George: Are the Jets for real?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SydneyDon, Nov 23, 2008.

1. SydneyDon

SydneyDon 2008/2009 TGG The Green Card "International Poster

Thomas George reports from the Jets-Titans game. Check back later for his complete column:

NASHVILLE ? Match the physical, brute nature of Tennessee?s overall game. Check. Score early and force the Titans to do more in the passing game with quarterback Kerry Collins. Check. Strangle the Titans running game. Check. Do not let special teams on their end dramatically decide the game. Check.

And can we get a touch of creativity in the approach, especially offensively?

Double check.

That was the Jets? blueprint today. And when completed, the previously undefeated Titans were held in total check.

The Jets won here, 34-13, before a packed crowd at LP Field that had not seen their team smacked around like this. Not in the way the Jets built leads of 7-0 and 10-3 and 20-3 en route to a 27-6 advantage in the fourth quarter.

Even when the Titans scored quickly and moved to within two touchdowns in the final quarter, the Jets continued to create answers and implement them. The final dagger was a 12-play, 75-yard drive. Leon Washington capped it with a 4-yard touchdown run with 2:09 remaining.

Of course, Washington had already ripped 61 yards through the Titans defense for an earlier fourth-quarter rushing score that punctuated just how superior the Jets were on this day. Brett Favre played a smart, nit-picking game where he kept finding receivers on quick crossing routes and slants. The Jets defense was motivated and active, as effective deep on the back end where safety Kerry Rhodes roamed as it was up front where nose tackle Kris Jenkins dominated.

Thus, we saw the Jets grow from their recent victory over nemesis New England. The Jets played this game as if the tallest mountain had already been climbed and as if the Titans were just another team. The Jets? confidence was evident in everything they did today to climb to an 8-3 record and remain atop the AFC East.

Tennessee is 10-1, the last of the unbeaten teams to fall this season.

For the Jets, a huge accomplishment that indicates how much could lie in store.

For the Titans, a huge reality check and sober reminder that not only are they not perfect, but they are susceptible to being manhandled like this at home

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Yes, the Jets ARE for real.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The confidence must be in the team as well as the fans.

4. JeTs8320

JeTs8320 New Member

This is awesome go JETS!!!!

5. bassman

bassman Member

I think the Jets can go Undefeated the rest of the way through the regular season.

6. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Fuck Yeah!!!

7. jets&rushfan

jets&rushfan New Member

Neon Leon take it to the house...

8. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

maintaining the confidence is the tough part. it's a little easier after the strong last few weeks...but they have to remain focused...and healthy.

9. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

Kris Jenkins' status?

Any word on Jenkins. I mean: is he injured or did he just get shaken up?

10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

11. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

Yes, please! I've been wondering this myself but didn't want to start a thread to ask.

12. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

He appears to be okay, thank god. i believe he came back in for an extra point pretty soon after. i didn't know this and all day i wasn't enjoying the win because i thought it was really serious

13. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

Thanks. I didn't get to watch the "whole" game. Did the Justintv thing. Crappy kinda but it was A LOT better than nothing at all.

14. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

5 dropped passes by TN, that made a difference. I bet if played them again, like in the playoffs, it will be a much closer game, but the Jets would still win.

15. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I KNEW IT.. I knew they weren't just in my head.

16. uberchink

uberchink New Member

So are we done with all this "same old jets" crap? that stuff gets really annoying during games

17. Heatseeker

Heatseeker New Member

As a Packer fan watching the Jets throughout the season, a number of things are becoming ever more apparent:

One, the Jets ARE for real.

I lump them in with the AFC elite. Even without Brady, last week's win was huge. Cassel is no slouch by any stretch and the Jets took it to them. This week was equally as impressive.

Obviously, Favre is playing well, but the two things I've noticed -- is that one, the defense is simply awesome. Your front seven are beasts, but Revis is a grade-A stud, and Law was a nice addition as well.

Secondly, the playcalling has been very solid. Lots of, "Fire Mangini!!" threads earlier in the season. Not so much now. He's learned how to use this offense, and learned what Brett's strengths are -- and rather quickly I might add. If they stick with the game plan, and Mangini sticks with this solid playcalling, I see no reason why the Jets shouldn't be one of the top 3 teams in the AFC come playoff time.

18. uberchink

uberchink New Member

Gameplannig has been much more solid the last couple weeks. That doesn't mean Shotty didn't call some terrible plays earlier on in the season though.

19. SomeNoob

SomeNoob Member

Bad choice of words there..The Titanic sunk you know...