zero foresight

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 24, 2017.

1. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Lets see what unfolds in Jacksonville. As I mentioned on another thread, this Miami win may just be an aberration. An important part of HC's job is to get his team to perform with some consistency week to week. Miami played like they didn't get up from kneeling after the National Anthem.

ajax and slimjasi like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good points, but there is a problem with each of them.

1) Bowles could improve just a little, just enough to screw up our draft position, but still wind up not being the answer. Even if he developed into a topflight HC in terms of getting the team ready to play, holding players accountable, and even becoming good at game and clock management, there's a couple of problems. One is his being so obsessed with veterans, and not playing younger players who need to play to develop. If they see the field little, their chances of developing this year are lessened, and the Jets won't know if they can really help us going forward or not. Two, the Jets need a HC who knows how to develop and handle young QBs. Bowles seems absolutely clueless in that regard.

2) Yes, it would be great if a lot of these young players develop and shown they can help the team going forward. IMO it's too early to establish that winning culture since they may/probably don't have their FQB yet. If they establish that winning culture now, in all likelihood, they won't get that FQB. They need to lose this year to improve their chances of getting that FQB, THEN they can start winning next year.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

I’m not sure what more Petty could have done to seize the job. He looked really good in the Giants game and had a terrific QB rating. He deserves a shot over McCown. Now Petty’s third string and I can’t understand why.

Cman68 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

It's simple...Blowes is a moron.

5. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

He's not third string. He was the backup yesterday and Hackenberg was inactive. Same as Week 2.

#105 Kris 15, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's never too early to establish a winning cultures. The Texans have won their division three out of four years without a franchise quarterback. You think they wanted to hold their players back from winning until they found their franchise guy? Noooo way.

If you build it, they will come. Let's say we miraculously go 7-9. That means we have a roster capable of likely going 9-7/10-6 with improved quarterback play. That won't happen. But I wouldn't be against it.

7. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

BB has made bad draft choices and one could argue it is not one of his strengths. But what he can clearly do with his coaches is develop talent and coach it up. When he makes a mistake with a player, he gets rid of them like they are this weeks trash.

Trading down makes a lot of sense since it improves your ability to hit it big with a draft choice.

8. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

BB is Vince Lombardi, Turd Bowles is Rich Kotite!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

For me picking a franchise QB would also correlate with a HC change and possibly a GM change. I don’t trust Bowles to develop a young QB, although I do think Morton would be an excellent coach to bring a rookie QB along. If jets end up with a top 3 pick, it will most likely correlate with a change at HC. Progress or no progress, few teams look good when they’re going 2-14

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

You're correct. I seem to remember after Game 1 Bowles saying something along the lines of Hack was the backup QB and it wasn't because of Petty's injury in the preseason, which I took to mean that Hack was going to be the number 2. Either way, Petty should be starting now.

11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

mccown is not capable of beating out young quarterbacks tho, that is my point ... the fact that they couldnt beat him out is an indictment of their ability, imo

petty definitely should have been the #2, for at least the last pre-season game, but the organization seems to have more faith in hack for whatever reason

bowles gives the media generic answers, dont read anything into it ... last week he said that he had his starters and was not going to make any changes. then he turned around and gave roberts and brooks significant roles

he looked good against a bunch of uber drivers. i think that he should have gotten a look against one's and/or two's, but those opportunities are earned in practice and we dont know how he did there

and petty is the backup ... hack was inactive last week

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

clearly you don't pay attention as the pats drafts the last 3-4 years have been terrible. they are still living off brady and bill for over a decade.

13. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

You guys are misreading the situation. Hack wasn't the #2 in camp because the CS liked him better than Petty. They wanted to get as extensive a look at him as possible in hopes that he would put something on film that they could feel definitive about. He hadn't thrown a meaningful pass in a year. This is the same reason why McCown barely played during the preseason. They know that as soon as September comes they're going to put Hack on ice so why not give yourself as much film as possible to work with.

Also, Petty was injured for the last preseason game so who knows how much PT he would have received.

BomberJet and grkmanga31 like this.
  14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Agree completely.

15. slimjasi

I agree with some of this, but I would have two points:

1) What young players, besides Petty, should be getting significantly more playing time? I agree that Bowles has been veteran heavy to a detriment in the past, but I'm not sure I agree with that assessment this year, overall. And, as for the QB situation, I am one of the guys who has been screaming since day 1 that playing McCown makes no sense. Having made that point abundantly clear, I also have to admit that McCown is playing well and that he brings a certain stability and consistency to the position that I respect. I see why Bowles likes him (even if I still believe starting Petty makes more sense for us, overall)

2) I totally disagree that a winning culture can't be established because they don't have their QB of the future yet. The QB is, by far, the most important position on the field (and probably in all of team sports, for that matter). But, there are still 21 other guys on the field between offense and defense. To me, a winning culture is about preparing the right way, holding each other accountable, and getting in the "habit" of seeing good things happen week after week. There are plenty of young guys on the roster who could benefit from practicing that sort of stuff.

#115 slimjasi, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  16. BomberJet

McCown only was chosen by Bowles to start purely by NFL experience, and absolutely nothing else. Compound that with Petty's injury and that pretty much put the lid on the coffin. Bowles's answer to the media as to who's the starter at QB certainly was not generic. We can see that plainly on the field. I'm very adamant about Bowles making this type of decision to cover up his poor coaching abilities, and by playing it safe.

This team is going absolutely no where but bottom dwelling and we are forced to see a mediocre QB and a mediocre minded coach contribute to this. Just utter nonsense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. BomberJet

Problem with #2 - Jets had a so called winning culture after Bowles' first season and look what happened the next year with Fitzpatric disintegrating before our eyes. Poooof, winning culture out the window.

if you say the Jets should establish a winning culture, and that of course , if I read you correctly, is based on McCown remaining as QB, is A) what constitutes a winning culture? 3,4,5 games? I don't . Who in his own mind thinks they'll win more? Winning constitutes being at least 1 game above .500. Don't see that happening here.

And B) If by some very slim chance they do establish a winning culture with McCown , a 39 year old career losing QB next year, chances are he'll be gone next season, so pooof, here we go making another attempt at a wining culture with another QB taking the snaps.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  18. slimjasi

See, I can't agree that the Jets had established a "winning culture" in 2015 because of the Buffalo loss. The Buffalo loss changed everything. All of the good faith we established that year pretty much got thrown out the window when we couldn't beat a team that had nothing to play for, riding a 5 game winning streak, coming off of an emotional overtime win against NE, to make the playoffs. Part of me thinks that many of the veterans never fully recovered from that game.

You do not read me correctly. I want Petty to start and have been clamoring about it since mid-summer. The one problem I will always have with us winning this year, is that if McCown is the guy doing the winning, it still leaves us with a giant unknown for next year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. slimjasi

This is very true, which is why I wrote that Bowles has a very small chance of actually making this thing work long term. We all know that this team is not going to be a winning team. lol.

Honestly, with this roster, I would consider 8-8 to be virtually godlike.

BomberJet likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

1) Stewart and Hansen should be getting significantly more playing time. Kerley is probably only here for a year. Even if he stays longer, they need to develop Stewart and Hansen and ascertain if they are going to be players who can help them down the road. I agree with your comments regarding McCown. I thought he was a good signing for the reasons you and another poster or two have stated, and thought that way even when much of the board was complaining about it during the offseason. Another player that should be seeing more time is McGuire. If Forté isn't already toast, he's perilously close. He won't be here next season. Both McGuire and Powell should be seeing a lot more reps and Forté fewer.

2) I didn't say that a winning culture couldn't be established now, but rather than it would be better to wait until they have their FQB prospect. I don't think we really disagree on this point. I totally agree that they should be holding players accountable now, preparing them the right way, and expecting to see good things happen each week. They can do those things and still lose. I want the young players to develop, learn the right attitudes and habits, the team to play well, but just come up short on the scoreboard each and every week. I want them drafting no lower than 2nd in the draft.

I know the team isn't intentionally tanking, nor would I want the organization to do that. But I do want their focus to be on developing the young players (especially Petty), and determining who is going to be able to help them in 2018 and beyond, and not on winning games. If Petty starts and they win 6 games, fine. It's just meaningless in terms of the big picture, and actually hurts the team's ability to get that FQB in next year's draft to win with McCown starting. If Petty is starting and they win, then the Jets may discover that they don't need to draft a FQB. With McCown starting, they still have to plan on taking a QB because they don't know whether or not Petty or Hack can ever be their FQB, and the more games they win, the poorer their chances of getting that FQB in next year's draft and of addressing their other needs adequately in the draft. That's what I meant, not that they shouldn't be developing the players and expecting them to play well.

BomberJet likes this.