Brett Favre: "These games could be my last"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Wow--you and me agreeing on a QB issue. Better check the temperature in hell today, it must be cold.

2. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Vegas got 6 inches of Snow...:eek:hmy:

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Right because ignoring the question wouldn't lead to any speculation by the media. I'm sure all that speculation would lead you to call him an attention whore too.

gtfoh with this bullshit. When the media asks him a question about his future and he gives an honest answer you cannot fault the guy. It's not like he's calling press conferences to announce these things without being asked.

We get it, you hate Favre. At least come up with some good reasons instead of this bullshit.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ideal and completely unrealistic. I like Favre, but the guy does have an ego, and I doubt there is even a thought in his head of being a backup to anyone.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Agreed that's why we probably have to move on after this year.

6. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Are you his lawyer?

For the past 3 years the guy has been the most self-serving douche in the NFL.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not sure how I will feel about it at the end of the postseason, but it's definitely in our best interest to keep developing QBs and maybe bring in another.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I wasn't posting here at the time, but I also wanted Cutler at the time. The FO obviously thought they could both fill two slots on the OL and use the second round pick to get someone in the same league as Cutler, and I recall a guy like Jaws, who is one of the only ex-jocks who says things that are worthwhile, was big on Clemens. Getting Cutler would have meant that the Mangold selection might have gotten lost in the mix - at a minimum it would have taken some doing, and certainly getting both Ferguson and Mangold would not have happened. I got all that.

But then it seemed like they couldn't seem to find a way to see what Clemens could actually do, until Chad shat the bed so bad they brought in Clemens when the season was already done last year. Not very good circumstances if the thinking was to give Clemens the most support they could. Still, I was hopeful he would shine. Unfortunately the results were mixed.

So, they headed into last off season with this Qb contest set up, and Clemens had a clear opportunity to take the starting slot outright. He didn't. What are we to make of that? I think if Clemens had done that, the Jets would have passed on Favre. In other words, it wasn't only that they didn't want to head into another season with the uninspiring approach of giving the ball to Chad yet again. They also weren't thrilled giving it to Clemens. In truth he did not show much, although it might be argued he didn't get a chance to show much.

At this point it's almost too late to see what the team has in Clemens. Next year is his contract year, and they've not seen enough good in him to extend the contract before then. Yeah, I get that the team might have given him the ball at some points in this season, but with the team at 9-5 and winning out getting them in the playoffs, there NO WAY they are giving the ball to Clemens.

IS,

I don't mean to be antagonistic, but I don't think we actually see Clemens the same way. I take it you think he sucks. I don't think we know enough about him to say he sucks. I just think it unrealistic to think at this point that the Jets would start him.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No I'm just sick of you ragging on him for nothing. He's a self serving douche for answering the questions the media asks him. I get it.

It doesn't surprise me though, a lot of people are too lazy/dumb to think for themselves and buy exactly what the media is selling.

10. winstonbiggs

I don't think Clemens sucks at all in fact I out right love his release, live arm and physical toughness. It wouldn't shock me at all to see him go to a team with a good QB coach and develop into a top NFL QB.

11. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

In his 16 seasons with Green Bay, this self-serving douche made the playoffs 11 times and had a shot in the final weeks in 3 others.

This flaming, self-serving douche is also 26-6 in the last two games of the regular season and has never lost both of them in the same year.

Jesus, I hate having that self-serving douche on our team.

12. Big Blocker

Yeah, well like that's like your opinion, man.

13. winstonbiggs

I hate having him on my team as well but I didn't see a good alternative at the time.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Terrible acquisition.

15. Big Blocker

Yeah, I don't think he sucks - I just don't know if he's shown enough to turn the team over to him. Last year he had some problems, for sure. I thought many could be attributed to the porous OL which seemed to get worse as the season progressed. But there was evidence of happy feet.

Let me ask you this - why do you think Clemens was not able to beat Penny out in the camp contest last off season?

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

That's about where I'm at with him. I've seen a lot worse but nothing about him inspires confidence that he's going to take control of the game when he's out there. Not to say he might not turn out to be pretty good, but usually when a guy is really good it doesn't take years for anyone to see it. It's not like he hasn't had opportunities, either, he has.

I think the Jets are starting to feel the same way. Let's face it, as much as people want to say getting Favre was an indictment of their confidence in Chad, it would have to say the same thing about their confidence in Clemens. If they really thought he was the future, Chad would have been the perfect backup, why get Favre at the end of his rope?

17. winstonbiggs

Hard to say he wouldn't have beat Penny out if the "Competition" continued. Fact is they didn't believe in either of them and took the chance on Favre. Maybe the were wrong on both of them?

18. Big Blocker

I agree with your first paragraph. Unfortunately the clock has ticked too much to get a real feel about Clemens before his contract year, when you don't want to go into a contract year with a Qb you give the team to. I mean there are worse alternatives, but you try to avoid that in the NFL.

Your second paragraph is a whoa - no way the Chad Fans would have accepted the team make Chad a backup to Clemens. It's not a matter of cowardice for the FO to recognize that. It would have been a real problem. It's been bad enough when the Jets brought in an icon like Favre. We STILL have constant complaints about Chad leaving. Unless Clemens clearly beat Chad out in the camp contest, and I mean clearly, and even then there would have been huge complaints, there was no way they were going to put Chad as the backup.

That's why the Favre deal was so perfect. Even if he came in here and sucked.

19. Section 227. Row 5

I think, to be completely fair to Clemens, we need to see him behind our current O-line. Even though he played some in preseason, we haven't seen him play behind them since they've jelled, since players like Keller have emerged and since the running game has come together.

I think that's probably what Winston is talking about. The kid might look like John Elway behind this O-line... we just don't know.

20. Big Blocker

Winston,

Yeah, hard to say, but the factors discussed in my response to IS indicate why the Favre pick was the smart move. It's really a shame that Clemens did not light it up in camp and pre-season. Oh well...