Yanks@Jays

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by Hofstra Jet, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

This is the official end of our season. Worst Yankees team I've ever seen... What the hell did Stein spend 240 million on??

2. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Too bad about all those injuries, Hank knows.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I know you're saying that tongue in cheek, but really, I am so sick of hearing about the whole injury thing.

Pitching and defense wins titles. Of course, that assumes a team actually manages to make contact with the baseball. Since very early in the season there haven't been enough injuries in the lineup to justify the total lack of offense. It's been simply ineptitude at the plate, especially from the supposed best players in the lineup.

4. ShadeTree#55

Yanks are not supermen.

5. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

You see that's what made me laugh about Hank's stupid comments. It's like ok Hughes and Kennedy got hurt but they stunk when healthy. Arod was hurt for what a week? Matsui I'll buy as he missed alot of time but was that really that devastating of a loss. He is a good player but certainly replaceable. Posada? I questioned if they really should have brought him back. The bullpen like the Mets always stunk other than the closer and ours sucks yours is the best ever.

It's like ok that many injuries would kill the Orioles or the Reds but not with the rest of the team the Yankees have. It's not like every other player is a scrub.

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Hank's comments can't really be called stupid.He's not a reporter fro ESPN, hes the owner of New York Yankees. Is it that hard to believe that he didnt come out and say that the yankees were a bunch of overpaid baffoons? Might his father have done it 20 years ago? Maybe. But Hank didnt...yet. I cant call his comments stupid. Theyre just comments.

7. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Whether I'd call the comments stupid or not, I don't know.

He did give the players and new manager an out. It's okay if we don't make the playoffs because we had too many injuries is not a great message to send.

He could have said something like, "We have been hit with a number of injuries, but it is part of the game. We will fight through it, try to win every time out, and let the chips fall where they may. This great organization will not use injuries as an excuse."

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I agree, it was an out, and it should never have been given. Granted, Shade is right, these aren't Supermen, but let's be honest. This team had far too much talent on paper to be this bad.

Sure, it happens every year to at least one team, but usually games are lost by good teams who get bad pitching. The Yankees have had playoff-level pitching for much of the year, and yet they just can't score. If you can't put 2 on the board, regardless of the opponent, you may as well pack it in. Even if you manage a postseason berth, you're out in the first round.

Amazingly enough, the one night they put up 3 against Halladay they get atrocious pitching. They may have had a team meeting to ask who had the heart and the belief that they could still get it done, but the product on the field tells me that most guys who said they did just lied.

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I was told Cashman has admitted every single decision he made this year was the wrong one. Right back to wanting to key those two shitheads in the starting rotation. I hope it's true and I really hope he pays the price now. George in all of his senility would be a better GM than Cashman has ever been. Actually, he always did when he was deciding who would be on the team..Clemens, Wells, Nelson, Cone, Key, etc, etc.

#89 Don, Aug 22, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We can't hit Halladay or Burnett. We had our chances to beat Burnett and we'd have taken 2 of 3. We can make up for this series w/ a sweep this weekend against a team we have struggled w/ all year. I want to be 4 games out by the Boston series, 5 at worst.

11. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Exactly who told you that? For some reason I doubt it's even remotely true. Maybe Cashman regrets not trading for Santana in hindsight. Maybe. But I doubt it.

If he thinks every move he made was the wrong one, does he regret getting Nady? Somehow, I doubt it.

Come on Don. I'm pissed off too, but Cashman can't force the players on the field to play to their potential, and that's the root of the problem.

They scored off Halladay too. 3 runs could have been enough to win if we got a decent pitching performance last night.

I'll say one thing, I admire your faith in this team. I don't think they have a chance at the playoffs, but you keep hanging in there.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We didn't score until we were down 13-0 and iof it was a 0-0 tie I guarantee you we don't score 3 runs. Those runs were as meaningless as an ARod HR up 8 runs in the 8th. This is on the bats, all season it's been the bats. We couldn't pitch last night but that's going to happen from time to time but the bats have been consistently mediocre and never pick up the pitchers. We will miss the playoffs this year b/c of our lineup not b/c of our pitching.

13. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You assume a predetermined outcome then? That's the only way you can guarantee we don't score those three runs. It wasn't like Halladay was lying back at that point. He was still trying to make his pitches and register outs. Those runs could still have scored if the score were 0-0.

I like how you managed a shot at ARod once again though.

Anyway, I agree with you that this season is on the bats. I've been saying that all along. That's why this team needs an overhaul in the winter.

14. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

He is kind of right. I didn't see the game, but as a pitcher, with a lead that big, you DO hold back a bit. You don't worry about trying to hit corners or anything, you just throw strikes and try to get out of there throwing as few pitches as possible. Would they have scored 3 runs in a closer game? Maybe, but it is 100% certain that Halladay would have been pitching differently.

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'll say this..... your pitching sans Hughes and Kennedy has been awesome. Mussina and Pettite have been very good. I figured once Wang went down the season was over for you guys. They hung around and you have admire the guts this pitching staff has shown. That can't be a bad thing for you guys.

16. JetFanInTampa

JetFanInTampa Banned

This overrated, inconsistent lineup is why we arent making the playoffs. Despite Hughes and Kenendy struggling and getting hurt, and losing Wang and Joba, the pitching has still be decent. How many freaking 2-1, 3-2 games have we lost lately.

17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Don't lose sight of the fact that this was supposed to be a rebuilding season with the young starting pitching. It was only after the Yanks were in the race at the halfway point, management made moves.

I just can't understand how the front office thought they would go 3-3 with Joba Hughes and Kennedy. In my opinion they went less than 1/3, as Joba pitched well but incurred an injury and Hughes and Kennedy have been busts.

18. ShadeTree#55

Rebuilding season? LMAO

19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

$200 million just doesn't buy what it used to. True fact.

And you clowns who say stupid shit like this is the worst Yankee team you've ever seen are going to really enjoy baseball when you're old enough to drink some beer at the game.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Banking on rookie starting pitching to deliver a post season and World Series to New York, a void that hasn't been filled in 8 years.

or

Letting the young guys pitch and see what happens. Let them get their experience on the major league level possibly getting wins in the process all the while supported by a good lineup which can give them some runs so as to not hurt their mental development if they get shelled.

The latter is the mentality going into the season. Essentially a "rebuild" mentality.