Yankees @ Mets 05/18 - 05/20 Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by AlioTheFool, May 17, 2007.

1. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

proclaiming Clippard a solid starter is a bit premature. did he pitch a great game? sure. but he is also a pitcher nodody has ever seen before. I am not saying he isn't or won't ge good, I am just saying one performance doesn't indicate so either way.

2. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

Clippard, the next great pitcher. The should start getting his monument ready.

3. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

in the immortral words of the modern sports philosopher Rasheed Wallace: "even the sun shines on a dog's ass sometimes."

until I see proof otherwise that you posses some sort of ability to predict the future, I will consider your prediction simply an arbitrary statement that was not based on any sort of evaluation or study of empirical data.

I predict the Yankees will sweep a series in June! get your parade ready to celebrate my abilities!

4. ShadeTree#55

I predict the Yankees will not even sniff the postseason.

5. Pride

Pride New Member

Did you say that last year also? 7.5 games isnt a lot of games to make up at this juncture in the season

6. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

relax

guys relax with the clippard being the savor its only one start, lets not consider him a rotation keeper just yet he only faced the mets, lets see how he does against a real baseball team from the american league, remember he faced the pitcher so thats an easy out.

i will judge him once he faces a DH.

but boy do i hope he becomes like wang has become for the yankees.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Shade is pretty good w/ predictions, in 2004 Shade GUARANTEED a Mets div title after they won their ONLy season series against the Yanks- he was close as the only finished 25 games out:lol:

8. ShadeTree#55

Yankee fans are awful giddy after one win.

Once proud fanbase grasping at straws.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

He was already hyped up coming up to begin with. Last night just confirmed it. His breaking stuff is nasty. His fastball wasn't even getting above 90, and yet it was killing the Mets, who have an amazing lineup.

The kid is for real. I understand your point, but if you stick him in a rotation with Wang, Pettitte, Clemens and Mussina, and back him up with the potential of the Yankees' lineup, it's hard to imagine him not excelling.

10. ShadeTree#55

I would be shocked if Clippard doesn't win 300 games.

11. Pride

Pride New Member

As would I:breakdance: :beer:

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

You don't even bother to think before you type. Whatever troll comment comes to you, you just write.

Congrats on ruining everything the real Mets fans did here over the weekend.

13. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

You're only as good as your last game played.

14. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

He was hyped? Im not real knowledgeable about the Yankees farm system but I had never heard of this guy. Is he considered a better prospect than DiSalvo or Wright, for example?

He did look great yesterday, but I think it had alot to do with his somewhat unusual delivery. I'll be curious to see how he does when he's seeing teams for the 2nd and 3rd time. To me, its foolish to get overhyped about ANY prospect, no matter the pedigree, after one good ML start.

15. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

Probably more true in football than baseball. However, the Mets continue to win 2 out of 3 , 3 out of 4 game series as they have for most of the year.
    I was very leary about last night's starter. If you go back to last year, the Mets hitters always seem to have trouble the first time they are seeing a pitcher pitch in the majors. Willie alluded to this in his in-game interview. The Mets seem to have the type of hitters that seem to have to study a pitcher before they can hit him. The Yankee pitcher was as advertised. Excellent curve with a fastball in the 88-90 mph range. Interesting to see if he can continue to get by with that against major league hitters.

16. ShadeTree#55

He was not on BA top 100 list.

17. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

I think the game turned on that Reyes AB with the bases loaded. The Mets had the kid on the ropes and Reyes was ahead in the count and he swung at a lousy pitch. That's the kind of stuff he hasn't been doing as much of this year.

18. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

Baseball is a humbling game. Even the .300 hitters make out 7 out of 10 official trips up.

19. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

agreed, he really helped that kid out swinging at that 3-1 pitch. The game could have gotten ugly right there......at least make him throw another strike first....but I can't rip on Jose though, he 's entitled to not come through every so often

20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I was just being a wise guy back to Shade with that comment. But what about Maine? Wasn't he the ace a week ago? ESPN and everyone were on his nuts.