Your Take on Brad Smith

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by sash1, May 19, 2006.

1. sash1

sash1 New Member

The most inriguing pick up in the offseason to me was Brad Smith, I'm real excited about this guy. I've got some questions, however, about where and when he'll fit in. First off we have him listed at WR, does anyone know what kind of hands this kid has? I'm assuming that during the combines he was positioned at WR (yes or no)? Are we going to plug him directly at WR or will we start him off on special teams (ie: Hines Ward his first year) then transition him into WR. Can this guy along with Tim Dwight return punts/kickoffs (this gets McCariens & Cotchery out of there :) ) What did he run the 40 in (fast/average). Can we line him up in the backfield (I heard some talk of that). Just how multi-purpose will this guy be (ie: Dave Meggett) or will he just be a WR?

#1 sash1, May 19, 2006
    Last edited: May 19, 2006
  2. Buttle

Buttle New Member

I have mixed feelings about Smith. I have read different draft previews of him. Some saying he is fast for a QB but slow for a WR and nothing but a possession WR at the next level. Then other previews say he is explosive and fast and could develop into a gamebreaker WR. Who knows what to believe. We certainly don't need another possession WR and we sure could use a WR with some speed. But regardless he sounds like a development project where we won't see much in return for a few years. In the meantime we can at least hope for him to do well. IOt would nice to see some special teams impact from him this year. He sounds not only versatile but like a guy that has a lot of positive intangibles and the kind of guy anyone would want on their football team.

3. HofstraJet

HofstraJet New Member

Is he just another Ray Lucas type, but with more talent, or can he actually turn into a quality #1/2 WR? He has unquestioned athletic capabilities, but is he a jack of all trades and master of none, or is he really that rare specimen that you have to find a place for, someone that you design plays for based on talent? It will be interesting to find out!

4. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

hopefully will develop into a slot receiver

5. 3lixer.

3lixer. Active Member

anybody remember Matt JOnes and Antwan Randle El?

Brad isn't that fast but hopefully he'll be as successful as those 2 converted QB's.

6. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Just watch some highlight film on him and you'll understand his value. I know he's in the NFL now with the big boys, but in college he could make entire defenses look rediculous trying to chase him down and tackle him. Another poster said he runs like he's downhill skiing, which I think is a perfect description. He runs through defenders like an olympic slolamist. I would say similar to reggie bush, but that would be a reach. He's more of a north/south runner that just makes people miss without a lot of wasted east/west running.

7. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

With that said... He'll make an incredible WR running short slants and WR screens. Get the ball in his hands fast behind the LOS and let him do his thing. His potential for trick plays would be limitless as well.

This year? Special teamer.

8. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Smith is definitely a phenomenal athlete, and he moves so well in the open field that I feel he'll be a natural at running routes after he really starts learning the position. The hands are an obvious question, but realistically, as long as he shows he can catch the ball with some consistency, he'll be a factor within the next two years. If all things work out, he should be our best WR by the time his first contract is up.

9. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

the guy ran a 4.46 forty which isn't too bad. I think with training and learning how to run routes he can improve that time. There's no denying his talent and he's got a ton of potential. He'll be special teams for sure thought this year. Hopefully he's got better hands than Justin Miller.

10. Zcore

Zcore New Member

B. Smith will do well, he has way too much talent

11. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Definately.
    Everything I've read and seen suggests that he has soft hands and can pick up significant gain after contact , but the NFL is a different ball game. Its up to him to see where he feels hes strongest , who knows we could see him in on 3rd down plays at QB.

12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm making it a point not to count on any experimental players, which is what I think Smith is at this stage. If he learns how to catch while twisting his body and simultaneously keeping his toes in-bounds, I'll consider him the steal of the draft.

13. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

If he can turn into a Randle El type id be really happythats really all expect from him nothing more than a great #3.

14. MedyrsChild

MedyrsChild New Member

Brad Smith is a better QB than anybody on our roster. We'll win 6-10 games with a Pennington/Ramsey tandem and the same amount if Smith were given the starting job himself. And I'm NOT being sarcastic. Youcan spout all that "this is the NFL' crap you want and normally I'd agree but Brooks Bollinger was our starter for most of last year. IMHO Smith isn't that much worse. It's a shame when players that can actually THROW the ball are FORCED to be WR's because the NFL game is so "complex". There have been QB's drafted in the last 4-6 yrs in the 1st rd that aren't even playing in the league any more that were supposed to be "NFL ready" but guys like Smith, Dantzler, Randle El and even my boy Seneca Wallace (at least he still gets to play QB) are told they may have to switch positions. It's not like we have a Manning waiting in the wings.

15. lamont_jordan_rules

... i'm excited to see this kid touch the ball ...

... without knowing anything about him or missouri i remember several times throughout the season just seeing him make plays that dazzled ...

l_j_r

16. k.Rhodes25

k.Rhodes25 New Member

His fastest 40 time was actually a 4.35 which is pretty damn good and at 6-2 i think he has potential to be a #1 reciever if he dedicates himself to the position instead of trying to hold on to his QBing career

17. Raiderjoe

Raiderjoe Banned

Hopefully Jets have patience to let this kid develop(find a way to keep him on roster), because its not going to happen over night. It would suck to see him develop, on another teams roster.

Jets | B. Smith struggles with press coverage
    Sat, 20 May 2006 10:53:18 -0700

Rich Cimini, writing for the Sporting News, reports New York Jets WR Brad Smith made his debut at wide receiver and showed good speed and cutting ability. However, he struggled with press coverage and did drop a few passes. If things don't work out as a wide receiver, the team could decide to take a look at him as a running back.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I wonder if that was Cimini's opinion or if there is actually some kind of source for that runningback comment.

19. lightning

lightning Active Member

H's viewed as a playmaker, he'll be used at what ever position he can be to create match up problems. I'm sure he won't be given a specific position.

20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

all i know is that he single handedly beat my south caorlina gamecocks in the liberty bowl this year, after mizzou was down by 21....his game speed is blazing, he has great vision with the ball, and in the open field he just has "it"......i really think that in 2-3 years, he'll be a great playmaker for us, i really believe that