We just got a break for the playoff matchups

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jets12, Dec 14, 2008.

1. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

I want no part of the Patriots if I'm the Jets.

2. yanksb4life

yanksb4life New Member

What needs to happen for us to play Miami two weeks in a row?

3. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

They are the last team I want to see in the playoffs.

4. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The rule you were thinking about had been thrown out a long time ago.

From 1970-89, two teams from the same division could not meet in the divisional playoffs.

5. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Ravens could go all the way. They paid a price early for starting a rookie QB, but now he's playing well and the defense is murderous.

6. #17 with a bullet

#17 with a bullet New Member

Agreed their D looks really scary right now.

7. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Jets don't match up very well against any of the other seeds from the AFC right now. The three top possibilities - the Ravens, Colts, and Patriots (for the first round game) will all give the Jets fits. Believe it or not, I think the best scenerio for the Jets would be a late start against the Colts - an indoor team - in snow or freezing rain. The Ravens are too tough and have always been a bad match-up for the Jets. The Patriots? I'd prefer not to see them in the playoffs at all. Right now, I'm not feeling very good about the Jets playoff chances at all...maybe that'll change over the next two weeks but not now.

8. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

[​IMG]

ZING!

9. Bosko

Bosko Guest

You are 100% correct, sir!
    I once won a $100 bet on this info back in the 1980s.
    So believe me, I noticed when the rule changed.

10. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Patriots and Ravens need to lose out, NYJ/Miami must win next week and then Week 17 is a game for who gets to host the playoff game. But bottom line NE and BAL have to lose the next 2

11. yanksb4life

yanksb4life New Member

There's no scenario where the Jets and Dolphins win tiebreakers over the Pats and Ravens?

12. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Would have to run a few scenarios but I do know for a fact that if(and assuming BAL is out) that the 10-6 Patriots hold tiebrakers over the 10-6 Jets if they win the BUF game, and the 10-6 Jets would hold tiebrakers over the 10-6 Patriots if NE loses the BUF game. 10-6 NYJ would also have tiebrakers on NE if they win the Miami game, but you can rule that out if we're talking about NYJ vs MIA in the WC>

13. yanksb4life

yanksb4life New Member

Based on that, it sounds like if Baltimore loses out, NE beats AZ and loses to BUF, Jets beat SEA and MIA wins out, Jets would play at MIA WC weekend.

I realize this is getting way ahead of things, and the above scenario isn't something a Jet fan should root for, but the absolute best playoff scenario for the Jets would be MIA on WC weekend and then TEN in the divisional round.

#33 yanksb4life, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  14. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Yep, but in the scenario you listed above Miami doesn't even need to win Week 17 to go. The absolute best scenario for the Jets(assuming the Jets want to play Miami over NE,Baltimore, and Indy):

1. Jets win Week 16 and 17
    2. Dolphins win Week 16 and lose 17
    3. NE loses to Buffalo
    4. Baltimore loses to Jacksonville and Dallas.

This sets up a WC weekend with the Jets hosting the Dolphins.

I know alot of the "Darksiders" are saying how bad it would suck if Chad beat the Jets Week 17. But if you're really into the whole gloom and doom, losing Week 17 wouldn't nearly be as bad as winning Week 17 and then losing in the WC the following week

#34 Antoni, Dec 15, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  15. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

One other interesting scenario:

If New England loses to Buffalo and the Ravens lose 1 of their next 2, the Jets and Dolphins play in the WC if they tie. So in theory, the Jets and Dolphins could just take turns kneeling and punting all game and go.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Baltimore is going to have to win at Dallas and home against Jax just to make the playoffs. Its amazing how much love some teams get on this board that are no better then the Jets. I was rooting for Baltimore yesterday just to keep NE out of the playoffs, I want no part of NE in the first round assuming we win the division.

17. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

To be fair to the Ravens they are playing one of the hardest schedules this year. Their 9-5 is more impressive than the 3 teams in the AFC East, and when you're going in with that defense in a do or die game you have to like your chances

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I give Baltimore a ton of credit, they have had a great year but they have their weaknesses just like the Jets and Phins and just about any other team in the league. I would much rather play the Ravens than the Patriots in the first round though, no question about it. I would take my chances with a rookie QB in the playoffs any time, especially at home. I want no part of the Pats again, I would play any other team in the AFC over them.

19. Don Iguana

Don Iguana New Member

Oh my, I love that, it's completely insane.
    You play to win the game...next week.

20. Antoni

Antoni Well-Known Member

Haha ya, it would never happen, but strategically that would be the best thing to do.