Overtime Change

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by phubbadaman, Nov 14, 2008.

?

OT needs to be changed?

1. Yes, the Pats were robbed.

13.0%
  2. No, football is about offense, defense, and special teams

81.8%
  3. Doesn't matter, Pats are still better than Jets

5.2%
  1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Such is the nature of NFL fans in general.

2. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing it done the college way

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

I used to have a major problem with the NFL overtime rules because I thought that the team who won the coin toss had a huge, unfair advantage. However, statistically speaking, that just isn't the case. The bottom line is, the team that wins the coin toss only wins 54% percent of the time AND that includes teams that don't necessarily score on the first possession. (So, in other words, that stat includes scenarios where both teams get to possess the ball) 54%, as anyone who knows anything about stats would tell you, just isn't a statistically significant advantage.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

the jets absolutely owned the Pat's in the coin toss department last night.

5. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

For OT. I think it should work like this.

One team gets the ball first, if they score, they have to kick off and play defense for one drive. if they get the stop, it's over. If the opponents score, then we keep playing as though its a regular quarter until some one scores and the other does not.

I say kick it off, because no starting on the opponent thirty, and garunteeing free points like in the college overtime. these are the pro's make them drive down the field to win.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think the College way is awful. I wouldn't mind allowing the team that loses the toss to get 1 more possession but it would be a regular posession not starting at the opposing 30.

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I think Sudden Death came about from pressure by the networks to keep the games as short as possible. It creates scheduling nightmares for them if a game has to go 3 1/2 to 4 hours.

I don't personally like it. I think each offense should be given one touch and then whatever happens happens. No score after one touch each, it's a tie.

8. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

then the team that loses the toss knows what they need to do though. they will go for the 4th and 8 if they need a td its an advantage more so than the way it is now.

i really like the first team to 6 points wins, that alleviates what I see too often a team gets the ball a guy has a drop and they have to punt from the 15, the other team gets the ball to start on their own 40 and only has to get 27 yards to get a very good shot at a field goal. really today 22 yards to make it a 55 yarder.

if you can drive the ball all the way down the field you deserve the win, if you can drive it far enough for a field goal twice you deserve to win.

however this will never happen because the 2nd game comes on at 4:15 and the nfl will not stand for it. bottom line is that it will remain the way it is which is ok because part of football is stopping the other team. just stop them and you have nothing to worry about.

9. tanknyc

tanknyc Active Member

One simple answer to that theory.. You lose the coin toss shut the F up and play some Defense.. See what you team is really made of when its all on the line. The jets have been on the lossing side of an OT battle many of times. Just as we have reaped the benefits of it too..

10. buddapaw

buddapaw Well-Known Member

Were is the who gives a rats ass what espn thinks button

11. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

They've been saying it for years: I don't expect it to change.

Many of them want the whole "each team gets the ball at their 20 yard line, and must drive the field and score a TD"

Making it similar to college, but requiring a real drive to put points on the board, and not being able to settle for FG's.

In the same sense, I like the way it is now. I'm sorry, but it takes all three phases to win a football game. So what if your on defense first? GET A STOP.

12. GreenMachine

The Arena League has it right.

* Overtime periods are 15 minutes during the regular season and the playoffs.
    * Each team gets one possession to score. If, after each team has had one possession and one team is ahead, that team wins. If the teams are tied after each has had a possession, the next team to score wins.

13. United_Jets

United_Jets Active Member

we did enough to win this game - but they've gotta change the rules and make it like college

14. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Each team gets a possession. If the team winning the toss scores, the other team gets a chance to tie or go ahead. If they go ahead, they win. If they tie, it goes to sudden death and next score wins.

15. graig.323

graig.323 Active Member

The reason they will is not because of the Pats, but because the college overtime makes for better tv.. ESPN lives for that crap...

Me, IMO, have no problem at all with overtime in its current format...