zero foresight

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 24, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

More than likely, the teams that have the top 3 picks ALL will need FQBs, so they're not trading their pick, even for a slew of picks. IMO it's totally unrealistic for you guys to expect the Jets to be able to trade up to get a FQB. Even if the Jets were able to trade up, it would probably take multiple #1 & #2 picks, so that QB would have little help around him and the team would still have a bunch of holes. It would be a similar situation to Luck and the Colts. They didn't trade up for Luck, but there's still little around him, and that doesn't work.

2. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing with your point, I just feel it's important to point out that no matter what happens this year, this draft, and offseason, the Jets' QB in 2018 will have little help around him and the team will still have a bunch of holes.

3. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

hansen was inactive and steward made one nice catch.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

So your mad we won cause why exactly? the draft is a crapshoot at best anyway

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Definitely no to Garappolo' probably no to Cousins since he'll cost a ton to sign (plus a comp pick?), and I don't think he's the 2nd Coming of Namath. At #6, if the Bears had the #1 pick I might try to trade up to the first pick - I would want to be assured of getting my guy if I was doing that. If somebody other than the Bears is #1, I would see what they do, and if my guy was still on the board I would try to trade up and get him. If none of QBs I want are still available - and right now I'm only considering Rosen, Darnold, and Jackson (subject to change), but Barkley is still there, I would be very tempted to trade up to get him. All of these guys are Franchise Makers IMO, and worth the cost. If none of those scenarios pans out and I'm holding the #6 pick I might well consider trading down - depends on what's available and what the offer is.

Edit: I would trade "within reason". If I had to mortgage everything I wouldn't do it. In all likelihood whoever is ahead of us is going to ask too much, so trading up probably won't happen. #5 or worse is "draft purgatory", and where I expect we'll wind up, as usual.

6. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Anderson***, brain fart

7. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

bowles put mccown on ice for the final two weeks of the pre-season to give hack and petty ample opportunity to seize the job

the fact that they didnt is on them, not bowles

101GangGreen101, ajax and FJF like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with them "seizing the job". There is nothing to be gained in the long run by starting McCown. He can win them a few games that won't make much difference as far as becoming a SB contender, but will make a huge difference in them being able to get a good draft position AND finding our what they have in Petty/Hack.

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I get that but that's not my point. We know what McCown is capable of , and yes, beating out a couple of young greenbacks, well congrats on that!

But Bowles is calling the shots here, and imo, it's hurting the teams future decision making. Using a 38 year old QB to provide Bowles with a couple of wins in his pocket doesn't strike me as something for the good of the franchise in the very near future. Who cares if McCown leads them to 5 wins?.

Bowles is telling the entire media and fan base that he is putting McCown on the field to give them the best chance of winning? Yes, best chance at winning how many games? 5? Compared to Petty who may give the Jets about as many or 1 less?

He might as well try to sell refrigerators to Eskimos - I'm not falling for it.

10. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I hear ya but do you want to lose every game? If not which games are the jets suppose to win? If we're tanking we're better off beating the dolphins then say the Browns.
    Unless you want to lose every game which I don't agree with.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Is that when Curley Johnson kicked 3 FGs? Could have sworn that was in '69

MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  12. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Petty was 30 of 42 for 410 yds, 3 TDs and 1 INT in the 2 games he got any real playing time. This was after getting the scraps in practice.
    It's on Bowles that he did not give him a real shot, nor consideration.

BomberJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Currently 7th in the tank standings with 14 games to go. STFU.

14. NCJetsfan

That could be the case, but things could change dramatically between now and then. All of Mac's naysayers could be proven to be dead wrong, and the Jets could look like they have a lot of talent and not so many holes. With the cap space the Jets have, they could do a lot to upgrade the offense. If the Jets are picking at least top 3 in the draft, they also are going to have a lot of opportunities to upgrade the offense.

At a minimum Stewart, Hansen, and McGuire could develop into quality depth if not starters, particularly Stewart and McGuire. Anderson could continue to develop. They have Kearse. ASJ and Leggett could prove to be a very good 1-2 TE combo. Maybe they'll convert Lawrence Thomas to TE and he will be a revelation. LOL The Jets could upgrade the C position, add a RT in FA, a LT in the draft and upgrade the OL depth between FA and the draft and the OL suddenly be a lot better.

Petty or Hack could continue to develop and perhaps either could be our starter next year and surprise many of their doubters with their play. The Jets could add Rosen or Darnold, and the offense look totally different than it does this year.

On D, Bowles and Rodgers are the main problem imo. They need a topnotch edge rusher and a thumper with good speed for the middle of their D. If Claiborne isn't back or Burris doesn't develop, then they may need a CB or two. They're set at S and on the DL.

NYJetsO12 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

What utter nonsense. If you really believe that, I have a bridge I want to sell you.

Petty was supposed to win the starting job after having had few reps in TC, almost no reps with the #1s and while he was injured? Right.

Hack was supposed to have a realistic chance when he clearly wasn't ready to even play?

SMH at your brillliance and perception.

Bowles was going with McCown, period. Petty could have completed 100% of his passes, thrown 10 TDs, zero picks and he still wouldn't have been starting.

16. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Haha! Never pegged you as the "Rose-Colored-Glasses" type!

I'll sign up for all that and keep my finger's crossed.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yes absolutely true.

The thing is also, vets are still being favored over young players, I don't like that. Stewart should be getting more snaps. He's shown to be more explosive then Kerley, get that man the ball.

The double-edged sword strikes again.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Stewart had an amazing grab and disappeared. Hansen was a healthy scratch. I don’t get the mantra of progress when the coaching staff doesn’t want to play drafted young players. Don’t get it twisted, Bowles is coaching for his job, he doesn’t actually care about the progress of Stewart and Hansen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He disappeared because he played 5 snaps. A great coach utilizes the talent he has available. There are several ways to get Stewart the football. He is very good after the catch.

20. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Oh for sure. Stewart is a beast, he should be getting more reps but Bowles would rather have Kerley take those reps instead. Until playoffs are out of the picture, Bowles will continue to rely on vets. Once playoffs are out of reach his hand will be forced to play the rookies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#80 grkmanga31, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    NYJetsO12 likes this.