Admit it trading for Favre was a mistake

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LI JET FAN, Dec 15, 2008.

1. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I don't think Chad's numbers will be on a plaque in Canton either. Bottom line is we are in first place with Brett Favre as our QB and if we win the divisions every move we made this offseson from drafting Gholston, trading for Favre, signing Pace, signing Clowney, changing the toilet paper in the locker room, trading for Jenkins, going to margerine instead of butter in the post game spread was a good move.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

They had no choice. They had 24 hours to clear cap space for Favre and there wasn't a team on the planet that would have made a trade knowing that.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Unless of course its a cold windy day and we're all tied up with NE and Miami and the D stops the run and Chad throws a pick 6 under pressure. Don't forget if the Chad lead Dolphins didn't beat NE we might not make the playoffs with a win the next two weeks. Letting Chad stay in the division may be our undoing, it may also be the reason we make the playoffs?

This is fun stuff could be like 02 all over again, sort of. Favre and Chad were in the middle of that one also. Chad certainly owned that day.

4. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Our Defense Sucks And Someone Has The Nerve To Talk About Brett.
    Coles Couldn't Handle A Pass To Him, So It Bounced Off Hi Chest Then The Ball Was Kicked Up And Then Intercepted.. Bretts Fault??

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The final verdict appears more and more like it is to be settled on the field December 28. The rest is just specualtion and talk.

6. winstonbiggs

The D was awful, they also won the game.

7. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Trading for Favre was not the mistake...NOT trading Chad (and letting him pick a team to go to) was the mistake. Miami would be 5-11 with Henne at QB.

8. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

Great,
    The D started playing 1.54 seconds left in the 4th.

9. Italian Seafood

Again, it's all one big move. Trading for Favre meant we couldn't trade Pennington, due to the cap rules and deadlines. You can't really seperate the two because move B doesn't happen without move A.

10. winstonbiggs

Yup and the Pats would be 10 & 4 and we wouldn't have a chance to make the playoffs. Tannenbaum does it again. GM of the year.

11. greenwhite&nogold

greenwhite&nogold New Member

You really think that the Tuna would have started Henne? You don't think that the Tuna had his eyes on all of the Veteran QBs that were available?

Henne would not have been their starting QB.

12. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

I could not agree more. When we signed Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, and Tony Richardson, we commited ourselves to change our identity. We wanted to be a smash mouth football team. We were gonna run the ball down peoples throats and wear them down. Favre was NEVER part of the plan.

But, when Favre became available, and Johnson knew he was throwing big PSLs our way, Favre was too attractive to pass up on. So, we brought in Favre, and our whole philosophy has changed. We feel that instead of making the Jets a smashmouth team like we had originally planned, we were just going to use our running game to set up Favre and the passing game. We feel like we have to highlight the fact we have Favre every game.

This, however, does not utilize our talents well at all. We don't have a deep threat like Greg Jennings. Hell, Laverneus Coles is no Donald Driver. Not to mention, from Alan Faneca moving to the right, we have spectacular run blockers, while maybe slightly above average pass blockers.

I am NOT saying Chad Pennington is a better QB than Brett Favre is. I think even the Chad lovers can admit that. BUT, this offense was meant to be run by a game manager. All our offseason moves made sense, fell in line, until Favre. I think he adds another dynamic to our offense, but that dynamic, although sometimes leads to glory, often also leads to INTs.

And these turnovers make us abandon our running game. It seems as though every week there are new threads saying why did we abandon the run game so early. Fuck, Leon Washington had a 47 yard TD run, and that's the only time we called his number to run the ball all game. The AFC's leading runner barely got 20 carries. We average 4.8 yards/carry, tied with only the Giants for 1st in the NFL, yet we have run the ball more than 200 times less than them. With Chad as our QB, i guarantee that would not have been the case.

In closing, Chad was meant to run this type of offense. Pennington was lights out in 2002 and 2004. Both years, we had Curtis Martin running the rock. In fact, 2004 Martin was the rushing champion. And Chad thrived in this type of offense. Now, he's thriving with Ronnie Brown in his backfield. The last few years we havent been able to run the football, and not surprisingly, Chad was marginalized. This year we changed that, so Chad could thrive, not so a gunslinger can come in here and make us abandon the run game early.

Bret is better than Chad. However, we built this offense for Chad. And, if Johnson was not releasing his PSLs this season, I guarantee you Brett would be a Buc, and Chad would be thriving managing our games.

13. DolfanTom

DolfanTom New Member

I agree!! :lol:

In all seriousness, even you Jet fans have to appreciate the Ultimate Irony Bowl that could be developing in a couple weeks. Oh the drama!!!

This Favre move's legacy could ultimately depend on the outcome of this one game. Amazing!

14. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

My comments were regarding Favre's tenure as the Jets starting QB. Even though he's a future HOF I could care less.We had our shot at Favre in 91' and got Browning Nagle instead.When Favre goes in to the HOF he'll be remembered as a Packer. I was just hoping his footnote would also include ended his NFL career as A Super Bowl winning QB with the Jets.

15. Italian Seafood

Very true. It's funny because we thought the opener would be Jet-Dolphin drama at its best by the pure coincidence of the schedule, turns out it could have only been the opening act. What an amazing finale that will be if we both win this week.

16. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Chad was an absolute joke last season with the Jets. Throwing these 3 yard outs every pass play. Let's not me hypocrites now. Even yesterday, Chad is what he is.... Nothing to brag about. Favre, while inconsistent lately has had a million good moments this season as a Jet. Played great vs. New England in the win. Played great vs. Tennessee. 6 tds vs. Arizona. Winning td at the end vs. KC. Played great vs. Miami in week 1. Guys had a real good season, don't let the fact that the last 3 weeks haven't been great distort the full season he's had.

17. winstonbiggs

We built this O for Clemens not Chad. Fact is while we break a lot of runs we are not a power running team and Jones and Washington aren't guys who get you three and four yards when everything is bottled up. We get stuffed all the time when we try and run on people. We are having a good year running but they are big breakaway runs. This is not a team like 04 that rarely got stuffed with 8 in the box and consistently grinded up yards by matching up our OL and TE on bodies and Curtis finding a way to 2, 3 and 4 yard runs when there was nothing.

18. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

This was Woody's and his marketing department's dream. Having Brett filling all those PSL orders.Would we be any worse this year with Chad, possibly. The problem with bringing Favre in was they have the wrong personnel to play Favre's style of game. As usual the Jets they are a day late and a dime short when it comes to bettering this team.

19. Italian Seafood

:lol:

Someone's still on that bandwagon.

20. greenwhite&nogold

greenwhite&nogold New Member

Although I don't agree with you on all of your points, I must say this is a excellent post - very objective. Clearly, they've trying to mold Favre into a Pennington style QB. It's difficult to find the right balance of passing and rushing. Reigning Favre into these dinks and dunks doesn't complement his strengths. Mangini needs to mix things up more. Teams have figured us out. They know that we don't let Favre go deep that often, so they have put more into stopping the run and in covering the short routes.