Your Quick Jets Draft for 2012

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Apr 25, 2012.

1. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

I had another first round mock in line to post but I thought this would be much more fun. I want to get as much debate going as possible and hear from everyone on the board who is interested in the draft.

Here is the Jets order of picks:

Rd 1 (16) -
    Rd 2 (47) -
    Rd 3 (77) -
    Rd 5 (154) -
    Rd 6 (187) -
    Rd 6 (202) -
    Rd 6 (203) -
    Rd 7 (232) -
    Rd 7 (242) -
    Rd 7 (244) -

Here is the entire draft order: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NFL_Draft

Do what you'd like with it, make trades (be reasonable), select who you think the Jets should get and where, essentially have fun with it. Keep in mind picks 202, 203, 242, and 244 are not able to be traded (comp picks).

I'll post mine in a few.

2. JohnnyThaJet

I'm probably jinxing things by announcing who I really want/ how I think our draft will end up but Ill take the risk.

Rd 1 (16) - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame (Every year we have someone fall to us, someone we may not even expect, Ive been holding back mentioning that I really want Floyd to fall to us, but now since the draft is in a day I decided to just say fuck it. If the Bills dont pick him, I see him being a Jet, even with the recent Larry Fitz interest)

Rd 2 (47) - Trumaine Johnson, FS/CB, Montana (If you're not already on the bandwagon, get on it people. Ive followed Tru for the longest time now, he's impressed me over and over. I really think adding a great player to put next to Landry is important for this year. Tru will take a bit of time to move over to Free Safety but I think with time he can excel in our system.)

Rd 3 (77) - Cam Johnson, DE/OLB, Virginia (Any OLB outside of the first round we will need to groom, which is why I waited until the 3rd to select one. Cam hasnt visted the Jets, which concerns me about selecting him, but if this is how I think the Jets draft will go, we will need to select an OLB somewhere. Cam will take a year to transition as a starter, but he can fill in on pass rushing duties alongside Maybin. He will surprise many IMO.)

Rd 5 (154) - Tom Compton, OT, South Dakota (Can you say underrated? Compton has impressed me since playing at the East West Shire Game. He looked solid against tough competition and had a nice combine. Yes it sucks to go OLine so late in the draft but I'm starting to believe that this team really wants to see what happens with Hunter and Vlad. Compton has the ability to start in a few years.)

Rd 6 (187) - Najee Goode, ILB, West Virginia (Here is a kid who we can groom to put behind Bart once he is cut next year. Najee is a big hitter and sure tackler who has a chance to start in this league. He is a well rounded player, he plays well in the zone, extremely strong, plays well against the run, and can blitz when needed. He is that perfect battering ram you look for to play along side Harris but the great thing about him is you dont have to take him out on 3rd down like Scott. I'd love to have him.)

Rd 6 (202) - Michael Smith, RB, Utah State (Its as simple as this, you want a 3rd down back? Here is your guy. Smith played second fiddle to Robert Turbin at Utah St but still had solid production as a change of pace back. Smith is an excellent blocker, can catch out of the backfield, has excellent speed ran a 4.32 40 time at his pro day. Reminds me a lot of Chester Taylor.)

Rd 6 (203) - Desmond Wynn, OG, Rutgers (We've brought this kid in and seemed to have liked him. We always pick local kids and Wynn would be a great pickup in the later rounds. He has the size and physicality to play in our power blocking scheme. He's hard to project because his constant minor injuries could scare teams away, but 202 is a good spot to take a chance on the kid.)

Rd 7 (232) - Kevin Koger, TE, Michigan (Koger is a sleeper in this draft, if he played on a team with a consistent QB he'd have a lot better numbers. He has great size at 6'4 262 and has surprisingly good hands. He would be ideal for us as a #2 TE and can hold is own when he needs to block one on one. We should take a chance on this kid any day of the week at 232.)

Rd 7 (242) - Shawn Powell, Punter, Florida State (The 1b to Bryan Angers 1a in this draft in terms of Punters. Powell is a consistent Punter with a hell of a leg. He averaged 47.0 yards per punter last season and weirdly has never gotten his punt blocked in his career. He was a Ray Guy finalist snub and deserved more hype. He is consistent and would be an upgrade over Conley.)

Rd 7 (244) - Miles Burris, DE/OLB, San Diego State (With Westerman gone we need another project OLB, a guy who can learn the system for a couple years and contribute later on. Ive heard some call him Ryan Kerrigan lite, which isnt so bad. He has a consistent motor, has played standing up, and plays with great instincts on the field. He will need to learn how to not be a liability in coverage as well as gain more pass rush moves to help him against better tackles in the NFL. Worst case hes a special teams stud.)

There it is. You dont need to obviously put in as much detail as I did but I wanted to create a solid example. Again, have fun with it, eventually this will just turn into bragging rights if you get some guys right!

#2 JohnnyThaJet, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. JohnnyThaJet

The way I see it is, that whole "WR depth" thing in this draft makes teams hesitate.

Barron is now the Bills #1 target according to Schefter, very odd, but thats whats being reported. If that is true that gives him an even bigger chance to be a Jet. I think it goes like this:

7. Jags- Ingram (could surprise everyone and take Gilmore).
    8. Phins- Tannehill
    9. Panthers- Cox (possibly Gilmore here as well)
    10. Bills- Barron (if not Reiff or Gilmore)
    11. Chiefs- DeCastro (Could take Kuechly or Reiff)
    12. Seahawks- Coples
    13. Cardinals- Reiff (Could take Floyd but I dont see them passing Reiff)
    14. Cowboys- Gilmore (Could take Kirkpatrick, they must go DB)
    15. Eagles- Kuechly (Could really take anyone here Poe, Brockers, Upshaw, Kirkpatrick, etc)
    16. Jets- Floyd

I dont see any team trading up for a WR in this draft for the reason I stated before that all mighty "WR depth". Why not keep your second or third and take a guy like Perry if youre the Chargers and then take Jeffery, Sanu, Wright, etc in the second? Also, they have been quoted as saying they love their WR core and dont feel the need to draft a WR early.

#3 JohnnyThaJet, Apr 25, 2012
  4. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Rd 1 (16) – Melvin Ingram (DE, USC)
    Rd 2 (47) – Mitchell Schwartz (OT, Cali)
    Rd 3 (77) – Brandon Taylor (S, LSU)
    Rd 5 (154) – Tommy Streeter (WR, Miami)
    Rd 6 (187) – Danny Trevathan (OLB, Kentucky)
    Rd 6 (202) – Ryan Miller (G, Colorado)
    Rd 6 (203) – Joe Long, (OT Wayne State)
    Rd 7 (232) – Greg Childs (WR Arkansas)
    Rd 7 (242) – Vontaze Burfict (ILB, Arizona State)
    Rd 7 (244) - Matt Merletti (S, North Carolina)

5. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Rd 1 (16) - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
    Rd 2 (47) - Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall
    Rd 3 (77) - Brandon Taylor, S, LSU
    Rd 5 (154) - Nate Potter, OL, Boise St
    Rd 6 (187) - Najee Goode, LB, West Virginia
    Rd 6 (202) - Evan Rodriguez, FB/TE, Temple
    Rd 6 (203) - Brandon Lindsey, DE, Pittsburgh
    Rd 7 (232) - Jeff Adams, OT, Columbia
    Rd 7 (242) - Jacquies Smith, DE, Missouri
    Rd 7 (244) - D'Anton Lynn, CB, Penn. St

6. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Coples falls to 16 and we trade down with day Bears for 1.19, 4.16(111), and 5.15(150).

Rd 1 (19) – Dont'a Hightower, LB, Bama
    Rd 2 (47) – Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall
    Rd 3 (77) – Zebrie Sanders, OT, FSU
    Rd 4 (111) - Brandon Hardin, FS, Oregon St
    Rd 5 (150) - Devier Pose, WR, OSU
    Rd 5 (154) – Tauren Poole, RB, Tenn
    Rd 6 (187) – Chris Greenwood, DB, Albion
    Rd 6 (202) – Jeff Adams, OT, Columbia
    Rd 6 (203) – Louis Nzegwu, OLB, Wisc
    Rd 7 (232) – Brandon Bolden, RB, Ole Miss
    Rd 7 (242) – Gerrell Robinson, WR, ASU
    Rd 7 (244) - DeShawn Shead, FS, Portland St

#6 themorey, Apr 25, 2012
  7. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Love the first four picks. Addresses 4 need positions. Floyd would drastically change the Jets offense

8. JohnnyThaJet

I would be very surprised if Potter fell to round 5 but this is very interesting, I like it a lot.

9. JohnnyThaJet

So we trade down and only pickup a 4 and 5? Ouch. I think we could at least get a third rounder. Trading down for Hightower is excellent though, I'd be excited about this draft.

10. JohnnyThaJet

I'd rather Massie in the second, Schwartz is a bit of a reach at 47. Streeter worries me , while I like everything about him, his hands concern me the most, ask any Miami fan. Childs should go higher he's a 3-4 rounder, 5th at the least. The rest is solid though.

#10 JohnnyThaJet, Apr 25, 2012
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Rd 1 (16) - Nick Perry - OLB - USC
    Rd 2 (47) - Alshon Jeffery - WR - USC (Gamecocks)
    Rd 3 (77) - Markelle Martin - S - OSU
    Rd 5 (154) - Tank Carder - ILB - TCU
    Rd 6 (187) - Jeff Adams - OT - Columbia
    Rd 6 (202) - Vontaz Burfict - ILB - ASU
    Rd 6 (203) - DeVier Posey - WR - OSU
    Rd 7 (232) - Shaun Powell - P - FSU
    Rd 7 (242) - Josue Ortiz - DE - Harvard
    Rd 7 (244) - Desmons Wynn - G - Rutgers

12. laxin

laxin Active Member

1. Melvin Ingram OLB
    2. Lamar Miller RB
    3. Brandon Taylor S
    5. Greg Childs WR (fall back options are Marvin McNutt and Dwight Jones)
    5. Nate Potter OL (fall back option is Levy Adcock)
    6. Bryan Anger P
    6. Olivier Vernon OLB (fall back option is Miles Buris)
    7. Kelchie McCray SS
    7. Jeff Adams OL

Traded a 6th and a 7th for a late 5th.

Double dipped at OLB (Vernon has a ton of potential), Safety and OL. Upgraded ST with the best punter in the draft (although he could go in the 5th) and added an explosive element to the offense with Lamar Miller (might have gone David Wilson if he was there).

#12 laxin, Apr 25, 2012
  13. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Rd 1 (16) - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
    Rd 2 (47) - Vinny Curry, OLB, Marshall
    Rd 3 (77) - A J Jenkins, WR, Illinois
    Rd 5 (154) - Philip Thomas FS, Syracuse
    Rd 6 (187) - Edwin Baker, RB, Michigan State
    Rd 6 (202) - Najee Goode, LB, West Virginia
    Rd 6 (203) - Tahir Whitehead, DE, Temple
    Rd 7 (232) - Kellen Moore, QB, Boise State
    Rd 7 (242) - Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona State
    Rd 7 (244) - Josh Bush, S, Wake Forest

14. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Cheers. I am a big fan of Schwartz and think he will go in the second, if we could get him in the third that would be awesome - as Brandon Tyler is likely to go sooner than the third then you could almost swap those picks around.

Childs is a funny one, I have seen all kinds of different predicted spots for him.

15. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

if we can get Floyd, Curry & Taylor in are first three picks I'd be ecstatic.

16. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Rd 1 (22) - Whitney Mercilus, OLB
    Rd 2 (37) - Doug Martin, RB
    Rd 3 (77) - Brandon Taylor, S
    Rd 4 (100) - Brandon Hardin, S
    Rd 5 (154) - Matt Reynolds, OT
    Rd 6 (187) - Miles Burris, OLB
    Rd 6 (202) - Dale Moss, WR
    Rd 6 (203) - Drew Butler, P
    Rd 7 (232) - Sean Richardson, S (Homer pick)
    Rd 7 (242) - Markus Zusevics, OT
    Rd 7 (244) - Thomas Mayo, WR

TRADE: Jets send their 1st and 2nd round picks for Cleveland's #22, #37, and #100.

17. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Round 1 - 16: Mark Barron, S, Alabama
    Round 2 - 47: Andre Branch, DE/OLB, Clemson
    Round 3 - 77: Mitchell Shwartz, OT, Cal

Jets trade original 5, 6, and next year's 5th to the Broncos and get our original pick back (!?)

Round 4 - 110: Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa
    Round 6 - 202: Cordarro Law, DE/OLB, Southern Miss
    Round 6 - 203: Najee Goode, ILB, West Virginia
    Round 7 - 242: Robert Blanton, DB, Notre Dame
    Round 7 - 244: Brian Linthecum, TE, Michigan State

Linebacker heavy because they're eroding away. In 2013: Can't count on Thomas, we can't let Pace see that 11 million, and Scott will be gone.

On offense: Hopefully, Shwartz can do the job at RT. McNutt is a good countpart to Holmes with his downfield ability.

In 2013, we go and get a FA OG and draft our RB.

18. JohnnyThaJet

So is everyone going to pick Najee Goode?

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I dont understand taking Floyd, we arent a passing offense. We are a running offense, Id much rather take an Oline guy and get back to the ground and pound. I feel taking Floyd wont improve our team that much and wont be as big of an impact. Thats just me though....

20. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Sorry...this would be disappointing