Brett Favre Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by packerbacker1234, Nov 11, 2008.

1. k0kes

k0kes New Member

Wow you really went out on a limb with that statement. The same could be said about any player. What you basically said goes without saying. If I disregarded all Elway/Bronco fans opinions, that would certainly cut WAY back on the amount of people that would have him near #1. Wow, Profound. I have an equally profound statement. If we ignore all the Obama/Biden supporters/voters, McCain wins in a landslide! If junc lead a country, he would be a dictator.

2. jetsmetsfan

jetsmetsfan New Member

I sometimes still can't believe Favre is a Jet
    OK NOW We have the tools now lets see if mangini and crew can bring it home

3. uberchink

uberchink New Member

word. no excuses for Mangini and co. if they can't be a threat with these players.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

What facts? Facts like Favre won the Seattle playoff game last year? facts like Favre has been great this year? You are giving opinions.

Yes I know the difference btw a shake route and an out, it's really not that difficult to differentiate the 2 and obviously I don't know what was called in the huddle and the responsibilities of the QB and WR but neither do you and please explain how those routes are relevant to this conversation? He threw to a covered WR when he had Ryan Grant sitting all alone in the flat. It was a terrible decision.

Of course it was everyone else's fault, that is what I have gathered since all the favre fans invaded the board.

I see alot more non-Bronco fans putting Elway top 5 than Favre. The same people that put Favre near the top put Steve Young near the top. They judge solely on #s and just the good ones.

I would be a dictator? I am the one who looks at things objectively, you think favre can do no wrong. I have PRAISED THE MAN the last few weeks especially after Thursday Night. This nonsese started again when Favre was elevated to being better than he actually has been. Enjoy the nice run, just b/c someone doesn't say he's been great this year or just b/c someone doesn't think he's in the discussion for greatest ever doesn't mean he has a bias against Favre especially when the fact is I LIKE Favre and always have. I'll bet I knew who Favre was before you did and I wanted the Jets to draft him in 1991 and I have always liked watching him play BUT that doesn't mean I have to say he was the greatest.

5. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That is the problem right there. You can't possible consider yourself objective when you say that. Favre has all the records and since the NFL is ONLY about records you can't possibly believe he doesn't belong in the discussion unless you are totally biased against him.

6. nyjunc

The NFL is only about records? Maybe to people who do not understand the game it is but those of us that do see beyond JUST the #s. #s are part of it and can seperate 2 guys who are close but yoiu don't just line up #s and pick the best player. If that was the case Steve Young would be better Joe Montana, Peyton Manning would be better than Tom Brady, Warren Moon would be better than Dan Marino,...

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That is all they care about, that is the only thing discussed. The point is you don't have to think he is the best, nobody cares, but to say he doesn't belong in the discussion is ridiculous.

And BTW, there are plenty of people who think Young was better than Montana and Moon was better than Marino and Manning is definitely better than Brady at this point in their careers. Why? Stats.

8. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Obviously I'm biased.

So, I wont get into why I think Favre is the best, or at the very least, the most fun QB to watch play this game.

However, for people to say he's not even in the discussion is rediculous. You don't have to think he's the best, but to say he doesn't belong in the talks is downright silly.

9. nyjunc

He's definitely an all-time great I don't think he's on the shirt list for greatest of all time. The position is about more than #s and I don't feel he belongs w/ guys like Montana and Unitas.

I LIKE Favre, he's an all-time great. Just b/c I don't feel like he belongs top 5 doesn't mean it's a slap in the face at the guy. I am objective, I hate Brady but I feel Brady belongs and if he's not top 5 yet he's on the cusp.

10. nyjunc

Those are people who do not know the game, anyone who thinks Young was better than Montana or Moon was better than Marino doesn't understand the game.

11. uberchink

uberchink New Member

so basically if they don't agree with you then "they don't understand the game" :rofl:

12. Lycurgus1981

Lycurgus1981 New Member

Actually, I remember reading a book by former Falcons safety Tim Green who said his coaches would tell the defense when playing the 49ers to try to hit Montana, but to be sure not to knock him out of the game because his backup (Young) was better. So at least one NFL coaching staff thought Young was better than Montana.

Basically I think this is always a pointless argument because the circumstances in which each player performs are always different and make accurate comparison impossible. That said, for my money, Favre is the best I've ever seen and I absolutely think he belongs in the conversation for the best all time, considering he is at the top of nearly all the standards used to judge QB's (wins, TDs, yards, etc.) I don't even think that statistics can accurately reflect what he brings to a team.

13. nyjunc

I understand the game so I guess if you want to say it like then yes. Anyone who thinks Young is even close to Montana doesn't have a clue.

How did that work out in the 1990 Championship Game? How did it work out from '91-'98?

That CS was the FALCONS so that should tell you something. from '87-'91 they won a total of 11 games. I wouldn't put too much stock into what that CS had to say.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Dark Side of the Game, I read that too.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Maybe someone who only comes here to post their POV over and over without really debating countering points of view is not necessarily a troll, but without putting some other name on it, you do have to wonder what the point is. It's not like he's convincing other people with perseverations to the nth degree.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

17. nyjunc

I assume you are talking about the Favre fans?

18. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I've semi-promised never to engage this debate again with certain people. But maybe certain people need to look at the post count in this thread. There is a certain people that has posted to it way more than anyone else.

Just helpfully pointing this out in case certain people are honestly self-deluded and don't realize exactly what lengths they have taken this silly crusade of theirs to.

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Discussion for the greatest of all time? He was never the best in his own era. Not a knock on Favre who is has been really good over a long period but personally I think putting him in the discussion of greatest of all times is off the wall. There are just to many QB's who I like better who played in his era.

#239 winstonbiggs, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  20. LaSeeno

LaSeeno New Member

Who is this NYJUNC guy and why does he even watch football?

You should be celebrating your team is 7-3 and making a strong run for the playoffs. Fvare is one of the best to ever play quarterback, enjoy him while you can. If the Jets win the Super Bowl he will probably complain that Favre was taking sacks and throwing balls of the uprights instead of throwing one up.

:beer:

The pick in last years NFC championship game wasn't as bad a read as it's been made to be. It was a good read and a poor throw. Sometimes shit happens. The team he lost to beat the undefeated Patriots and are now 8-1 I believe.