Brett Favre Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by packerbacker1234, Nov 11, 2008.

1. favre4halloffame

favre4halloffame New Member

not best in his own era? Really? Then how did he find his way into 3 MVP awards during a time when Young, Aikman, Elway, Marino, and Montana played.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

No QB has loved this game more.

Argue that.

3. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

I think winning three straight MVP's (the only player in history to do so, and the only player in history to win three MVP's) 2 super bowl appearances, a ring, pretty much made Brett Favre the Best QB of his prime playing days. Yes, Elway was there, and got two rings, one at the expense of the Brett Favre lead packers (seriously, many of us still want to strangle holgrem for his horrible coaching that game), but there was little dispute at that time that Brett Favre was the best QB in the NFL for a span of 4 - 5 seasons, which is the prime of a palyer's career, essentially.

The fact he has been able to mirror some of that MVP success in in spurts across the other 12 years of his career is what put him up there.

Take Steve Young - My biggest problem with him, generally, is he just had a really short career. If were going to talk about all time greats, I think they needed to have played for a significant amount of time. Take Sterling Sharpe: Arguably he could be said to be hte best WR to ever touch the football field. Howeve,r his career was cut short by a injury, and you'll never here him discussed up there.

Yes, there were A LOT of GOOD QB's to play during brett Favre's starting career: BUt in his prime none of them were better then Brett. Brett was not only the best QB, but the best football player PERIOD in the nfl for 3 seasons.

He also was apparently the second most valuable player as soon as last season.

Yes, stats are not everything. I agree, there are intangibles where guys like Montana, Bradshaw, Bart Starr, etc... seem to have the edge. But, if they LOST the championships games, instead of won them, no one would even say a word.

One must remember that while stats are not everything, Championship rings are not everything either. I mean, Trent Dilfer has one for crying out loud, and I don't see him going to the hall of fame.

To say a QB that is the only palyer in history to win 3 straight MVP's, and almost racked up MVP #4 if not for an other worldly year by a QB who never had more then 28 TD passes in his career per season, and has won more football games then any QB to ever play the game, with only one losing season his entire career, is not worth top 5 consideration, your silly.

And, you can't claim he just rode the team to wins, because he has his own personal stats to back all that up. Those personal stats is what lead to all of that above. Just like his personal stats last game was pretty much what lead the jets to a win.

Talk about the top 5 is usually based on either stats, or rings.

I use both. As such, the guy who has all the stats, and a RING, plus a handful of MVP's, is definitly worth top 5 consideration.

4. Phear

Phear New Member

junc watches football to see chad in tights.
    yes it's not like the packers (not just favre) lost to a crap team, but no sense in arguing with certain people because ignorance is a motha.

5. Phear

Phear New Member

ummm. sorry ndmick cant argue with u today.

6. uberchink

uberchink New Member

yup. even if you bring up facts and relevant points they'll just ignore them, completely unaware of how wrong they are. oh well, anyways who's not ignorant or biased admits Favre is near the top and still has some of that magic left in him.

7. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

It has everything to do with this conversation. I guess you missed the postgame press conference. Maybe that "terrible decision" wasn't so terrible after all.
    Regardless of confusion over route running, I don't view throwing to Driver as a terrible option. He had half a step on the defender. I suspect some people only see what they want to see.

That's kinda sad in Elway's case. He only beats Favre in one area, and that's super bowl wins. Virtually every other category is Favre by a landslide. Talk about overrated QBs and Elway is near the top of my list, despite the fact that he's a top 10 QB.
    Young is underrated. IMO he's better than Montana, but Joe has more rings and got most of the playing time to elevate him to a place that Young couldn't get to because he rode the pine for so long.

8. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Really? Show me a QB who matches Favre from 1994-1998. He was the best during that time. Period. Elway was a shell of his former self and Aikman could only dream of being half as good. Young was the closest thing to Brett, but still he wasn't quite as good during that span.

9. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

You picked a 4 year period and Young was simply better. By your own admission Elway a shell of himself was still just as good. I would have taken Marino in his prime over Favre in a minute. He clearly isn't in the same league as Brady or Manning who both played in his era. Aikman may have only dreamed of being half as good but he was more productive than Favre.

Favre has always been a top 5 QB in the league but his true greatness is his longevity. Their is no way if I have a 5 year plan and look at all the great NFL QB's to choose from that Favre is the guy. Greatest ever he is on the fringe of the conversation.

#249 winstonbiggs, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  10. uberchink

uberchink New Member

Reminder: This is a Brett Favre Appreciation Thread

11. favre4halloffame

favre4halloffame New Member

wait you really think Young was better than Favre from 1994-1998? Favre threw 20273 yards, 176 TD's vs. 76 ints. Also, the Packers went to the playoffs every year during that period, went to the Conf Champ 3 times, SB twice, winning once. Oh yeah, Favre also faced the 49ers 4 times in the playoffs and went 3-1 against them (should have been 4-0 but the refs missed a call on a Jerry Rice fumble).

Steve Young threw 124 TD's, 16778 yards, vs. 45 ints. Steve Young also went to the playoffs every year, winning a SB, but then he seem to develop this problem after winning the SB, of losing to Favre in the playoffs 3 years in a row until he got lucky the 4th time. The biggest difference between the two players though, was that Favre played every single game, while Young suffered injuries and was out for extended periods of time.

During the period 1994-1998, both the Packers and 49ers won a SB, but it was obvious Favre was the better QB, for his numbers, his toughness, and his head to head matchups vs. Young.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

:rofl::rofl: It's downright hysterical to see you guys post stuff like this when that is EXACTLY what YOU do!!!! Brett can do no wrong in your eyes, if they win it's b/c of him, if they lose his teammates or coaches blew it. I am actually FAIR, I have given the man praise the last 3 weeks but you skip over that part.

So he was supposed to run a shake route? That's something the QB should have noticed before the ball was thrown. A pee Wee QB could see that play was covered whether it was an out or a shake. he had Grant wide pen in the flat but he tried to fore the ball downfield- THAT cost them the game!

Elway led his team to FIVE Super Bowl's and BEAT Favre's team head to head in a game they were big underdogs in one of them. The game is about more than compiled #s.

Young is underrated?:rofl: You have proven you only look at #s when eveluating a QB. never mind Young was handed the keys to a dynasty and got lucky to win 1 SB(thanks to Jimmy Johnson leaving Dallas) he had better fantasy #s so he was better:rolleyes: If Steve was truly great he would have been able to help Tampa Bay turn things around- not win SBs but at least head in the right direction but he couldn't and he wanted out thinking SF would be an easy place to win b/c Joe made it look that way.

I agree w/ everything except Young being better.

13. k0kes

k0kes New Member

See this is where you lose credibility with me. One of your BIGGEST knocks on Favre is that he didn't elevate his team in the "big games". Yet here you are giving credit for losing 3 out of 5 superbowls. And yes, I know that the NFC was a much better conference, but he didn't just LOSE the games, he got CRUSHED. They lost 42-10 to the Redskins and 55-10 to SF. That is just plain getting his ass kicked. His numbers weren't good either. Now you want to talk about the SB against the Packers? Elway had one play that entire game... the windmill. He didn't outplay Favre, Terrell Davis won that game.

Elway: 12 of 22 for 123 yds, 0 TD's, 1 INT. One rushing TD. These numbers are subpar.
    Davis: 30 rshs 157 yds, 3 TD's. <--- SB and League MVP.

Favre: 25 of 42 for 256 yds, 3 TD's, 1 INT.

You're damn straight, GB was favored and was the better team. However it was Davis and not Elway that rose to the challenge that day. Elway in fact played pretty poorly. It kind of reminds me of the Chiefs game this year. You are clearly being hypocritical. If you are going to give Elway credit for last second heroics to save his poor earlier performance, then you have to give Favre credit for coming back and beating KC. You say that you "like Favre" and that you are "objective" when it is very clear that you are much more critical of Favre than others. And for the record, I have NEVER said that Favre is the best ever of this generation. I will agree that that clearly goes to Montana. But clearly he is in the discussion of top 5 of his generation.

14. uberchink

uberchink New Member

again with a random blind accusation. like i said, you can't use facts with this guy. he'll just start making up some random BS shit because obviously he knows what i think better than i know what i think

15. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Sid Luckman, anyone? :wink:

Take that as my way of saying this thread has gotten way off course, and the debate raging within pointless. Here's the deal: top 10 QB of all time (or even this year) or not, if you can't "appreciate" what Favre has brought to this team this year after last Thursday's performance -- remember, way back when, that was the point of this thread? -- then you are an idiot that isn't even worth responding to. Period.

p.s. the nomination of Luckman is not totally facetious. In his heyday he did lead his team to 4 championships in 5 years, including an astounding 73-0 championship game against the Redskins, and he basically invented the modern idea of what a quarterback is.

16. nyjunc

he got his team to 5 SBs, the 3 he lost he lost to vastly superior teams. Favre never played a tea as good as the '86 Giants or '89 Niners in the SB, if he did he would have lost BADLY.

I agree Davis led Denver to the title but Elway was still a big part of it and Favre didn't do eneough to lead his team to victory. Favre's INT led to a TD and thye lost by a TD.

it reminds you of the Chiefs game? Did Elway throw 3 INTs? did he throw one returned for a TD? They are nothing alike.
    But when you say I hate Favre and I never give him credit that is a fact, right?

17. k0kes

k0kes New Member

Seriously? You are going to defend a 55-10 loss in the superbowl? Yes the niners were great, but lets look how they faired the entire season.

1989 49er's: OFF: 26.7 pts/game, DEF: 15.8 pts/game. Their average point differential ALL season long was +11.8 pts/game. The biggest margin of victory ALL season was the superbowl. Elway lead his team to a loss by 45 points, almost FOUR times the average for the 49er's margin for the season. He also lead them to almost 6 less points than the average. Honestly how can you defend that? That is just plain awful.

1987 Skins: OFF: 25.3 pts/game DEF: 19 pts/game. Their average point differential ALL seaons was +6.3 pts/game. How can you justify Elway leading his team to a 42-10 loss? This is almost HALF the normal offensive production and over 5 times the average differential. Again, awful!

If you are going to talk about Favre not showing up in BIG games, please don't use Elway as an example. You only embarrass yourself. He was a part of 2 of the biggest SB blowouts ever.

#257 k0kes, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  18. nyjunc

That 89 Niner team was one of the best in HISTORY. You can't just look at stats.

19. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

Right, can't always. You only do that when it's convenient to your entrenched biases.

:rofl:

20. uberchink

uberchink New Member

nyjunc needs to gtfo out of a Brett Favre Appreciation Thread. He obviously has a hard time appreciating anything Favre does or has done.