Your 2018 1st Round Pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 18, 2018.

1. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

I think we get Rosen and the draft goes:

1. Darnold
    2. Allen
    3. Rosen

Rosen is the best pure QB but the other 2 show more maturity and are humble. It's not about how good the QB's are now but how you project them to grow as a professional. Allen has some of the best arm talent in the NFL and can sit behind Eli for 2 years and learn. I think that situation works out for the Giants better than Rosen who might get mouthy if he's not starting. Rosen would fit better with us where he doesn't need to wait for someone to retire in order for him to start.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I just pray there's a scenario where Rosen drops to 3, I'd take Darnold also, but wouldn't be happy with Mayfield

FJF and GasedAndConfused like this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Allen had a great sophomore season.

I’m not huge on Kiper but I love Mayock. The point is You said I’m the only one out there that feels this way about Allen. My point is that I’m not and the hype is real. Every analyst gets certain prospects wrong but Mayock played the game and from a technical aspect I love how he evaluates prospects.

For me Hackenberg only passed the eye test his rookie year with Billy O. When he left the wheels fell off and if u check out my posts from that draft year I hated Hack as a prospect. He had the worst accuracy I’ve seen from a top 5 QB prospect of all time.

This is a deep year for QBs but I’ll tell you there is not a guaranteed Ace in this draft. All the QBs in this draft have qualities that could make them a bust.

Allen accuracy under pressure and reading progressions.
    Darnold awkward mechanics and leadership.
    Rosen concussion/injuries issues and thin frame.
    Mayfield short with a small frame.
    Jackson accuracy from the pocket and football IQ.

Having said that they all have qualities that can make them Pro Bowlers

Allen has ideal size and incredible arm talent.
    Darnold great football sense and delivers accurate passes.
    Rosen is polished and reads the game at a high level.
    Mayfield very accurate and a gamer
    Jackson fast and elite vision for big plays

So NOBODY can honestly stand there and say they are 100 sold on a one of these prospects. They can love a prospect because of their qualities but none can say for sure and be honest.

#43 Rockinz, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

With all the predictions, I just want to point out, I don't think I've ever seen a draft where Qbs went 1,2 and 3 overall yet in the NFL.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree its a crap shoot but accuracy problems are an issue. if they are an issue in college it can only get worst in the pro's. That is why Allen should not even be discussed with the Jets. Just play Hackenberg he inaccurate too. He never got better either. As he has yet to see the field and probably won't this year with possibly 3 QB ahead of him. How do anyone define ideal size for a player. This is what happens when the Jets and their scout fall in love with numbers. That is how we got a Vernon Gholston and Hackenberg.

6. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

C’mon man.

FJF, Rockinz and boozer32 like this.
  7. Rockinz

Lol I didn’t even notice

Fixed

8. Rockinz

But this is where your wrong... Allen doesn’t have accuracy issues with a clean pocket or even rolling to his right. Where his accuracy issues were exploited is from pressure from a collapsing pocket or being chased down. Every QB has issues with accuracy with pressure. You think Mayfield is going to be accurate when a 6’4” 300 lb DT is coming up the guy for him? No chance..

Allen is Carson Wentz possibly even better.

BomberJet likes this.
  9. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hahahah! Josh Allen is Joe Flacco. He lacks anticipation and can't read the field. If I had a choice between Mayfield and Allen, I am going Jackson, but with that out of the picture, Mac will probably take Mayfield.

11. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think last time it happened was 99, 71 before that.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

nice catch. and number 1 and 3 were busts. 5 QBs went top 12

1 was good (mcnabb)
    1 had some good years (culpepper)
    3 were busts (smith, couch, mccown)

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  13. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Every QB drafted by the Browns is a bust. It's an NFL rule.

14. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes I do think Mayfield will be accurate because he's done it his whole college career. Like I've said before why do we want another Hackenberg on the roster. Don't you think we should go in another direction. Two QB's that can't hit the broadside of a barn is not what the Jets need. Mayfield got better each and every year. The last three years his passing percentage was 68%, 70.9% and 70.5% with 3700, 3965 and 4627 passing yards. This past year 2017 Allen threw for 1812 yards. You really want that as your first round pick, spending 3 second round picks and a swap of a first?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I certainly can't remember one. It's very rare to have 3 QBs projected in the top 5, let alone 4 of them. This is what the majority of analyst are ignoring when criticizing the Jets for moving up to the #3 instead of #1 or 2. If there were only 2 good QB prospects, then you trade to the 2, but there's 4, so at least you have a choice at #3.

16. Rockinz

If mayfield was 3” taller and 25 lb heavier he’d be 100% 1st overall

Think about that

boozer32 likes this.
  17. "My Favorite" is Martin

The Jets have had no recent success in developing a QB so I don't feel great about Allen here. I feel as though Rosen and Darnold are the most ready to step into a traditional NFL offense. I wouldn't be upset if the Jets take Mayfield because his play style reminds me of Dak or Russell Wilson. But if the Jets do take Allen, people shouldn't freak out one way or the other. QB evaluation is hard. Just look the the 2012 NFL draft. Russell Wilson, Nick Foles, and Kirk Cousins were taken in rounds 3 and 4. Guys taken ahead of them - RG3 (2nd overall), Tannehill (8th overall), Weeden (22nd overall), and Osweiler (2nd round). Luck who was the #1 QB prospect in years was the only guy I'd want over the 3rd-4th round guys.

SoylentGreen likes this.
  18. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ts-with-sam-darnold-and-josh-allen-this-week/

The Browns scheduled private workouts with Allen and Darnold this week at their pro days. Interesting to note that they skipped Mayfield's and Rosen's pro days. Looks like the Browns are narrowing down their choice. This is very good news for the pro Rosen crowd.

Hopefully Allen will pull a rabbit out of his hat this week and convince the Browns.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

My prediction always was that Allen will go #1. Coaches are going to fall in the love with the guy once they seem him throw a football.

20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member