Admit it trading for Favre was a mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LI JET FAN, Dec 15, 2008.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Are you implying that we have a higher 1st round pick with Chad as the qb? :sad:

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Since he also mentioned developing a young QB, I'm guessing he's saying we'd have gone with a young guy and had a bad or "rebuilding" year. Given all the money we spent before getting Favre, I don't think so, we weren't in rebuilding mode even before that move.

3. winstonbiggs

I'm not all that pleased with Favre's performance, it's a little to up and down for my taste but there is no denying that we are a competitive team in the NFL this year. I don't discount the PSL argument either but I'm not sure what people expected from Favre?

For me I guess I expected him to be much more of a drop back passer who could hit the intermediate and occasional long ball that presented itself. To my surprise he is much more of a clasic WCO QB who relies on rythem and really sucks at throwing the long ball. On the other hand he has been really good at hitting the slants in stride with little space to work with. Who new that Favre was the exact opposite of Vinny T except when it came to throwing INT's.

I'm not going to deny that I wanted to go in a differnt direction from Chad but the truth is I wanted out of the WCO completely to more of a smash mouth team with a QB who could throw over the top. Favre really hasn't given us that at all.

#123 winstonbiggs, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  4. Italian Seafood

I'm with you there. Either way I think the league is about winning now, I don't think you rebuild anymore. That's why I think Chad would have gotten the nod over Clemens and why I was ok with Favre coming if we were going to replace Chad. What I didn't want was a novice in there losing games while we either had no good veteran or had one sitting there for the sake of the "future". Coaches and GMs exist on a short leash, that's why guys who have won somewhere at some time always end up starting over unproven guys.

5. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Worst Thread Ever

How would the Jets have been going with a younger Qb if they had not gotten Favre? Are you suggesting they would have cut Chad anyway? I don't understand your post.

Or are you saying the Jets would have started Clemens or Ratleff?

The problem here goes back to last season heading into the most recent off season. We saw enough of Clemens to see he was able to win more games than Chad with the same team, but he hardly proved himself to be a franchise Qb in the making. What did the CS and FO do? They set up a camp competition. And chose not to go high pick for Qb in the draft.

The set up of the camp competition made one of three broad possibilities likely. The first two were that either Chad or Clemens would win the competition outright, hopefully with improved play than we saw from either last year. The third, in most respects least appetizing option, would be that neither would impress enough to take the job away from the other. (This would include a situation where one was marginally better than the other, because marginal by definition means something less than clearcut.)

So what did we get but the third scenario (in fact some were rooting for Ratleff). Since at that piont it was too late to go back and do over the draft picks, they were left with no options other than to go into the new season with a Qb who just got himself intercepted into a 1-8 record, or a new guy who was mostly unproven. Until an escape presented itself when Favre came onto the market.

Chad's relative ability to do better in Miami was hardly something that the FO should have foreseen. Without that foresight the OP's question makes little sense - at the time the FO had to make its decision, they had to go with the info they had. This is the error in the OP's setup and why it's one of the worst threads ever. The OP is implying the Jet FO should have known that Chad was going to have a great season in Miami - hell it's even debatable that he's having a good season. It's clear to me that Miami's D is much improved and that is the main reason for the turnaround. Yes Miami formerly has had a string of awful Qb's - remember Wanny's manlove for Jay Fiedler? Chad steps in to a situation with an OC he used to work with, and a D that is so good he is not required to lead the team to all that many points.

Despite the ambiguous at best performance Chad has shown in Miami, the OP

1. believes Chad is having a great year and

2. implies the FO foresaw that Chad would have a great year and got rid of him anyway.

The problem is not only is it far from clear that Chad is having a great year, at the time the FO chose to get Favre the information available made it the right move, a move they would make everytime in the same situation.

So, how can the trade be referred to as a mistake?

Worst thread ever.

6. Italian Seafood

I was just taking a stab at what the other poster meant.

Personally I think the goal all along was to put the best guy out there that they could, like every other team. There weren't any QBs out there worth getting rid of Chad or Clemens for until Favre became available and Green Bay wanted to ship him out of the NFC. At that point they made the move and let the chips fall where they fell, but again the objective remained the same--get the best guy out there for this year. If Favre hadn't unretired that would have been Chad or Clemens, considering that's who we opened camp with.

7. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

And just to hopefully close out this latest edition of this stupid topic. Once the Jets had picked up the best player available at the position they had 24 hours to make cap space.

They could have traded away a player or more in order to make the space before the trade but it was by no means a done deal and we could have ended up in much worse shape had Favre decided to go to Tampa or stay retired. So that whole line of thought is pretty close to imbecilic.

So, given that the trade is done and the Jets have 24 hours to make cap room who in the world is giving the Jets anything for any player on their roster? Especially for the most likely player to be cut? No one.

8. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I support Favre and obviously I hope he does great and helps this team win, but I agree with the OP. I thought there was no way the Jets would make a move for Favre during the offseason and admittedly I was wrong. My opinion of the trade is still the same; regardless of how the season end, I think it was a big mistake. Unless we win the superbowl, in which case I'll eat my words.

9. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

And what veteran QB's signed or got traded between the time we cut Chad and now? Daunte Culpepper? :rofl2:

10. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

That's brings up a different point. Near as I can tell, we should drop to our knees and thank the stars each and every day that Parcells drafted an offensive tackle with the first pick and not Matt Ryan. That's all I'd fahking need - dealing with another Miami quarterback for the next decade. Just when Brady retires he'd be hitting his prime, and we'd be picking Brooks Bollinger off the waiver wire.

11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

My thoughts when Chad left was not because he couldn't totally get the job done, his welcome was just worn out.

The fans wanted him gone, the NY media blamed him for all of the Jets issues, Mangini was losing confidence, chad was starting to ware down mentally, it was just time to go. I remember one question he answered to the media a month or so before we knew he was gone about how he was going to change the Jets struggles. He rolled his eyes and said in a sarcastic tone "yea because it's always the QBs fault..." He knew he was halfway out the door, and he's the type of guy who can't perform under those conditions... which I totally respect because it seemed like a real tough situation.

Personally, if I was in a situation where everyone wanted me out, and I felt like I was halfway out the exit, I wouldn't be able to perform to the best of my ability either. Now he's playing with a chip on his shoulder, which is a huge motivation factor for him and it's making him succeed in many areas people thought he would fail.

#131 JackBower, Dec 15, 2008
  12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Nothing to teake issue with there, except that if Chad had stayed and started, it wouldn't have put the Jets any closer to starting a younger Qb with a long term future.

But your post also implies what I said in my long winded post - the info they were working on at the time indicated the Favre move was to get the best guy available. That's why the OP is so stupid.

13. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Don't care what anyone has to say. At this point, Pennington has obviously outplayed Favre and made a division rival way better. Big mistake.

14. KSJets

KSJets New Member

That's BS. The offense doesn't resemble anything like it did under Pennington. Gone are the shifting and motions and tons of different formations. It is the playcalling by a conservative pussy OC.

The problem lies with the coaches coaching scared, on both sides of the ball. They were fairly aggressive on offense until Favre threw his first pick and almost had another one intercepted on a tip.

On defense, well I don't really have to remind everyone on how Sutton calls a game. They are afraid of giving up a big play so they go into a shell at the first sign of trouble.

15. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Every week there is a thread about this. Let's wait until after the season to evaluate this. We could miss the playoffs with a loss to the 'Phins, we could lose in the 1st round of the playoffs, or we could even win the Super Bowl. Let's wait and see what happens.

16. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

To be fair, Chad is considerably younger than Favre . . . having said that . . . GREAT POST.

17. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

The guy is our fucking QB bitching and complaining won't do anyone any good. Lets just support the guy. If you are still pissed off come the end of the season then let it rip. Last time I looked it is going to be week 16 and our beloved Jets are tied for first place in the east. What, would you rather the Jets be 3-11 like they were this time last year? Lets just ride the Favre wave and see where it leads.

18. winstonbiggs

Again had the Dolphins not beat NE than we could not win the division and probably have no shot at the playoffs. If in fact by letting Pennington go to the Dolphins he made them good enough to beat NE once and not good enough to beat us once, it will be one of the great moves in Jets history.

#138 winstonbiggs, Dec 15, 2008
  19. Fusion2006

Fusion2006 New Member

Man go away, no one needs a fan that has already counted us out of a game 2 weeks away against a team we already beat on the road.

What happens if we win then?

Then you will come on here as a loser and say "well I always said I was hoping we'd get it together, I just had doubts". Thats lame.

20. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I know...I want all these ChinadollChad fans to come back AFTER the miami game, when Eric
    plays a tampa 2 against Chad, protecting inside the numbers, and rushing 5 every down.

(See Jets Vs Oakland playoffs,Jets @ Pitt playoffs , Jets at Buff LAST F*NG YEAR)

After Revis and law take back a weakass out pattern for a pick six, and another for at least FG position Ronnie Brown is in as QB for the wildcat for the entire 4th quarter.