Yankees 2006-07 offseason thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by BIG COUNTRY, Oct 7, 2006.

1. ollie

ollie Right Wing NutJob

hangnails can be dangerous... he could scratch his eye out

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Jim Rome (that douchebag) had Johnny Damon on last week. Rome asked him about Pavano, and whether he had something to prove.

Johnny didn't let me down. He said flat out "Yeah, he's definitely got a lot to prove." He did go on to say Pavano's looked pretty decent lately though.

Who knows, maybe the dipshit has learned his lesson. It would be nice to see him pitch as a decent #3 or 4 guy, in the 5 spot.

3. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

He has a great arm. He has a great bat (for average and power). He has a great eye. He has great speed. He is a great fielder.

That's why everyone is so excited. He is a 5-tool player who is showing the type of growth (lots of XBH which will eventually turn into HR power, great OBP, low K%, etc.) at the age of 17-18 that many top prospects don't even show when they hit 20.

This is the key year for him. If he can really crush the ball at Tampa (which, barring injury, is pretty much a guarantee), he will go into 2008 as a top 10 prospect in all of baseball.

4. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, I heard some of what they were saying about him during the game. That he is the #2 prospect in the system behind Hughes. I just didn't know how he was defensively, so I figured I'd ask.

Nice to see he is a total package type of player. He can obviously hit, you can see it when he's at the plate right now. If he has this good an eye against ML pitching, or even AAA guys right now, he's only going to improve. And Lord knows, Donnie is tutoring him right now, so how can he go wrong?

It'll be really nice to actually have an OF who comes up through the system for us. The last ones of true note were Bernie and Roberto Kelley. I love homegrown talent.

5. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

If you want to watch the Yankees/Sox game, but don't want to wait for the tape delay version tonight... if you have DirecTV, put on channel 658. They have the live YES feed.

3-2 NYY bottom 2nd.

6. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

My brother and I are going Thursday night when the Yanks take on Atlanta...

Any stuff you guys want to know of and whatnot?

7. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Tabata goes down with Duncan. Dont be suprised to see Duncan get traded this year.

Yankees reassigned OF Jose Tabata, 1B Eric Duncan, OF Brett Gardner, RHP Steven Jackson and RHP Kevin Whelan to minor league camp; optioned SS Alberto Gonzalez, RHP Jeff Kennard and 1B Juan Miranda to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

The 18-year-old Tabata went 6-for-13 with a homer in his first major league camp. Duncan was just 1-for-10, though the lone hit was a home run.

8. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

So what's the deal with A-Rod today? I heard something about him saying on the FAN that if the Yanks don't win the Series, he should be out of NY. Then he later retracted his statement.

I didn't get the whole story, so someone please tell me there is a good reason I should not be calling for his head yet again.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He basically said he has the option and if the Yankees and their fans don't want him then it might be best to move on but if they do he wants to stay here the rest of his career.

10. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Okay, that's cool then. (I was really hoping it wasn't a big deal. I really want to give him one more chance. If he can just get it together, he can catapult the Yankees. As much as I don't think he should have to, I'm thinking maybe Jeter should come out and ask the fans to lay off ARod a bit. Give him one last opportunity at salvation, and see if he can redeem himself.)

If he blows it this time though, I hope he winds up in Chicago at the trade deadline. Let him have his daddy.

11. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

One thing about Arod, he didn't hold back.

But he left the door open for the fans to run him out of town.

12. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2797798

TAMPA, Fla. -- Alex Rodriguez tried to leave no doubt: He wants to finish his career with the New York Yankees.

Then he left it all up to the fans.

"It's a do or die situation," he said on WFAN-AM's "Mike and the Mad Dog" show. "Either New York is going to kick me out of New York this year, say 'I've had enough of this guy, get him the hell out of here,' and we have an option. Or New York is going to say, 'Hey, we won a world championship, you had a big year, you were a part of it and we want you back.'"

Later, Rodriguez said the rapid-fire nature of the interview -- he described it as "an absolute dogfight for 15 minutes" -- led to those comments.

"You're asking me what my sincere feeling is. I want to 100 percent stay in New York. Period. That's it. I don't know how many ways I can say it," he said on the show.

Rodriguez told hosts Mike Francessa and Chris Russo that in his MVP year of 2005, the fans at Yankee Stadium were incredibly supportive.

"In 2005, riding the wave of the fans was an unbelievable experience," he said, according to the New York Daily News. "Sometimes, you come out a little tired, but the fans get behind you, chanting 'MVP!' and before you know it, you have two home runs and five RBIs."

That wasn't the same in 2006, when he was booed at Yankee Stadium and by his own admission, tried to do too much to turn the boos into cheers.

"When you try to fight that wave of the fans being negative, expecting you to do things and you're playing pretty lousy on top of it," Rodriguez told Mike and the Mad Dog, "then you try to do a little more than you have to."

Rodriguez told the pair there were probably five or six teams interested in acquiring him this offseason, but he had no interest.

"The next time we're going to talk about this is hopefully in very late October," Rodriguez said. "I want to be here. I want to stay here."

The two-time MVP is entering the seventh season of his $252 million, 10-year contract, a deal he signed with the Texas Rangers. He can opt out of the agreement after the season, forfeit the $72 million owed in the final three years and become a free agent.

"You never want to feel that you're holding a team hostage," Rodriguez said. "I want to be in New York. This is the place I want to finish my career. That's it.

"We had options and we all know that, but I want to be in New York. That's it."

Junc has already got his stuff packed and the bus ticket out of town.

13. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

14. MisterMoss

MisterMoss PRO-American

Arod should just close his mouth. I don't want to read an article about his contract every 5 days.

15. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Well, given what he said, I have to applaud him. He's basically asking for one last chance, which I admire.

He's finally learned he's not going to get anywhere with his air of arrogance, and claiming to not give a damn what people think. It's obvious he cares, and at least this is an admission of that fact.

Like I said, I want to give him one more chance. Let's be honest, if he's the ARod that played further west, we have arguably the best player in baseball on the team. He would make the team better.

The key is him getting himself out of the negative spotlight, and just playing ball.

16. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Alio I heard the whole interview yesterday and I had nothing but admiration for the guy afterwards. He was as stand-up as one coupld be. He admitted that at times last year he was horrible. He was embarrassed and he knows he needs to be better.He said if he sucks balls this year he should probably get the fuck outta here but he also said that hes not gonna run away and give up.Of course everyone in the media wll make a big deal and try to find things that arent there from his interview yesterday but if anything I gained respect for him after hearing it

17. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, and without hearing the audio myself, and going based solely on what I'm hearing here, I have a lot more respect for him again. Maybe he isn't the media whore I thought he was. Good. I WANT him to be successful. Like I said, if he is, we are looking at a new shiny trophy in October.

18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I don't have anything to add, I'm just hoping to upset Alio for the third day in a row and get a hat trick. :grin:

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Hahaha! I'm trying to take the day off from angry.

20. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I think he's gonna have a great year. I'm rooting for him to. He addressed the subject and pretty much put himself on the seat.