zero foresight

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Agreed hopefully one day we will see improvements in our players against a better team.

2. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

To reply to your question the last time we EVER won anything was Jan 12,1965 when we won SB3. Were U on Planet Earth when that game was played? :mad:

#42 championjets69, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  3. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Safeties win championships!

4. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

A lot of people on this board are on the "tank" train, but the coaches and players are not. I think Mac and Bowles are not on the same page. Mac wants to get the young players experience and doesn't care about the record. Bowles wants to win and doesn't particularly seem interested in playing his younger plays, but rather plays mostly his more experienced players (with a few exceptions, notably the two safeties). This is obvious from Bowles' decisions - he's starting McCown and playing a lot of veteran receivers rather than the younger guys more. If you don't care about record, then there is absolutely no reason to start McCown. McCown should be third string and only play if both Petty and Hack turn out to be disasters (and obviously not the future) or are injured. Similarly, if you're playing a more established QB, then you should be playing your younger receivers more to get them more experience. You'd only want to be playing your older receivers if you're starting a young QB and he needs to have some quality receivers that he can rely upon for his development. Bowles is clearly out to win games and doesn't appear to have gotten the memo about playing the younger players.

As I said during the preseason, the defense on this team will win them at least 4 games and the fins game was the first of them. I still think the Jets will win about 6 games overall (the 4 defensive wins and a couple of lucky bounces and/or wins against bad teams). We will not end up with a top 5 pick and we may not even end up with a top 10 pick. Hack or Petty better be the real deal.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

You contribute to your long suffering with this attitude!

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Seriously. If you are worked up, probably should find a new hobby. And I agree, you hope a QB will eventually work out for the Jets. Darnold might not even succeed. You never know these days.

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

That's the biggest thing, seeing improvement. I think before that got a taste of winning and it clouded their thinking. I think now they've embraces the rebuild and coaches know their jobs depend on improving the talent and they clearly dont want to lose their jobs. Its not that bowels is in an idiot, but now there are guys willing to listen and buy in, thats what NE does. They find guys who buy in and listen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I left that one open for you. : ) Your user name and that other guy's UN, BrandonMoore'sbutt, make me laugh whenever I see them. If you don't have a sense of humor being a Jets fan, you got nothin'. NotAJDuhe, TheBlairThomasFumble, and MarkBrunellsDebt are runners up. When I first joined here I almost went with BruceCoslet'sDaughter.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Sure didn't hurt the Seahawks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

10. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Honestly, if Bowles decided from day 1 to play one of the younger QB's, would anyone here or anywhere else criticize him or the organization for that? Considering that McCown is one foot in the retirement grave, why would anyone think against it? I would consider that a wise move in my book. Realistically, how many games are the Jets going to win with McCown anyway? I would make a good wager that it would be short of a wild card berth. And with that in mind, not playing the other QB's how the h$ll are we supposed to know if they have a place in this org?

Playing Hack or Petty would be a more enjoyable team to watch, imo. McCown is just muddying the whole picture here.

#50 BomberJet, Sep 25, 2017
    Cman68, NYJetsO12, dogg and 3 others like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Plus one million ..back in the rinse cycle for this clownshow

#51 NYJetsO12, Sep 25, 2017
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Disagree..

All the statistics show MOST of your top players go in rounds one or two e.g. Marietta Winston Luck
    Carson Wentz etc
    Outside of that it's reallyjust luck

13. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Both Mannings, and Eli's arguably the worst of the recent SB winning QB's.

Brady - sixth round
    Rodgers - late 1st (though he conceivably could have gone #1)
    Brees - early 2nd
    Flacco - mid 1st
    Ben - #11 overall
    Wilson - third round
    Peyton - also #1 overall...in 1997

14. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

But as a coach he is obligated to play the best player for the position. I think if hack or Perry we're even close they'd be playing . Probably scared of the media showing the jets game lowlights with circus music playing .

When you facter in that Mcown will probably get injured at some point , I think makes perfect sense to start him and let the young qbs polish their game and learn this new offense . I didn't want Mcown starting either but I actually like the way he's been running the offense . Seems like s stand up guy too .

15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That will be the tipping point for a lot of Jets fans.

dogg and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

Although the OP made his point in a very strong way. I have to agree. We are wasting time playing McCown, we need to see if Petty or hack can be our QB.

My personal hope is that they wanted to use McCown for a 4-6 games, get the O-line settled and the team on the same page regarding the new playbook etc. Then Bring in Petty or hack so they did not get killed the first few games.

I was totally on the suck train, but it was nice to see our new Safeties play hard, Our D step up and some of our young receivers showing flashes. Would be 10 times better if had been Petty or hack in there doing what McCown did.

We could always trade into the top 3 positions if we are out of them.

17. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

At the rate of interceptions Darnold is throwing nearly matching his TD's we may not even need the #1 for him. He looks great otherwise but no way he goes number 1 if he keeps that pace up.

The Dark Knight and LAJet like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I can't in good conscience as a fan complain about their win yesterday, except for the decision to play McCown. McCown is not part of the future, so why waste time with him, especially if he's going to make them just good enough to win a few game and screw up their draft position? I can't fault Bowles for playing him because as HC he's going to try and win every game, especially since he might need to put that on his resume for future jobs. And given their "co-equal" status, thanks to the "genius" owner, Macc probably can't force Bowles to do anything different. So we're stuck on the roller coaster until it finishes its run. Hang on tight.

If they keep trotting McCown out, and they win 4-6 games (as I predicted), I can only hope that Rosen or Darnold stink for the rest of their season and their draft stock falls, OR, that we can grab Barkley as a "consolation prize"...I could accept getting maybe the best "sure thing" in this draft, and hope for finding the QB later.

dogg likes this.
  19. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums up how I feel. If Hack or Petty were out there I would be cheering for as many wins as possible. Its tough to cheer for McCown when he isn't part of the future.

Looking at the schedule, the losses will really start coming in three weeks after Jacksonville and Cleveland. In week 3 its really tough to worry about draft order, when we have no idea how many wins everyone will end up with. Teams with as many as 4 wins have had the top pick.

On a side note, if the Jets end up with the 6th or 7th pick are they better off trying to trade up to #1 or #2, OR go after Cousins of Garappolo?

20. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

IMHO both Bowles and Mac have come to the conclusion that neither Petty nor Hack are the future.

The fans all want to see Petty or Hack instead of McCown because McCown isn't the future of this team and they want to see if one of those 2 can be the future QB regardless of who they select in the 2018 draft.

Bowles and Mac want McCown to start for very different reasons.

Bowles is still living the dream that should they out-perform expectations he'll get a contract extension and he knows Petty or Hack won't allow that to happen. Bowles is too short sighted to realize that "if" they do out-perform expectations they aren't getting their franchise QB they're stuck with Petty and/or Hack or signing yet another retread old QB. For Bowles it's all about job security not team development at the QB position.

Mac knows he screwed up taking Hack with a 2nd round pick. Playing an old QB like McCown keeps Hack on the bench so he doesn't expose Mac's bad decision further while setting up the team for a top draft pick in the 2018 draft because McCown isn't good enough to have a winning record or even a .500 record with this team. If they get a top pick Mac gets his franchise QB, Bowles get fired and Mac gets to pick the successor who should hopefully report into Mac.

The question is if Bowles plan starts bearing fruit and they win more than expected and that top pick starts slipping away what does Mac do? He's at odds with Bowles if that happens and has no power to allow the tank to happen by forcing lineup changes. It will be interesting to see play out.

Yankjetfan likes this.