***The Official 2008 Playoff Scenario Thread***

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snappy, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Snappy

Snappy New Member

Obviously I know if the Jets win their last 2, they win the Division, but I wanted to put a scenario out there and wondered if anyone knew who would get the tiebreaker.

Let's say the Jets lose to Seattle and beat Miami. They would need NE to lose one to win their Division. However, assume NE wins out. Then assume Baltimore loses at Dallas and beats Jax. Who would get the last playoff spot, the Jets or Balt? No head to head, but both would be 8 - 4 in the AFC.

Bascially, I'm trying to understand that if Baltimore loses at Dallas on Sat (which I think is pretty likely) would the Jets just need to beat Miami to get in the playoffs?

2. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Similarly, is there any way we can clinch a playoff spot this week? If we win and the Pats, Dolphins and Ravens lose is there a scenario that sees us miss out in the end?

3. Snappy

Snappy New Member

As I continue to look at the scenario I laid out, it seems like the Jets would lose out. After conference record, it goes to common opponents, which it looks like we are both 4-1 against. Next is Margin of Victory, which Baltimore seems to have. They have outscored opponents by 112 and the Jets are around 65.

4. Snappy

Snappy New Member

I don't see anyway we can get in the playoffs without beating Miami. Basically, if we lose that game, we lose the tiebreaker against Miami, Baltimore, and NE (assuming NE beats Buffalo). Even if NE loses, Miami and Baltimore would get in.

5. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

NE and Baltimore would have to lose out if we are to lose to Miami and still get in then. No chance of that.

6. hoobash

hoobash Well-Known Member

Dont worry about it like i said before if this team cant beat crappy teams its got no place in the place playoffs.

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Out of interest, is anyone concerned about the Chargers? If Denver loses this week and they win, it sets up a winner-takes-all showdown in week 17. :/

8. NYJets4EverOnTop

Why would anyone be concerned about the Chargers? We just wanna get in the playoffs at this point and the Denver/San Diego situation has no bearing on us getting in or not.

9. Snappy

Snappy New Member

Not too concerned. If the Jets win the AFC East, they would not face SD until the AFC Championship and it would be at home. There are a number of other situations that would be tougher than that (@ Pitt, @ TN, vs. Indy).

10. BookEndTackles 72&79

A point to remember is division ties are broken first so a third place team in the AFC East can not beat second place Baltimore if they finish with the same record which is where the Ravens will finish in the AFC North. A Baltimore loss on Saturday night and the Jets still control their own destiny to get into the playoffs. It effectively makes the Seattle game moot as to whether they get into the playoffs or not. It effects their seeding and whether they win the division but not whether they can get in or not. They can lose to Seattle and if the Jets beat Miami than they are in. They can win the division if they lose to Seattle and the Pats drop one of two and they beat the Dolphins. Under no circumstances can they win the division if they lose to Miami.

It also doesnt matter if Miami or New England win this week or not. If both the Pats and Fish lose and the Jets beat Seattle it still comes down to whether or not the Jets beat Miami to get into the playoffs. If that scenario happens this week and the following week the Jets lose to Miami then they are out of the playoffs no matter what happens in the NE/Buf game in Week 17.

11. Snappy

Snappy New Member

I agree with most of what you said except that the Seattle game is moot in regards to getting in the playoffs. I don't think the Jets will get in over Baltimore if they both end up at 10-6. So basically, if the Jets lose this week and NE wins out, the Jets will be out of the playoffs (unless I'm reading the tiebreakers wrong).

12. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

All I know is I will be watching the New England and Baltimore games because the Miami game does not matter. NE loses and it does not matter wether we win or lose in regards to the division title.

13. WWWestonC

WWWestonC New Member

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's interesting that what the Seattle game is for, if the Jets are making the playoffs, is to not play New England in Foxboro round 1. That's huge. The Jets need to win next week if they want a decent chance to advance beyond the wildcard round.

15. BookEndTackles 72&79

You could be right. I broke it down to the point of common games of which the Jets and Ravens have 5 and they are still tied at 4-1. At that point it comes down to "strength of victory" and I have no idea how they calculate that out.

16. BookEndTackles 72&79

A point to remember is division ties are broken first so a third place team in the AFC East can not beat second place Baltimore if they finish with the same record which is where the Ravens will finish in the AFC North. A Baltimore loss on Saturday night and the Jets still control their own destiny to get into the playoffs. It effectively makes the Seattle game moot as to whether they get into the playoffs or not. It effects their seeding and whether they win the division but not whether they can get in or not. They can lose to Seattle and if the Jets beat Miami than they are in. They can win the division if they lose to Seattle and the Pats drop one of two and they beat the Dolphins. Under no circumstances can they win the division if they lose to Miami.

It also doesnt matter if Miami or New England win this week or not. If both the Pats and Fish lose and the Jets beat Seattle it still comes down to whether or not the Jets beat Miami to get into the playoffs. If that scenario happens this week and the following week the Jets lose to Miami then they are out of the playoffs no matter what happens in the NE/Buf game in Week 17.

17. TampaJet

TampaJet Member

if Baltimore and jets lose this week and jets win next week. Jets are either the 6th seed as NE wins the division or Jets win the division and are either the 3rd or 4th seed if NE loses one game. Thats it.

18. Snappy

Snappy New Member

Are you sure about that? When going through tiebreakers with Baltimore, we are tied in Conf Record and Common Opponents, but the next tiebreaker is Strength of Victory, which looks like Balt has it over the Jets.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 2002 scenario (almost exactly) is:

Jets lose to Seattle
    New England loses to Arizona
    Miami beats KC
    Dallas beats Baltimore
    Jets beat Miami
    New England beats Buffalo (winning on the last day of the season to force a tie)
    Baltimore beats Jacksonville

Jets make the playoffs at 10-6 and both Miami and New England sit on the sidelines at 10-6. Given everything I know about the Jets so far this year that's the scenario I think is most likely.

Jet's, BTW, host Indy in round 1 if this is the case and Indy has a better record, just like 2002.

#19 Br4d, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  20. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

theres scenario were we could win the division and pats could get wildcard if they win their last two, and we would face them at home.