Oh, how I wish I was wrong

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Dec 21, 2008.

1. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Following the Favre trade, I was among a handful of posters to say that I thought it was a mistake. I could not fathom why a team coming off a 4-12 season thought they could ride a 39 year old QB to the Super Bowl. The biggest issue for me was that if we didn't win it all, it was a wasted season. For the most part the responses I got were, "sucks to be you" and "just enjoy the ride". Well, I rode the ride and it sucked. I would have rather gone 7-9 with one of the young QBs than 9-7 or 10-6 with Favre....because now we have to start over next season.

So am I here to gloat? No, I am here to express regret that I was right. I wanted as bad as anyone here to have seen the Same Old Jets buried once and for all. The problem is, usually champions are built over time, not in a single season. This is a team that is rebuilding....not a win now team. And it will be at least another year and another season before the journey can begin again (I know we still have a chance to get into the post-season....but it doesn't really matter at this point).

I am just not sure what to do. I know everyone wants Mangini's head, but I don't know if starting over is the answer. Clearly the playcalling, especially on defense, has been poor. Sutton is gone. On offense, while I don't think Shotty hase been great, I think he is still missing some weapons. This team needs a true number 1 receiver (not to mention a QB who can get him the ball).

The problem is everyone is to blame: the head coach, the coordinators, and the players. Seven Jets made the Pro Bowl and most of them have come up small in the home stretch. That is bad coaching and poor effort on the part of the players.

Another year....another sad chapter in the story of the Jets.

DbJ

2. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I couldn't have said it any better, this year I watched with great interest but refused to let myself get emotionally battered. The thing is that I think the coaching staff has lost the locker room, I predicted the loss(though I didn't want it) against Seattle, and although I don want this either, the dagger has been placed in their hearts,Miami will beat us also next week, their collective body language says it all........ We're done, it's over

3. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Mangini deserves blame but not to an extent that he should be fired. Mangini working with Tannenbaum have rebuilt the team. They still have some holes to plug in the draft and some cheap signings but they have built a team that can compete year in and year out now. I think both coordinators need to be fired and veteran coordinators need to be put under Mangini. I never understood why with a rookie head coach Mangini was able to hire first time offensive coordinator and Sutton who still seems to me to be a puppet running the Belicheck/Mangini defense.

4. onefanjet

But he problem is still, Mangini selected these coordinators, and has even kept them, and even defends play calling,Respectfully I don't know if I can agree with your logic....

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

onefanjet your avatar is sweet.

I wish DBJ was wrong too.

6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Offensive line looks pretty good for next year, same with the running game. Favre is probably gone, so we will have to start over there. Thank God Mangini will be gone. I think our d line is imporved, but our lb's blow. I even think Rhodes blows. He needs to step up. He doesn't close fast enough and he never really drills anyone. I think he is a great stand up Jet, but he's no ed reed or polamalu on the field. We need better safties. Coles looks old to me too.

7. onefanjet

Thanx, He's an American classic.... Say... MAYBE CLINT COULD BE THE NEXT COACH!!!!!!!!!!:metal::):smile::rofl:

8. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I'd like to think that at least watching Favre's preperation has rubbed off to some effect on Clemens or Ratliff.

9. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Time to make room for another gravestone in that sig of yours, DBJ.

10. jetsaholic1094

I really hate to derail the thread's topic, but I just can't watch Clint Eastwood anymore. Not that his movies are bad these days (actually far from it), but it's just sad seeing how old he has become. I mean, I wish I'd age as well as he did...but old still looks old.

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What goes in it though? The Seahawks game? Maybe the West Coast 0-4?

The 42-0 Beatdown Chad will give the Jets next week?

12. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Bottom line... Mangini is a loser, and he brings a loser mentality to the Jets.

Favre or not, it doesn't matter. Mangini must go.

13. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I will admit I was the one to call out the Brett trade as well in Week 3 after the Charger debacle. I was flamed pretty bad for that one. I just did not see anything in the Charger game to say here we were in week three and the offense is way off, Favre will not pick up the offense in time, was throwing terrible interceptions and the Jets were 1-2.

I was told the easy part of the schedule was coming and it would get better. Then came that great 5 game run. The team looked GREAT. Running the ball with authority, they did not have to rely on Brett as much.

But when things got tough, and they did need him, old habits came up again.

This is not entirely on Brett's shoulders. The team just fell apart the last four weeks, getting one lucky win. Not making the playoffs make this move a failure, unless they find a way to make it happen next week.

I too believed this team would be more ready next year, and perhaps it will, but whoever is under center, it will be another learning process. Unless Brett comes back, which I would guess no at this point.

People continue to blame the coaches for Brett's failures... but when one player has over 20 turnovers, you can't say that is all coaching.

14. DeathByJets

There is no signature moment for this season. I just think expectations got too high after the Tennessee game. Maybe next week will provide a moments etched forever in SOJ lore.

15. jetsaholic1094

I'd put down...

Week 12: 8-3, Division Leaders.
    Week 17: Eliminated from playoff contention.

...probably would need a wide-ass gravestone though. Maybe just GJC (Great Jets Collapse) for short.

16. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

He lost the locker room LAST YEAR with the mishandling of the kendall situation,and his crappy treatment of Vilma. He dug a deeper hole and further lost it THIS year by screwing with chad.

He fucked with three captains of the team and it reverberated with the rest of the lockerroom.

Sure, a lot of people ripped on kendall for the way he reacted, but he knew what a putz mangina was and didnt stand for it.

take a look at how the team plays for him and it doesnt take a genius to figure it out. Sure they played a couple of good games against NE and Tenn, but the whole body of evidence is damning.

17. DeathByJets

While I'm sure it feels worse now, I am pretty sure 2000 was worse and was really the GJC. The 3 straight losses to end the season, including a home loss to the Lions and do-or-die defeat in Baltimore on Christmas Eve was about as bad as it gets. This team was never as good as their record was after the Tennessee game.

18. jetsaholic1094

I actually noted in another thread that this felt a lot like '00, but for me, this one hurts more. It just seemed like we put all the eggs in one basket (with Favre and all the other acquisitions), and for a second, it looked like it'd actually work. I think the crash of '08 was a bigger drop than the crash of '00, in terms of where our aspirations were and where we ended up.

Oh, and between the two of us, we got a pretty morbid set of avatars.

19. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Reminds me of 1986

20. DeathByJets

With this franchise, morbid is the only way to go....we are the only two sane ones here. :wink: