sense. You used to be so rational, but the years have apparently taken their toll. Funny, how I used to agree with almost everything you posted. You talk about Jets managment like you disagreed. You didn't. If you had you wouldn't have been for the deal. The argument that Pennington was going to prevent the search for a franchise QB doesn't hold water. If the Jets had thought he was the answer they wouldn't have benched him for Clemens in the first place. The only reason they opened a competition was because Clemens looked like crap. But if the Jets had thought Pennington was going to be the answer they wouldn't have let him go for nothing. And given the way they obviously felt about him, they wouldn't have let him stand in the way of them finding a franchise QB.

The one thing I agree with is your take on the franchise QB. I would have taken Culter and if you go back and search all the draft pick threads you will find I was one of the few that wanted Matt Ryan.

13. YankeeRacers

YankeeRacers Member

What a difference a day makes? All this love for Chad Pennington is sweet. That or it's just pathetic. Jets fans cheered when Chad Pennington went down in the first game last year (Right I get it, it wasnt you). He couldn't beat Kellen Clemens in training camp (let me guess the coaching staff is horrible at evaluating talent). The media even didn't know what the Jets would do at QB because of the ineptness at the position. Pardon me for not drinking this Kool-Aid. I watched Chad Pennington throw ducks, not win big games, and not make plays when it counted. I also saw posts lamenting this poor play, calling for his head. I heard announcers and analysts rip Pennington for not having an arm, ALL LAST SEASON! So forgive me if I don't cry a river that Pennington is gone. I'll just stop yelling at this bandwagon the noise of all the people piling on it are drowning me out.

14. winstonbiggs

I would have been fine with Management giving the ball to Clemens and trading Chad in the off season that's what I wanted them to do. Since they didn't I was delighted with a guaranteed 1 year deal and move on. Getting Favre gave me a little hope that maybe he could get lightning in a bottle he didn't, he's gone no big deal. If we go 10 and 6 with Pennington and don't make the playoffs we are stuck with him for years. I want to move on with Pennington here we can't move on. On top of that getting Favre was fun, it helped make the off season which this year has been better than most seasons.

15. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

It's just unfortunate that he was a Dozen or so Interceptions short of getting a deserving Pro Bowl bid.

16. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

I think Miami has earned every win, but the things that went agaisnt us last year are going our way this year. Every season has it's share of luck, be it good or bad. For Miami to do everything they're doing off a 1-15 season, good luck is most definatley shinning on us.

17. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

You know, I've always disliked Favre - always. When the Jets traded for him he immediately became my most disliked player in the league. I streamed the Jets game today and saw a broken man. Favre looked to be a shell of who he once was. He played like hot garbage.

I see Pennington play every Sunday and he impressed me more today than at any game I've watched. I'm wondering how the Jets let this guy go? How was he fighting for a starting spot on that roster? Why did they not field trade offers? And if they did why didn't anyone make a play for him? How did we get this guy for nothing?

Junc has been saying since our streak that without Pennington we'd be a 4 win team. I don't know how much I believe that, but I believe now more than ever that this season he's been the most important piece of the puzzle. I stopped just short of walking up to the T.V and kissing him on the post game report.

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

LMAO, This post is what's pathetic.
    Anyone who says "JETS FANS CHEERED WHEN PENNY WENT DOWN" Has NO IDEA what happened.
    -I was at the game and the Media totally misreported what actually happened but hey, it was in the papers so it has to be true right? FAIL #1
    -He couldn't beat KC in TC??? No one was named as he was coming off an injury. Fail#2
    -"The Media......" Fail#3
    -You never saw Chad Win a Playoff game in SD? or Win the Clincher vs GB? or Demolish Indy? Nah no Big games right? Fail#4
    -Poor play?Calling for his head? Yup. Most who didn't see that our O-Line was Horrific and Shotty calling 6-7 5 yd outs in a row has nothing to do with it...Fail#5
    -You heard announcers? Seriously. You're going with that?
    The Idiots from ESPN? and the rest of them? Fail#6

Just fail all over.

19. JHTJ

JHTJ New Member

I disagree, good coaching is what's going our way. Last season we were plauged by 4th quarter collapses, injuries, bad penalties, and drops. The team played with no heart, no fire. Everything is different, and it all stems from coaching. From the top down, this is a completely different team.

It's amazing actually.

20. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

We're one week from the true and final verdict, but all signs are pointing to Chad > Favre for 2008. Sad but true, more Jet karma.