Brett Favre Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by packerbacker1234, Nov 11, 2008.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I am always fair, when players earn my praise I give it to them and he obviously earned it tonight.

2. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

It's funny that people see junc giving Favre props as some sort of rite of passage.

3. uberchink

uberchink New Member

your criteria seemed pretty harsh for him in the past though. but there's no way anyone can deny his skills this game

4. k0kes

k0kes New Member

Good to hear. That was just plain amazing. I cannot even begin to explain the roller-coaster of emotions throughout that game though lol. I think I seriously almost had three heart-attacks. Cheers junc, cheers :) Too many more games like that (only ended sooner, that one took 3 years off my life)!

5. MauiJet

MauiJet Member

No Picks Brett MAHALO MAHALO MAHALO! Even moreso...nicely executed drives in spite of some ugly plays... J E T S JETS JETS JETS!

6. Jets FTW!!

Jets FTW!! Member

Just wondering do you still think Chad would have done better with the Jets this year still or no? I'm not trying to be mean or anything I'm just curious and wondering what your thoughts are now.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Favre just said "Same ol Jets' in the Post game... LMAO

He said that fans were probably saying that but..."They ain't saying that now"....

Fukin straight bitch!!! :smile:

8. packerbacker1234

packerbacker1234 New Member

Not to mention just those last two scoring drives, but what about the two TD pass drives in the first half? Man were those just down right masterful. Should of had a third TD that Keller dropped.

Seriously, this is the reason teams fear Favre. He took a few risks (as in, bullets between players), even an underthrown deep ball in one on one coverage... and it worked. All of it.

The man just knows how to win. The jets needed this game more then Favre did, and Favre made sure that was going to happen despite horrible play calling in the second half. Seriously, favre could of had 3 or 4 TD passes this game the way he was playing, but the jets keep deciding to take it out of his hands even when he is hot.

Sure, you still got the win, but it could of been a blowout if they would of called better plays and let favre throw that rock in the second half.

Afterall, it worked in the first half. Why would you stop that? Sitting on leads is what leads to losses.

9. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

nm ... everyone is allowed to make amends I guess. I just am curious if it doens't start all over next rough outing (and yes there will probably be one ... everyone has one. The game next week is as good a bet as any).

#109 puddnhead, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  10. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

I haven't read many of his posts but the ones that annoyed the shit out of me were when he tried to assess past GB teams and their playoff losses based on stat sheets. WTF man......I don't need a jets fan who didn't watch the games trying to tell me why GB lost.

The other point of his was that Bart Starr was a better QB than Brett. LOL Starr himself would laugh at that notion. He's been saying for years that Brett can throw better kneeling down than he could standing up. Starr was great, but Brett never had a dominant defense and offensive line to fall back on for a 8 consecutive years.

11. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I think Bart was a better player for that team and era that Brett could have been. Brett is a physical freak who can do amazing things, but what the Lomabardi Packers needed was discipline -- runt he sweep and who gives a d@mn that the other team knows you're gonna do it, because you're just too good at it to stop even if they know it's coming -- and Bart beats Brett there hands down.

The fact is that they are very different kinds of QBs, which makes it hard to say one is better than the other. I think that probably annoyed me more than anything else, that idea that all QBs could be compared head to head using numbers and stats .... like they're all interchangeable robots or something. I don't get how someone can watch a lot of football and not see that players tend to have unique styles, and can fit well in one system, not as well in others.

12. Favre4Ever

Favre4Ever New Member

Can't say that I agree that Bart was better for that team. A better qb is a better qb. Favre would have killed opposing teams with his passing ability. Sure, his arm would have been wasting away while handing the ball off so much. Doesn't matter. Don't forget, that's all Brett did in high school. That's why he didn't get recruited by the major football programs.

13. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Shouldn't an assessment be expected to change in light of new information?

14. nyjunc

You asked, I didn't bring it up. My point all all along was that up to the point we were discussing Chad was better, I said all along that I expected Brett to eventually be better and last night was an example. I don't know if we beat NE last night w/ Chad but I know we did w/ Favre and that's all I really care about.

Favre has been fed all the BS about our history too. We haven't been "same old Jets" in about 12 years, those years of blowing games have been long gone. We haven't blown many w/ a nice lead in the 2nd half.

Last night doesn't give him a lieftime pass, if he comes and throws 2-3 INTs and plays like he did against Cincy, Oak and KC then I will criticize. Something you will learn about me is I criticize when they deserve it and I praise when they deserve it. I will ALWAYS back my team and the players on my team but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to get frustrated w/ them when they don't play as well as we feel they can play. Favre had been playing well the last couple of weeks and played excellent last night coming through in 2 huge spots late.

Well I actually HAVE watched all of GB's postseason games since Favre became QB so I don't know where you get that I just looked at stat sheets. I have always rooted for GB and I have always liked Favre but not obsessed the way you guys are when you think he can never do wrong. he has not played well in postseason for pretty much this entire decade outside of a couple of games.

QB is about more than fantasy #s, Starr led his team to many more Championships. Starr was nearly flawless in the postseason something Brett has not been. That's more important to me that reg season wins. of course favre is more gifted than Starr but that doesn't make him better and to say he never had dominat D's is incorrect. he played w/ alot of great D's. The mid 90s teams had great D's, last year GB had one of the best D's in the NFL, he hasn't had great D's this decade but last year they gave up 17 in regulation in their playoff loss, in '03 they gave up 17 in regulation at Philly, in '01 GB lost 45-17 but Fvare threw SIX INTs including THREE for TDs! he has had good D's to work w/. Defenses look alot better when their O isn't turning it over and setting up opponents w/ great FP or TDs.

You cannot just pluck a player from today's era in the 60s w/ players being so much bigger, stronger and faster. Bart vs. his era was better in big games and a better QB in his era compared to the QBs of his era. Favre threw DOUBLE the amount of INTs in ONE game that Starr had in his postseason career.

This article is from Jan '06: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=640

About Starr:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=200

about Favre's 2nd half of career:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=paolantonio_sal&id=3281535

Here I am feeling great about Favre anbd now you got me arguing against him again.:eek:hmy:

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think the arguments should wait until the upcoming monday.

The rest of the week should be a time for us to relax and enjoy this win.

Lets all sit around the TGG fire and rest. The bigger test comes in 10 days.

16. keypusher

keypusher Member

Congratulations Jets Fans!

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

thank you. go beat the Pats to demoralize them.

18. nyjunc

I agree, I'm done for a few days. If others wan't to reply I'll respond at some point but I want to enjoy this W.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

This win is what this team was put together for. Everybody but the HC did exactly what we brought them in to do.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Banks' take.

"If nothing else about Brett Favre's New York era goes as planned, and there's no ticker-tape parade or storybook ending written by No. 4 during his time in Gotham, Jets fans will at least always have this night to remember. For one game at least, the Favre magic was real, and he delivered when it mattered most. For the first time all season really, no one who roots for Eric Mangini's green-and-white-clad team can say Chad Pennington would have won this one."

"The 14-play, 64-yard, 7:50 game-winning drive in overtime (ending with a Jay Feely field goal) that decided this 34-31 thriller was easily Favre's finest moment of his New York re-incarnation. That it capped an efficient 26-of-33, 258-yard, two-touchdown, no-interception game for the 39-year-old Jets quarterback only made it all the sweeter.

This one was that rare game that lived up to the first-place showdown/rivalry hype, and the Jets somehow managed to win it, lose it, win it, lose it, and win it yet again. Thanks to Favre."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/11/14/patsjets.snaps/index.html?eref=T1