***The Official 2008 Playoff Scenario Thread***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snappy, Dec 16, 2008.

1. GreenMachine

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Very true. But I was talking about the KC-Miami game being meaningless IN TERMS OF the Jets making the playoffs When I was saying that the KC-Miami game was meaningless to us, I was saying that because it has no impact on whether we qualify for the playoffs or not. (I can't speak for anyone else, however, I'm fairly certain that's what everyone else was saying as well) Although, you are correct to point that it technically isn't "meaningless" to us because it could determine if we win the division or not if the particular scenario you outlined plays itself out.

(I'd say there is NO WAY the Ravens lose at home to the Jaguars in week 17 with the playoffs on the line. But that's why they play the games . . . )

3. slimjasi

Very true.

Clearly though, everyone is talking about the KC-Miami game being meaningless IN TERMS OF the Jets qualifying for the playoffs.

4. 624

624 Banned

good points...i hope mangini has balls this game

5. slimjasi

Because the Jets control their own destiny and I fully expect them to take the division title and the 3 seed by beating both the Seahawks and Dolphins, I have to admit that I think I will be rooting for the Ravens on Saturday night. I know, I know . . . I should be rooting for the Ravens in case the Jets blow the dolphins game at home in week 17. But I just don't see us losing that game. I'm sorry. (The seattle game scares me a lot more but the reality is, I expect a big Jet performance this coming Sunday. The team will here about how they can't win the on the West coast and how they are playing terribly and they will walk into Seattle and beat the Seahawks.) And there are two very strong reasons I want to root for the Ravens on Saturday night:

1) I HATE the cowboys. (Behind the Pats, Dolphins, and Broncos, they are probably the next franchise on my MOST HATED list) Few things would make me happier than seeing the Cowboys miss the playoffs, especially after all the of hype they got coming into the season. (And all of the hype that they continue to get)

2) But as much as I hate the cowboys . . . I HATE the Pats infinitely more. And guess what? If the Ravens find a way to beat the Cowboys in Dallas on Saturday night (something I sort of doubt but would not entirely rule out), the Pats are FUCKED. If the Ravens win in Dallas on Saturday night, the Pats ARE NOT making the playoffs. Why? Because even if they win out (something that is not as automatic as a lot of people in the media seem to think), as long as the Ravens beat the Jags at home the last week of the season and Jets take care of their business, they will lose the tiebreaker to the Ravens and will be DONE. This is just too promising to pass up. Let's go Ravens!

Btw, I really dislike the Ravens, as well. However, I just don't detest them anywhere near as much as I detest both the Cowboys and Patriots. I may live to regret it (the Jets better fucking win these next two games) but I will be rooting for the Ravens on Saturday night.

#105 slimjasi, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  6. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

I was thinking about this, as well. Believe me, I could not be more thrilled with the idea of the pats missing the playoffs despite compiling an 11-5 record. The idea that beli-cheat and crew could have the last possible draft pick without making the playoffs is great. Plus, I think we match up a lot better in a potential playoff game against baltimore than against new england. That being said, I wouldn't want to take any chances with not making the playoffs and I feel like the more scenarios that open up for us to make it, the better. So I don't know if I could tolerate rooting for baltimore this week.

7. slimjasi

Yeah, I totally hear where you are coming from. And I partially feel like an asshole for thinking the way I'm thinking. But I can't help it. My irrational hatred for the Patriots (and Dolphins - I am in love with the idea of sendthing them home the last week of the season) makes it too hard for me not to root for Baltimore.

8. BookEndTackles 72&79

OK, I did some research on this and stay with me because it gets quite lengthy.

Currently, the Jets hold the SOV tiebreaker over the Ravens due to the Jets having a winning % against teams they have defeated of .444 (56-69-1) vs. the Ravens winning % of .383 (46-73-3). Assuming the Ravens lose to the Cowboys they CAN NOT improve their SOV winning % this week because the teams they have defeated are all playing each other so obviously one will have to win or lose. They have defeated Houston and Oakland who play this weekend. Cincy and Cleveland twice each who play this weekend. Philly and Wash who play this weekend. Their ninth win is against Miami so if the Fish win that also improves our percentage by an equal amount since the Jets have also beat Miami.

Ironically, the Jets winning % will go down with a win against Seattle so in a tie breaker scenario at the end of the year against the Ravens it actually hurts the Jets. However, the Jets can improve their SOV % with wins by KC, Buf, STL and Tenn which are all teams we have defeated. A Cincy win helps us because we beat the Bengals and that win would be against the Browns and won't help the Ravens SOV %. Obviously, the more of those teams that win the better off the Jets are.

I didn't run any scenarios for Week 17 but the Ravens play the Jaguars which would be a "weaker" win vs. the Jets win over the Dolphins so we are in good shape here and would win the SOV% tiebreaker vs. Baltimore.

So bottom line is: Ravens lose to the Cowboys and the Jets still control their own destiny for the playoffs even with a loss to Seattle. It would only effect their seeding and not whether they get in or not.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

who owns the pats-fish tie breaker?

just curious who owns the tie breaker between the pats and fish.

assuming the fish will lose to us and the pats lose one of their final two games (so pats and fish both end up 10-6), who gets the wild card? does 'who' the pats lose to effect the tie breaker pic?

10. BookEndTackles 72&79

No one should be rooting for the Ravens. If they lose it essentially gives the Jets a mulligan in Seattle and we all know how this team can blow golden opportunities. This is the scenario below:

Currently, the Jets hold the SOV tiebreaker over the Ravens due to the Jets having a winning % against teams they have defeated of .444 (56-69-1) vs. the Ravens winning % of .383 (46-73-3). Assuming the Ravens lose to the Cowboys they CAN NOT improve their SOV winning % this week because the teams they have defeated are all playing each other so obviously one will have to win or lose. They have defeated Houston and Oakland who play this weekend. Cincy and Cleveland twice each who play this weekend. Philly and Wash who play this weekend. Their ninth win is against Miami so if the Fish win that also improves our percentage by an equal amount since the Jets have also beat Miami.

Ironically, the Jets winning % will go down with a win against Seattle so in a tie breaker scenario at the end of the year against the Ravens it actually hurts the Jets. However, the Jets can improve their SOV % with wins by KC, Buf, STL and Tenn which are all teams we have defeated. A Cincy win helps us because we beat the Bengals and that win would be against the Browns and won't help the Ravens SOV %. Obviously, the more of those teams that win the better off the Jets are. Even if NONE of those teams help us out the Jets SOV% would be .406 with a victory over Seattle. If they lose to Seattle the SOV% would be .429. As stated earlier, the Ravens can not improve their SOV% this week.

I didn't run any scenarios for Week 17 but the Ravens play the Jaguars which would be a "weaker" win vs. the Jets win over the Dolphins so we are in good shape here and would win the SOV% tiebreaker vs. Baltimore.

So bottom line is: Ravens lose to the Cowboys and the Jets still control their own destiny for the playoffs even with a loss to Seattle. It would only effect their seeding and not whether they get in or not.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think the Phins do right now, but I also think they lose the tie breaker to the Pats if Miami loses to us in week 17, due to division record.

12. Bigoljetairliner28

Bigoljetairliner28 New Member

To answer your question another way in that scenario... "who gets the wildcard"... I'd answer Baltimore and Indy...

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

ok thanks. my son in law is a big fish fan and we were trying to figure out is it's possible for both the jets and fish to make the playoffs....doesn't sound like it.

unless miami takes the east and we limp in as #6

14. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

In that scenerio, losing to you... and they beat Buffalo week 17, they will have it b/c their division record will be better.

If we lose to KC, and they lose to AZ, and we both win our divisional games Week 17, I think we will still have the tiebreaker?

But bottom line is that if we want to go to the playoffs... we have to win Week 17...

15. Bigoljetairliner28

Bigoljetairliner28 New Member

actually I prompted a question with my response, lol....
    anybody know if Baltimore, NE, and Mia all finish 10-6...
    (assuming Indy gets one wildcard locked up tonight and goes at least 11-5) and Baltimore loses to Dallas but beats Jax for 10-6...
    who gets that last spot?
    Can that question be answered yet?

16. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

I know Baltimore has the tie breaker over us b/c they beat us head to head this year. Pending on which games are won and lost by NE... would determine who has the record between us 2...

17. steviep

steviep Active Member

Is it possible for the jets to make the playoffs and LOSE against the Fins?

18. BookEndTackles 72&79

If the Jets lose to Miami then Baltimore and the Pats need to lose out. Jets would get in as the 6th seed. Seattle game would have to be a win.

19. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Friends,

I am a diehard (out of town) fan, so is my 15 year old son. We watch every game on the dish along with all the SNY Jets shows and follow this board closely. Went to our usual one game also. Here is the dilemma. My whole family leaves for a dream vacation to Israel on Saturday and we get back on New Years Eve. This means of course that we will miss the last two games and won't have access to information. We are suffering with the idea but cannot complain (or the wife will kill me (us)). We are going to try to find a tv with American sports news to find out what happened after the fact. When I get back I expect to see that the Jets have a home playoff game.

20. slimjasi

Anyone else sense an upset victory over the colts for the jaguars tonight?? (I see a really close game either way and I could definately see the Colts losing)