Your message to Johnson brothers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Nov 5, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's been SEVEN years since they went to the playoffs, and 50 years since they went to a SB. What's silly is actually remaining patient while the same old shit is happening. Losing happens. Losing for years and decades is a pathological condition, and it's embedded in the owner's tolerance of it. If you don't tolerate it, you don't get it. Owners of perennial successful teams - in ALL sports - do not tolerate losing. They make changes until they win. Call it kneejerk, or call it what it is: effective.

This "rebuild" was SUPPOSED to begin FOUR years ago, but a certain owner didn't have the understanding or balls to do it. Then he takes a powder out of the country so he didn't have to face the fans anger, and he pushed it off on his kid brother, so we're all supposed to "give the kid a break". Nossir! Until they fix this thing, or sell the team, I will hold them accountable and direct my anger at them. You want to "give them a chance", then I'm guessing you haven't been a Jets fan very long.

alleycat9 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yep, unfortunately the rebuild didn't start until 2017. In 2015 they were competitive and they thought they had a chance in 2016 as well. I fully understand you can criticize Woody based on his career here, but Chris seems to have a different vision than Woody, so I want to see this through before blowing it up. I just want to see this team after next year's draft and $100m free agency. People forget that this is by design. The Jets aren't meant to be good just yet, they just don't have the pieces on offense.

The kneejerk thing is just the timing here. We've had years to be pissed at the Johnsons, why right now? Did anyone honestly expect a winning season? This is a young team. They sucked recently, but also had games where they put up 30+. I agree about Bowles and coaching overhaul, but not gm yet.

#62 Sam Hammer, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    stinkyB, LAJet and FJF like this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

While I agree that the rebuild only started last year, Macc has missed on a lot of picks after round 1. The emergence of Herndon and the potential of Maye give me some hope that he's improving. But he reached for Hack 2 years ago and passed on Mahomes last year, which would've allowed him to use the draft picks given up to get to the 3rd spot on pass rush, OL, etc..... Macc better nail next year's FA signings and draft or he's a goner.

4. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I agree completely that next years draft and FA will decide Macc's fate. This year will not. The same thing may even be true for Bowles, although I lean to coaching overhaul.

Red Menace and CotcheryFan like this.
  5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I have no sympathy for billionaires either, but this perception that they have not tried to field a good team is nonsense.

To field a good team you have to have people who scout, draft and coach well.

Please tell me what group of people in the NFL right now you will hire that can turn this franchise around next year.

Top tier GMs and HC don’t want to work for you, how do you remedy that?

6. Red Menace

I’m ok if Jets fire both Mac and Bowles at end of the year. They have had 4 years to build something that resembles a decent football team.

However, they have to nail it with the next hire as GM because they have a potential FQB that has to be developed by a good young offensive minded HC.

My argument defending Woody is not because I want to keep them around, it’s pretty simple, he has hired people that he thought would build a winning team and they simply have failed to do so.

He hired individuals that were supposedly good football people and they ended up being bad hires.

#66 Red Menace, Nov 6, 2018
    Sam Hammer and FJF like this.
  7. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Fire BOTH McCagnan and Bowles. Don't keep Mike McIdiot and his stupid philosophy that you build a quality NFL OL with retreads. THAT is why Darold is regressing--McIdiot signs and Bowles plays (and never removes from the game) a center who cannot snap OR block, and he is surrounded by his swiss cheese offensive line teammates--Any wonder why Sam can't complete a pass in the nanosecond he has after jumping for the snap and then immediately looking at 3 defensive linemen in his face.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Pay them a lot and give them autonomy.

I don't know who's available, but there has to be someone better than what we've got.

alleycat9 and Red Menace like this.
  9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Paper or plastic?

Plastic bag masks are much more effective. Let Jets management explain to the American people why a few dozen loyal fans have elected to smother themselves inside the dump on Sunday.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm so pissed off at this team I'm gonna wear a bag over my head while listening to the next game on radio!

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A few years ago I suggested that there is a middle ground that can get the same message across and get the kind of attention that neither the Johnsons nor the NFL would like one bit, more so than simply not showing up. The mindset did not yet exist to make such a move successful then but if Todd Bowles is still the coach when you drag your Thanksgiving bloated bodies into the dump on November 25th after the bye week why not send those asswipes the message that you're mad as hell and you're not gonna take it anymore?

Don't feel bad about going to the game but be prepared to miss a few minutes of the beginning. Stay in the parking lot until the national anthem is sung. It doesn't matter if you sit, stand or kneel but the Jets have proven that prayer does not help. Drink all the damn beer you want, but make it your beer, not theirs. If you drink so much outside that all you do inside is piss and puke, that's just fine and it keeps the plumbers and moppers employed.

Let all those empty seats show up on television and then let the cameras show the mob outside protesting the garbage on the field. When you get inside run a couple of patterns through the shops but, like the Jets receivers, don't catch a thing. As you make your way to your seats boo as loudly as you can regardless of what's happening on the field, just don't spend a dime inside the chamber of horrors.

12. Red Menace

Your probably a fan longer than me, I have been taking a beating for 40 years with this team, I don’t like it either.

The issue is all GMs start off as scouts, directors of player personnel and move up, I honestly don’t know who is out there that can change direction of team.

I hope next guy leans to building from trenches out and leans towards offensive players.

#72 Red Menace, Nov 6, 2018
    FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s exactly what Dolan did with Phil Jackson. You can get them here with money but they don’t come with the same passion like that.

14. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i just dont think we bring in great coaches or great management. i think at this point we are sticking with a loser for TOO long. i thought we stuck with herm for too long, even though he was having some success you could still tell he wasnt ever going to be a great nfl coach. and that played out in just a few years in kc. i thought we jumped the gun too quick with mangina but understand why it happened. its a shame he may have had some potential if he changed certain things.

15. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

dont do retarded shit like force guys upon each other. like saying you are both equals and work for me directly. woody has been doing that dumb shit for awhile now and it will never fucking work. what gm would come here and not get to pick the guy who he is supposed to over see? seriously what gm will do that?

coaches like great minds in the ownership box or guys that will leave them alone if they dont know what to do. its no surprise the steelers and patriots are good every year. they have good ownership. we on the other hand have a moron who shot his load on the west side stadium and got us stuck in this mausoleum with the giants for another 30 goddamn years.

the last owner was a buffoon too.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Woody the rube has zero football acumen and zero football IQ. If he had any smarts at all he would've kept his nose, his hands, and his face out of it, but he just couldn't help himself. I think his meddling had more to do with trying not to look like the Maras' retarded stepson than anything else, but all of your points are well-taken. It's been going on a year now that I've been threatening my Willets Point Story, but I swear I'll get to it! He's an idiot. A very rich idiot mind you, but still an idiot.

EDIT: Edited for spelling idiot wrong, haha. I should have left it and taken a beating. Queen of Typos that's me! Typos, sounds like an ancient Hellenic realm.

#76 jetophile, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Lol I’ve been saying that for months

Welcome aboard

18. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

fan since 1965. the lou saban/vince lombardi /chuck noll school of turning around losing teams involved drafting both offensive and defensive lineman early in the draft

and fillling in the other positons later in the draft or next few years. teams like dallas or pittsburgh draft centers, guards, and tackles in round 1 or 2.

teams that follow the mac plan have won how many super bowls exactly? practically none!

Red Menace likes this.
  19. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Update

Don’t let McCowns 3 wins fog your vision.

Todd (who is a nice dude) must be gone.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm not angry with you, Red, just disagree with much of what you said above.

Woody has tried and has proven that he is totally inept. The jury's still out on Chris, but I have my doubts about him. Woody hasn't done everything possible. He has never hired a Director of Football Operations and allowed him to run the team. The problem is that Wood wants to be a dilettante, to meddle and run things himself, rather than hire an experienced NFL man who was a former HC or GM or administrator, then get out of his way and let him do his job.

When Parcells screwed him, the team and fans over, he fooled around and allowed or caused Belichik to leave, rather than committing strongly to him, hiring a Director of Football Operations and doing a proper search for a GM rather than just hiring whom Parcells recommended.

Herm Edwards was not a seasoned veteran HC. He was a former player and former position coach. He hadn't even been a coordinator.

Mangini was not the right guy. He had many of the right qualities, but even if Woody hadn't insisted on meddling, and not accepting Mangini's refusal to tell him everything, Mangini had lost the team. He was too anal, secretive, and had little rapport with his players. That was clearly demonstrated when he went to Cleveland and was even worse there than here. Even if Mangini had stayed, he would have failed because the players would have mutineed.

I give them credit for hiring Ron Wolff as a consultant, but not Charlie Casserly. The right thing would have been to get Wolff to recommend someone as Director of Football Operations and allowed him to do the hiring and run the team free from Woody's interference.

There is some hope with Chris, but I fear he is too patient, passive and no more knowledgeable or intuitive than Woody.

We do agree that Woody definitely made a mistake in entering into a joint venture with the Giants. That was his first huge mistake. He gave Jets fans hope and then dashed them because he didn't do his homework in finding out the politics that would be involved, greasing the skids and insuring that it would happen, or having a sound backup site in mind, with a sound plan and homework done for that site. I think that is one of the key reasons why the Jets have never been successful long term and never will be until they get their own home.

He made a mistake in keeping Rex too long and then the mess with Idzik. He then compounded the mistake with the screwy org chart where Bowles and Mac were peers.

I am convinced that the only way the Jets will ever become a consistent winner is either for the Johnsons to sell the team or to hire an experienced NFL man who understands and knows the game to run the football operation, and then stepping back and allowing him to make all the decisions and hires going forward. Even then if they hire the wrong man, it may not work, but at least they'll have a chance. If he doesn't work out, then they can try hiring a different man to run the team. The one thing we know is that THEY can't run the team and it be successful.

We also agree that the GM should hire the HC. I assume that you also mean that the HC would then report to the GM and not to the Johnsons.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.