Your Big Board if you're the Jets (Top 15+)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by MobiusOne28, Apr 16, 2008.

1. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I figure we see enough mocks on here, why not try something a little bit different. You're in Mike Tannebaum's shoes and are making your big board for the draft.

I'm only going to do a top 15 but longer or even shorter ones are welcome. I'd just like to see how some of you guys rate these prospects from a Jets' POV. I'm going to comment on my guys but you don't necessarily have to.

Note that I don't have either of the big DT's on the board because they provide zero value to us, being a 3-4 team.

1. Chris Long, DE/OLB, UVA - I think if you're the Jets, Long has to be #1. He's got the attitude, the motor, athleticism, and skillset to work in this D as an OLB who could also line up opposite of Pace with his hand down in 4-3 sets. I see him as a better version of Mike Vrabel.

2. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas - I know some of you guys are down on McFadden and I personally think he's going to have the smallest immediate impact as a traditional RB of the big 3 running backs in this class. However, on an NFL training regiment concentrating on his legs, he should gain the power he needs to break through tacklers up the middle and fulfill his immense potential. He has the highest ceiling of any prospect in this draft and with some good coaching he'll be special in this league for a long time.

3. Jake Long, OT, Michigan - Long's probably gone by #6 but if he's not you take him and have the next great RT in the league. I'm not sure how he'll work out as a LT in this league but he'll dominate at RT and with Brick and Mangold would provide a very solid foundation for the future on the line as well as letting Woody shift to RG and take over for Moore.

4. Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio State - Right now he's a bit 1 dimensional but with work he's more than athletic enough to become a complete OLB in this league. Would terrorize Brady, Edwards/Losman, Beck/whoever, and other QBs in the league for years to come.

5. Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College - In simple terms, I'm not as sold on Clemens as a lot of people here are. I see flashes, and they are promising, but he needs work. Ryan's got everything you want in a QB mentally and build-wise, very good accuracy, and above average arm strength. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm only iffy about his deep throws, but those could easily be a result of needing work with his grip or just the fact that he had a sub-par recieving crops this year. I see a floor of pre-surgery Pennington, and a ceiling of the almighty Brady, which is good enough for me.

6. Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida - Being #6 on the big board, this is our worst case scenario in case if our top 5 is gone. Neither of the DT's offer us much value at the spot because there's no guarantee that they fit our D. That brings in Harvey, who is vastly underrated by many "draft experts". He truly shines when the spotlight is on him and knows how to take over a game. Shows all the tools to be a well-rounded OLB at the next level will very good pass rushing and run stopping skills. I really like this kid.

7. Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon - Turf toe? Big f***ing deal. Has beastly size with a burst and a lot of production to back it up. He ran a 4.40 at the combine at 235 lbs, which is ridonculous. Quietly had one of the best seasons as a RB in college football. The only reason why he's not neck-and-neck with McFadden is because he's battled a few minor injuries at Oregon, but it's nothing he couldn't play through. Should be a force in this league for years to come.

8. Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois - Measures as the most well rounded RB prospect coming out in the draft, with good size, timed speed, and a great senior year. He plays a bit slower than he times, however, and was being compared to Cedric Benson on the field last year, which may be a good or a bad thing. Off the field, however, he's much more mature and should be able to hold up in the NFL mentally. If the improved speed he showed this offseason shows up on the field, he's going to be very dangerous in this league for a long time.

9. Quentin Groves, DE/OLB, Auburn - Surprise, surprise. Would've been talked about as a consensus top-7 pick like Gaines Adams last year had he not had a toe injury to slow down his speed this past year. Is a very smart player and has proved to me at the combine that not only is he fully recovered, but he'll also be able to stand up and drop into coverage. He'll be a steal if he falls to the end of round 1 like many are predicting.

10. Keith Rivers, LB, USC - Essentially a bigger version of Vilma. At 241 lbs, he's big enough to play the part next to Harris. Makes plays from sideline-to-sideline and is excellent in coverage as well as being able to rush the passer every now and again. Also has sound fundamentals and is a hard hitter.

11. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tenessee St. - Finally, one of the corners. Was very good if not great at TSU and has all the measurables you want in a CB. May need a little time to develop but has Deion-like upside.

12. Branden Albert, OG/OT, UVA - I'm a big fan of Albert, who projects to either OT or OG at the next level. Provides a huge boost in O-Line depth due to being able to play anywhere on the line and also has some pre-existing chemistry with Brick.

13. Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy - Another talented CB who reminds me a lot of Revis. Doesn't have the same ball skills for intercepting yet, but is perhaps even more athletic. A good return man too in case if Justin Miller gets the axe in TC.

14. Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan St. - Has everything you want in terms of measurables but only put everything together in his final year. Has a very high upside and could help our offense immensely.

15. Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson - Would likely need to gain a few lbs in order to help us at 3-4 DE but you can't argue with his measurables or production. Has only slipped this far due to not working out at the combine and such.

For the record, if we stay at #6 I'd probably be happy with anyone in the top 10 here.

2. Jmart

Jmart New Member

1. Chris Long
    2. Vernon Gholston
    3. Darren McFadden
    4. Jake Long
    5. Matt Ryan
    6. Mike Jenkins
    7. Brandon Albert
    8. Derrick Harvey
    9. Jonathan Stewart
    10. Rashard Mendenhall
    11. Keith Rivers
    12. Leodis McKelvin
    13. Philip Merling
    14. Sedrick Ellis
    15. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

3. tangini_disciple

tangini_disciple New Member

1. C. Long
    2. J. Long
    3. Gholston
    4. Dorsey
    5. McFadden
    6. Rivers
    7. Ellis
    8. Clady
    9. McKelvin
    10. Harvey
    11. Rodgers-Cromartie
    12. Groves
    13. Ryan
    14. Mendenhall
    15. Talib

4. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Top based off need BPA crap isnt worth it when your talking about a 4-12 team teams in the later rounds have that luxury.

1. Chris Long
    2. Vernon Gholston
    3. Jake Long
    4. Derrick Harvey
    5. Keith Rivers
    6. Jonathan Stewart
    7. Matt Ryan
    8. Brandon Albert
    9. Darren McFadden
    10. Leodis McKelvin
    11. Mike Jenkins
    12. Sedrick Ellis
    13. Glen Dorsey
    14. Quentin Groves
    15. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

5. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

1. Vernon Gholston
    2. Chris Long
    3. Darren McFadden
    4. Jake Long
    5. Derrick Harvey
    6. Brandon Albert
    7. Matt Ryan
    8. Leodis McKelvin
    9. Chris Williams
    10. Devin Thomas
    11. Mike Jenkins
    12. Jeff Otah
    13. Limas Sweed
    14. Kentwan Balmer
    15. Carl Nicks

6. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

1. C. Long
    2. Gholston
    3. McFadden
    4. Jake Long
    5. Derrick Harvey
    6. Matt Ryan
    7. Glenn Dorsey
    8. Brandon Albert
    9. Quentin Groves
    10. Leodis McKelvin
    11. Jonathan Stewart
    12. Rashard Mendenhall
    13. Keith Rivers
    14. Jeff Otah
    15. Dominique Rogers-Cromartie

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Mobius1, my first 8 are exactly like yours and I didn't really go any farther.

8. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Fair enough, if we stay at 6 then we don't really need much more. I was just suggesting top 15 on the outside chance someone like the Saints, Lions or Bengals want to trade up for a DT or something.

9. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

1. Chris Long
    2. Rashard Mendenhall
    3. Darren McFadden
    4. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
    5. Jake Long
    6. Derrick Harvey
    7. Brandon Albert
    8. Jonathan Stewart
    9. Vernon Gholston
    10. Devin Thomas