What is a prevent defense?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Everybody is thrilled we won but those kind of coaching mistakes will cost us a game at some point. This team is winning despite how putrid the entire CS is. It is a testament to the team.

2. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

The issue wasn't that Law was covering Moss. The issue was that the Jets applied no pressure and Cassel had enough time to make himself a sandwich on that last play.

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Revis couldn't stop that last play.

4. PleaseWinSuperBowlJets

PleaseWinSuperBowlJets Active Member

It's a defense that prevents us from winning.

5. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

the prevent wasn't to blame for that last play, but its to blame for the patriots even having the opportunity from that part of the field in the first place.

and we may have rushed guys, but for the majority of the time, we would send like, one guy, with our 3 down lineman. on top of this, we were manning up everyone else, and cassel had a field day running up the middle. we never called any QB-spy type plays either, to counteract.

we only played prevent that last drive of regulation minus the last play of the game.

but you can't deny that sutton chose to play a pretty soft defense from the last patriots drive of the second half on through the rest of regulation.

we scrapped it out last night, but do we expect to make it deep into the playoffs with that kinda play??? The CS has to stop playing not to lose.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Okay, I'm going to say it... Welker is a more dangerous weapon than Randy Moss. He showed it to us all game. Moss has better size and distance speed, but Welker is much quicker, has better concentration, is much tougher to bring down after the catch, and has more heart than Randy Moss has ever had or will ever have. We needed Revis covering Welker. While it surprised me that it was Law 1-on-1 with Moss, I didn't have a single issue with Revis on Welker.

#26 abyzmul, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  7. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

That's something a lot of people seem to overlook.

8. uberchink

uberchink New Member

Welker is a scrub compared to Moss. I'd even say Coles and Cotch are better than Welker.. and neither of them are as good as Moss that's for sure.

9. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I have no problem with it either, as Law ended up having perfect coverage. Law was a better matchup with Moss. And he ended up having good coverage. I don't know if Welker is better or worse than Moss. What I do know is that Cassel much prefers to throw to Wes.

10. uberchink

uberchink New Member

If Moss was pressed at the line he might've never been in position to make that catch. Law ended up guarding him very closely but he still let Moss get into position there.

11. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico New Member

we straight up couldn't cover the receivers. it may have been the playcalling it may have been the players. maybe we gave them too much cushion. whatever it was, something went wrong because you shouldn't be able to drive the field in a minute with no timeouts.

12. StreetFighterJet

StreetFighterJet New Member

I hate rushing only 3 guys. Why bother?

I want a 3-4 blitz like the Steelers use... lots of fire zones, you never know where the shit is going to come from... but the Steelers have been doing this for a very long time, so I don't think it comes very quickly.

13. abyzmul

Are you kidding me? Have you not seen this guy play? And why am I even replying to such an idiotic comment? Good god, this one post is going to color every football opinion I read from you now. I would trade any one of our wideouts for Welker. Hell, I'd trade Stuckey AND Coles for him.

#33 abyzmul, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  14. ToddisGod

ToddisGod Banned

did you see the coverage he had? Please he could not have covered him any better, unless he mugged for a penalty or somehow climbed in his shirt and got away with it. Law gets no blame for that last play, known at all. Come on,

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Calvin Pace in coverage all day says otherwise.

16. SeymourSacks

SeymourSacks New Member

The coverage Ty Law had on Moss on that final play was perfect (minus the holding he got away with). Nothing he could have done about it, Cassel scrambled out of the pocket and made a perfect pass and Moss made an amazing catch.

Its been said before, you can't defend a perfect pass...

Also, the prevent defense has already been explained by Mangini, you throw out blanket coverage deep and to the flats, forcing the offense to throw short passes to the middle of the field. Its not designed to stop them from getting first downs, its designed for them to have to move up the field 10 yards at a time without being able to get out of bounds and stop the clock. Statistically, its the best defense you can play in those situations but sometimes the other team makes a couple great plays.

Its like in basketball when you're down by 4+ points and theres only 10 seconds or so left on the clock, you start fouling the other team on purpose to stop the clock and force them to go to the free throw line and hope they miss at least one of them to help close the gap. It rarely works, but sometimes it does. Its just the best thing you can strategically do from a statistics stand point. Its the same thing with the prevent defense, in that situation its the best strategy to use. It forces them to deal with getting yardage and managing time with no timeouts. They had ONE second left on that final play and it was one of those "holy #@^#@$" type plays, like Tyree's catch off his helmet in the SB. Sometimes crazy shit like that happens, but usually not.

There was nothing wrong with playing prevent D there. Perhaps people would have rather they went to a cover 2 defense and then Cassel could have completed 20+ yard passes to the tight ends up the seam in the middle of the field, or 10-15 yard out patterns to the sideline and stopped the clock... The Patriots would have had more options and more plays in their playbook available under those circumstances, giving them more of an advantage. At least in the prevent, you KNOW where your weakness is and you know where they'll be going with the football. You let them complete the 10 yard pass and make a tackle, make them hurry to the line and do it again, racing the clock with no timeouts.

17. abyzmul

Bingo, here's your kewpie doll.

18. uberchink

uberchink New Member

I could say the same for your comment. I've never heard anyone say Welker was anywhere near the level that Moss is at. But here you are..

19. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

randy moss is far and away the better reciever if he had the heart and determination that welker had. moss disappears for stretches now because he knows he isn't getting that big home run play from cassel. we all saw what moss can do when he wants to last year. this year when he gets open cassel has missed him badly. after that easy touchdown cassel missed to him when he burned everyone in the secondary it was like moss just said "screw it i tried and its not paying off, im done"

even the announcers took note that he was making zero effort to get off the line while the jets were bumping him at the end of the game. you can be damn sure welker was fighting for every inch he got on the field. welker is a more dangerous player because he shows up all the time. all you have to do to take moss out of a game is get him a little frustrated and he becomes the randy moss that played on the oakland raiders.

now if this was madden and you could program randy to give 100% effort on every play then obviously he is the better reciever. but at that point in the game the jets knew they had taken moss pretty much totally out of the game. now why they didnt bump him on that final play and let him give up like he had been doing for most of the game i will never understand. but at that point in the game and a lot of the time this year welker is the more dangerous weapon on that offense.

20. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I'd like us to have 4 down linemen from time to time.

The second to last drive, where that Jenkins sack occurred, we had 4 down and were generating quite a bit of pressure. I think we'll see a lot of 4-3 looks the next time we play the Pats.